Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

Airplay not working

Soundtouch 30 bought 5 days ago
Firmware updated 7.2.37
have restarted with the AUX button
have restarted router
have restarted the IPHONE 6
The router is a Freebox (French Internet provider router, no issue with it whatsoever), whith a NETGEAR wifi extension which works perfectly with all devices Iphone Imac PC and all.
And the router works perfectly as well with the BOSE S/T for internet radio and for capturing music storage from the Imac. 
RSSI of the BOSE S/T is "bonne" in French with connection to the NETGEAR extension
BUT still the Airplay cannot last more than 1 minute : 
what happens is the BOSE S/T disappears from the Airplay possibilities of the Iphone and cannot be reconnected until another minute, and then if relaunched the 1 minute of music again that stops again. 
Same instability with other Aiplay devices (Ipod, Ipad, ... ) 
Iphone Airplay works perfectly with other devices, including the TV box connected to the router. 
Being able to play the music that is tored on your Airplay Iphone is one of the mail reasons I bought this device. Any clue for this major malfunction ?
Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
This widget could not be displayed.
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Airplay not working

Hello Fabiodonato,
Thank you very much for your info and testing. As I'm reading through the thread I don't see any indication of the firmware version that is running on the extender. Is there a firmware update available? I read in the patch notes for that extender that the latest firmware release (v1.0.2.64) does resolve intermittent WiFi problems with that extender. If you have not tried to update the firmware, would you mind seeing if that helps at all?
To answer your questions regarding the wireless channel, the SoundTouch product picks up the wireless channel from the router, so whatever channel your router or extender is broadcasting on, is the channel that the SoundTouch would be connected via. We typically recommend using a manual channel of 1, 6, or 11 to try to avoid interference with neighboring WiFi networks. If you are still encountering interference after changing the channel manually, there are some third party programs out there that will analyze the surrounding wireless networks to see if there is a channel open for you to use.
Let me know if this helps at all!
Thanks again for your time.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Fabiodonato,

We have a few further questions about your setup. 

1. Can you please specify the model #'s of both the Freebox router and the Netgear extender?
  2. Does the Netgear broadcast the Same SSID (network name) as the Freebox router, or an alternate name?
  3. Which Wi-Fi access point is your AirPlay source (iPad etc.) connecting to?
  4. Do the issues continue if you use an Ethernet cable to test the speaker in a hardwired configuration temporarily?

Thank you.
fabiodonato
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

Thank you for your reactivity.
First, a slight error : I have a S/T 20, not 30.
Second : I have sent a logread.txt yesterday to your tech support email about the same time when I posted on the community. The logread.txt had been sent right after an AIRPLAY incident.
Your replies :
• Can you please specify the model #'s of both the Freebox router and the Netgear extender?
Freebox is a Freebox revolution
http://www.free.fr/adsl/freebox-revolution.html (sorry, in French)
NETGEAR is a WN3000RP V1H2 wifi extender, connected via wifi to the router and extending the wifi under a different name
• Does the Netgear broadcast the Same SSID (network name) as the Freebox router, or an alternate name?
No, it has an alternate name
• Which Wi-Fi access point is your AirPlay source (iPad etc.) connecting to?
AIRPLAY source and S/T are both connected to the NETGEAR extension when I try to make it work and it does not. Router is too far from the place I have located the S/T.
NETGEAR extension works very well to extend, for my IMAC, for all mobile devices, and for S/T internet radio and Itunes music stored int the Imac.
• Do the issues continue if you use an Ethernet cable to test the speaker in a hardwired configuration temporarily?
No, AIRPLAY works fine when S/T is connected via ETHERNET directly to the router. I have not tried with S/T connected by Ethernet to the NETGEAR extension.
fabiodonato
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

Additional information I have just tried with Ethernet connection of the S/T into the NETGEAR extender, it does not work, same instability as with the WIFI S/T connection.  
fabiodonato
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

