Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpf541
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Re: Airplay 2 Integration

While i agree with you the Bose sounds a lot better than the Sonos. I did not add the airport express but i added a sonos connect. I tried replacing with sonos completly but sonos at the time did not have trur surrond sound. They had simulated. Not even close to sounding as well as my lifestyle system. 

But with a sonos connect added to my bose system I get the apple music now. But i should not have to add a sonos connect to get music services. Not just apple music. Sonos offers a lot more.

My complaint with Bose is the sales guy will always say it is comming. He is just worried about what he can sell you right now. But it seems like when dealing with apple both companies are acting like little kids. Pay attention to what the customer wants

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@mpf541 wrote:

>While i agree with you the Bose sounds a lot better than the Sonos. I did not add the airport express but i added a sonos connect. I tried replacing with sonos completly but sonos at the time did not have trur surrond sound. They had simulated. Not even close to sounding as well as my lifestyle system. 

>But with a Sonos connect added to my bose system I get the apple music now. But i should not have to add a sonos connect to get music services. Not just apple music. Sonos offers a lot more.

Interesting solution using Sonos connect. I chose Airport Express as that was what I was familiar with had been using for years and the 3.5mm port was still aviaible on the Bose SoundTouch systems.

>My complaint with Bose is the sales guy will always say it is comming. He is just worried about what he can sell you right now. But it seems like when dealing with apple both companies are acting like little kids. Pay attention to what the customer wants

Another confusing set of standards is 4K. The reps at the Bose store(and on this forum) were initially stating the older SoundTouch 130 systems could handle 4K. Turns out that wasn’t entirely accurate or at least there were caveats. Some customers have expressed understandable frustration when they realized the limitations of their not so old ST 130 systems and 4K.  

These standards are very hard to keep up with and stay current. I think the AirPlay 2 rollout is more on Apple than Bose. I also think the 4K saga is more on the industry than Bose.

dermiller
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

@Joel_D wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks for the posting.

The information we have available for Airplay 2, can be found HERE.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Thank you for sharing this link. I appreciate it. One question: Did your developers make any progress determining which models (ST10/ST130/ST20/ST30/ST300) and series (I/II/III) will be able to support Airplay 2? I am not asking about a timeline (!!!), because I can understand that Bose will not commit on any dates (even to mention a quarter could be risky). I work in the software industry and I know that you're better be vague with timelines or have to add several disclaimers. 😄

Bose knows best what hardware requirements are sufficient to offer Airplay 2 on the devices, so you should be able to provide at least a list of devices where it will definitely work on, there are potentially devices where you try to provide it for and there are probably also devices where you already know that the computing power is not sufficient enough to support Airplay 2. So could you maybe provide a list with these three groupings (Yes/No/We're trying), as you know which specs your devices have!

Please do your customers a favor, escalate this topic to your management.@ There are probably many customer you've already lost. I can't understand that nobody @ Bose is interested at keeping customers happy and informed. It is not a big thing we are asking for. 

Kind regards,
dermiller

dermiller
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

@RobertinBR wrote:

@dermiller wrote:

I purchased and setup a Sonos Beam last night. It's an AWESOME product that sounds great, was easy to setup, and have had no issues using Airplay 2. Once they can get Siri on as a voice assistant, I'll be in heaven. 

... but the silence might as well be a middle-finger to their long-time loyal customers. ...

What I don't like in regards to the Sonos is, that you need your iPhone / mobile device every time, I haven't tried voice commands via Siri so far. I am curios about the new Bose Soundtouch that will support Airplay 2 and Siri, that's probably a new purchase, as the current Soundtouch do not have a microphone. Today, I usually use the presets on the device or I use my iPhone to choose a playlist in Spotify.

You are spot on with the middle-finger example! This is how I feel treatend 😉

Regards,

dermiller

dermiller
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

I hate Alexa and it takes me usually longer to boot my PC instead of grabbing my iPhone. The preset and remote control was always the Pro for Bose and the Contra for Sonos.
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Can you set different Spotify playlists using the Bose presets?

dermiller
Collaborator
Registered since

Jul 20, 2017

@rickatk wrote:

Just one Spotify playlist per preset, but I don't need more than one at the moment. Why?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dermiller wrote:

@rickatk wrote:

>Just one Spotify playlist per preset, but I don't need more than one at the moment. Why?

I was curious how integrated services such as Spotify, that house numerous playlists, actually worked on the SoundTouch system. My curiosity arose more from another post where a user commented that in order for Sonos speakers to play Apple Music, over AirPlay 2, an i -Device had to be connected. I am assuming Apple Music over AirPlay will be the same as that is how AirPlay 1 works presently.

Currently I use Airport Express to access and play Apple Music on SoundTouch speakers. I am required to use one of my Apple devices (iMac, iPhone or iPad) to get the ball rolling, one playlist at a time. In my particular setup and because I am the kind of customer Apple and Bose likes, I have an Airport Express connected to each of my ST 30s located in the living room and in the garage. As such,  I can select different playlists for each location. Handy, when there are different musical tastes in the household.

The real win would be to see Apple Music as a baked in service to SoundTouch, like V-Tuner and Spotify.

sunny2k1
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 5, 2018

After re-thinking why Bose has not been able to provide a detailed timeframe for a software update yet, might be the way of the HomeKit implementation of AirPlay2. 

Additionally to the AirPlay2 "protocol" , older speakers needs the software authentication for Apple's Homekit protocol to enable the full potential of AirPlay2 (playback with help of Siri, etc.). 

The Sonos implementation of AirPlay2 seems to be buggy (no HomePod sync, etc.). 

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@sunny2k1 wrote:

>The Sonos implementation of AirPlay2 seems to be buggy (no HomePod sync, etc.). 

I am a log time Apple product user. Less time where Bose products are concerned. For the most part I have been very happy with the iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone as well as Airport Time capsule, Airport Express and Apple TV, albeit the Canadian version of ATV is still quite limited. The Bose products have been very good as well.

As far as non core Apple products I am a little more cautious. Apple will drop a products very quickly and some of the implementations are not smooth. Case in point Apple stereo. That speaker had so much promise but was dropped very quickly.

While AirPlay 1 is fantastic using Airport Express and Apple TV,  Airplay 1 baked into SoundTouch speakers did not work well. The same is true for B and W in my experience.

Your comments about AirPlay 2 on Sonos is not surprising. I think the AirPlay 2 rollout on Apple iOS and tvOS gear and non Apple gear like Sonos and Bose is going to be slow going.