Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tippex
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

wrote:

Could Bose be more transparent about the AirPlay 2? Sure. Are they obligated to? No. Apple is currently listing those spearkers who officially announced an update for AirPlay 2 (besides the HomePod no other speakers support AirPlay 2) - and no timeframe when it will be released. 

My guess is, that Bose is exploring the possibility on how to implement AirPlay 2 the best way. Suprisingly such a process takes usually some time. I rather prefer to have a "perfect implementation" which takes its time for developing and testing than having a buggy implementation which needs several updates to fix all issues. Sometimes it is impossible to give a timeframe. Apple itself needed almost a year to release AirPlay 2.

I am not convinced that this will be coming to the full soundtouch range based on the following info from the Sonos website (https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay2-coming/).  Their very detailed explanation says that only certain models will have backwards compatibility due to the amount of computing power required.  I am assuming that this will be the case with some speakers in the soundtouch range.  Sonos also explain that they aim to have Airplay 2 by the end of the year.  If only we could get such transparency from Bose.

All I would like to know is if my ST300 and ST20 III will eventually be compatible.  At the moment this is preventing me from buying any more Bose speakers and potentially compelling me to sell my current set up depending on what Sonos announce as their new home theatre speaker tomorrow.  Moderators, if you are unable to comment any further than you aren't able to give us any info and keep on checking, maybe management should be sent a link to this thread so they can see how dissatisfied their Apple Music using customers are?

Havvkeye
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

Based on the messaging from Bose I suspect both of your speakers will be compatiable.  Bose generally errs on the side of caution when disclosing compatiability, timing of releases, implementation of new features, etc. so them saying they are working to make it backward compatiable is a pretty strong indicator of it actually being that way in my book.

Aside from that, what does knowing right now actually do for you?  Are you going to give up a product that works well right now for a product that may or may not work as well that might get a feature before your current products?  That is just an empty threat, and not a very good one at that.  If Sonos actually released airplay 2 and Bose hadn't it would be one thing but with how Bose communicates, it is likely that your speakers will be compatiable and it is possible that Bose will have it implemented first.  Possible, not probable... Sonos seems to rush out updates and then lets user issues do the debugging for them more than Bose seems to from my experience.

tippex
Enthusiast
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

Let's not make this personal by questioning my integrity please.

I'm probably repeating myself a bit here, but I bought my system last year when Airplay 2 compatibility was announced.  This was one of the driving factors in making my purchase as I had been using the original Airplay since circa 2007.

I appreciate that there has been a large delay with Apple bringing Airplay 2 to market.  The Integration with my TV works fantastically, for everything else I have been using bluetooth which has quality and range issues as well as my music dropping out if I get a phone call or my timer goes off.

Sonos is already Apple Music compatible, having Airplay 2 which they have mentioned will be in their future speakers and the resultant ability of being able to integrate into HomeKit would just be a bonus.  If they bring out a AV speaker with HDMI (my reason for discounting them in the first place) as is rumoured then I would have no problem with buying the system that does everything that I need it to do.  I am in a fortunate position where buying a new system is not an issue and if the Playbase is anything to go by the sound should be on a par.

Having said that, if I were to know that my existing system would be compatible by the end of the year I would be more than happy to keep it.  It's the not knowing that is the issue here.  I don't want a system that might not ever do what I need it to.

I don't think that I have any more to say on the matter, so will leave this here as if I repeat myself any more I am going to seriously start boring the people that are following this thread.

cheplaya
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2016

I totally agree with Tippex. Bose does not have even half the music services that Sonos does, and they cannot even explain why. With similar prices, they should have similar number of services. It is totally ridiculous, that some services such as iheart radio that is available in US, it is not available in Canada as a part of Bose services, even though iheart radio is in Canada since last year. And Bose answer is " dont know" , so i dont trust anything Bose says regarding Airplay 2. The only reason I havent sold my soundtouch and gone for Sonos is because noone wants to buy it, and the store wont take it back . I have no hope for Airplay 2.

Marty K.
Mentor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@sunny2k1 I think most of us understand that a quality implementation can take time and most of us are willing to wait.  The issue is the lack of transparency/lots of secrecy from Bose.  What models will support it?  What is the general time frame?

Also, I'm sorry to say but based on what's happened in the past, its a near certainty that it will take them quite a long time to implement something, but a very real possibility that it might be entirely lacking in quality when its finally released.  And I don't think people should be willing to wait for that sort of thing. 

I mean, one only has to read this forum to see what sort of quality Bose delivers after months or years have elapsed.  The app recognizing speakers and the Play All feature are two great examples.  Those are core features that have been part of the product from the very beginning but based on reading this forum, for a lot of people, even to this day they either don't work at all or don't work well.  The Alexa skill took ~1 year after they announced it to release it, and while I could question its lack of features/usefulness, instead just read the forums and see how many people it doesn't work for at all.

sunny2k1
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

I’m not sure, that Bose can make an exact explanation, which SoundTouch are compatible with AirPlay 2 at the moment. Apple may say that each AirPlay compatible speaker is technically compatible. But which feature are useable and which not.

Airplay 2 is officially out for 7 days (5 working days). Sure, the speaker makers might have had access earlier. But given the fact that Airplay 2 needed almost a year (maybe even longer) of development, you cannot start testing on the various devices until the final release is available. 

Airplay 2 is so much more than streaming on two speakers at the same time. It’s the caching topic of playlist and so much more. You typically need to evaluate each system by system  which system is fully AirPlay 2 compatible and which features are not useable. 

WST2016
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2018

I’m sure Bose appreciates its apologists in this forum but as I understand it people are just 1. asking for an update and 2. expressing a desire for a product feature.

Companies annoyingly withhold information and product updates for commercial and not technical reasons.

The lack of information may be due to a desire to save good news for an announcement or avoid breaking bad news. The old devices may be capable of an update but for commercial reasons either Bose or Apple aren’t playing ball.

I doubt very much that Bose sat around waiting for the release of iOS and simply can’t tell us their intentions because their scientists are sitting in labs somewhere sayin ‘I just can’t figure out how to make it work!’
Havvkeye
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

Will it really make your feelings all better if Bose throws out an arbitrary release date?  The software itself has not been out long enough for companies to say for sure when they will be able to have it implemented unless they are either going to long shot it or put a date they will have to rush to make (and usually does not end well).  You can't just look at a spec list as a developer and say... yeah 5 months... without doing any work first.

Aside from the ridiculous need to know an implementation date the week Airplay 2 is released, Bose likely will NEVER release the date before it is actually implemented if you want to go by their non-USA Alexa implementation.

Having said that, hearing you sounding board types crying on eachothers shoulders is semi humorous.  If this revelation is that big of a deal or if you disagree with how Bose acts as a company... then go somewhere else already.  You made your point of wanting to know multiple times, as has everyone else.

Having realistic expectations and expecting others to be able to use some basic deductive reasoning doesn't make me an apologist, if anything it likely just makes me naiive.

cheplaya
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 12, 2016

If Bose gave me the option of refunding my Soundtouch 30 I will gladly do it right away. But since they are not offering that, I have no choice as the money invested is quite significant. 

Sonos has already said which products will have Airplay 2 on their website, and Bose hasnt. So the expectatins are realistic. 

If I tell my client I dont know when your deliverable will be ready, i will get fired. Not sure the kind of world you live in, but in mine we set targets and make sure we meet it, no matter what happens

WST2016
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 2, 2018

Yep. It will make me feel a lot better. I’ll be able to sleep at night and maintain a regular job. It is right up there with world peace and poverty.