To George, Customer support
As I have a bit of time in these days (searching for a new job), I have worked hard to narrow down the issue and I have had a very helpful call with the French helpline.
Conclusion :
the issue is interference between S/T/ Netgear repeater / Mobile Airplay issuing device.
It works well when I use the Imac Itunes and use the Airplay through the Netgear repeater
It works well when I use any device and S/T connected to the router itself
It works well when I put the mobile Apple device next to the router and not next to the repeater, and with the S/T connected to the repeater...
Of course, trouble is I would REALLY need to have my Iphone in my pocket in the same room as the S/T and this is the room that needs the repeater and cannot use the router directly, i.e. the kitchen.
Any experience so far with S/T / Mobile device / Netgear repeater interference ?
Any clue on how to terminate the interference ?
Change S/T channel ?
What is the channel(s) used by S/T ?
What is the channel(s) used by the Mobile Apple devices ?
Please help if you can.
Thank you so far and thanks to the French hotline for their help
All the best

Le 24 mars 2015 à 09:09, Laurent VOUIN a écrit :
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Thank you for your answers, and especially for your testing to both devices with Ethernet to narrow this down. Evidence suggests that our problem relates to interactions with the Netgear WN3000RP somehow. 

If you are running two different SSID's (network names) in your home then that could likely also be related to the problem.

In order for AirPlay to work correctly, both the Source (your iPhone) and the Destination (your SoundTouch speaker) must be connected to the same SSID on the network.  If your Netgear Extender devices is broadcasting a different SSID, then your phone will break Airplay communication with the SoundTouch speaker whenever it changes access points for better signal.  

Typically we suggest a single Access Point where possible, and the use of Ethernet over Power solutions to extend to other parts of the house.  If a Wi-Fi extender must be used, we generally reccomend that it be configured with the identical settings to the main router: The same SSID, encyption type, and password should be used
If posible. Give this a try and see if it smooths out the issue. Thank you.

fabiodonato
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

Gearge, 
Many thanks for your message posted just an hour ago. 
I sent you a new message simultaneously that narrows down the issue. 
To clarify, after your first message, I have changed the repeater SSID so now both repeater and router have the same SSID, code and type of signal. 
Unfortunately, this was before the last tests I have made, so it has not solved the issue and my message posted an hour ago is still 100% valid. 
Your help would be much appreciated if you can
All the best
This widget could not be displayed.
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello Fabiodonato,
Thank you very much for your info and testing. As I'm reading through the thread I don't see any indication of the firmware version that is running on the extender. Is there a firmware update available? I read in the patch notes for that extender that the latest firmware release (v1.0.2.64) does resolve intermittent WiFi problems with that extender. If you have not tried to update the firmware, would you mind seeing if that helps at all?
To answer your questions regarding the wireless channel, the SoundTouch product picks up the wireless channel from the router, so whatever channel your router or extender is broadcasting on, is the channel that the SoundTouch would be connected via. We typically recommend using a manual channel of 1, 6, or 11 to try to avoid interference with neighboring WiFi networks. If you are still encountering interference after changing the channel manually, there are some third party programs out there that will analyze the surrounding wireless networks to see if there is a channel open for you to use.
Let me know if this helps at all!
Thanks again for your time.
fabiodonato
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 22, 2015

Gents,
You should work for Netgear part time too.
Update for extender has been made and IT WORKS REALLY WELL ON AIRPLAY.
Thank you all for your patience and support, and great thanks to the French hotline which really helped 2 days ago with a 30mn or so phone call, showing patience and great knowledge.
This is great, I just hope it can display time soon, like my old docking station I dropped for the S/T. It was poor and weak sound, but it displayed time and could be used as an alarm clock... No regrets for the change but a bit of room for improvement for Bose in the near future.
Thank you again.
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hey Fabiodonato,
You are very welcome! Thanks for getting back to us and your kind words! We are really glad to hear that the difficulties you have been experiencing were resolved with a firmware update to the extender. We will keep this on file for future reference for other customers to see.
As for the display on the front of the system, that is certainly a great idea and we will document that as a feature request for the development team to see.
Thanks again for the follow up!