Leentoet
Registered since

Jul 22, 2015

Album tracks order

How to play the tracks of an album in the right order ? Now they are playing on alphabetical order.
11 REPLIES 11
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Re: Album tracks order

Hello Leentoet,
I have a few questions to try to isolate the issue you are experiencing:

1. What source are you using in SoundTouch application? Is that issue occurring with Stored Music, Deezer, or Spotify?
  2. If the issue is occurring with Stored Music, what source device are you using to store that music? Is that a laptop/desktop or a NAS drive?
    • If the device is a laptop/desktop, are you using iTunes or Windows Media Player? What version of that application are you using?
    • If the devices is a NAS drive, what is the model number of that device?

3. Do the tracks appear in alphabetical order in the SoundTouch application's Explore menu? Or do the tracks simply play in Alphabetical order?

Let us know the answers to those questions and we can move forward from there.
Thanks.
Leentoet
Registered since

Jul 22, 2015

Hi Michael
Sorry that I give you no more details, but here they follow:
1. I’m using my I-pad or my Mac and it concerns Stored Music
2. The music is stored on my LaCie nas (networkspace2)
3. The tracks appear in alphabetical order in the SoundTouch application's Explore menu and they are also played in that order.
my music is stored like this In the album A Bigger Bang of the Rolling Stones the tracks are named as follows:
01 Rough Justice
02 Let Me Down Slow
03 It Won't Take Long
04 Rain Fall Down
05 Streets of Love
06 Back of My Hand
and so on
and they are shown and played as follows :
Back of my hand
It Won't Take Long
Let me down slow
Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Hope you can help me.
In total I have stored 1660 albums (22.634 tracks) on that Nas.
with kind regards
Hellen
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello Hellen,
Thank you for the additional information. If this issue is isolated to the NAS drive then we know where to focus our troubleshooting.
The SoundTouch Music server relies on the NAS drive to provide the track, artist, album, track position, album artwork, etc. If the metadata within the files on the NAS drive is missing, that could cause this issue.
Let's navigate to the music folder on your NAS drive and see the metadata: 

1. Open the NAS drive in the explorer window so that you can see the files stored on the drive
  2. Right-Click one of the songs you are referring to above
  3. Click "Get Info" on a Mac or "Properties" on Windows
  4. The track order should be listed as one of the categories there. Do you see any of that metadata filled out?

Let us know if you are able to see any of the metadata on the NAS drive and we can take it from there.
Thanks.
Leentoet
Registered since

Jul 22, 2015

Hello Michael
I have attached 2 printscreens 
1. What I see in Mac's finderMigrated Image2. What I see in Windows Explorer
Migrated ImageHope this is clear for you.
regards
Hellen
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello Hellen,
Thank you very much for the screenshots. It seems like the metadata is there in the files. Let's continue with our troubleshooting:

1. We have a specific article on SoundTouch.com which details one of the steps needed for the Lacie NAS drives to work with our system. Curiously is the "Multimedia" service turned on at the moment? See the link to our knowledge base: Configuring Lacie® NAS drive for use with SoundTouch™
  2. As mentioned above the SoundTouch application presents the songs in a format which is taken from the NAS drive. There is most likely something on the NAS drive that we can change to allow this to function properly. Do you have any iTunes database files on the NAS drive? If you have the music library stored in another location, it may be a good idea to re-sync that library to the NAS drive.
  3. There is one hidden file in the album on one of the screenshots. Curiously is that hidden file in all of the folders?
  4. If you open up iTunes or another media player, do the songs appear alphabetically or do they appear as they should?

It may also be beneficial to contact your local support center. They may be able to isolate the issue a bit quicker than we can over the forum. You can find local support contact details by visiting http://global.bose.com and selecting your country from the drop-down menu.
Let us know if that helps at all.
Thanks!

Leentoet
Registered since

Jul 22, 2015

I have the multimediaservice turned on. I resync my Music library, but nothing changed. I have now stored some albums in my I-tunes library which take a long time, to get this in my library and update the ID3 tags. 
Now they appear in the right order. It will take a lot of time to get al my albums in that library. I hope you will find a solution for my problem.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Hellen,

Before we get any deeper into the technical aspects of this problem, let's clarify a few specific points about the symptom. In the SoundTouch app you can select at the top to browse by Tracks, Artists, Albums, etc. and normal track-listing behavior is as follows:

• When browsing by Albums and selecting a particular album, the songs should appear in track # order for the album
  • When browsing by Tracks, all tracks in the library will be displayed in alphabetical order.
  • When browsing by Artists all tracks by the selected artist will appear in alphabetical order.

Can you clarify whether selecting "Albums" at the top and selecting just one album shows the wrong order? Or does this happen only when browsing in the other two categories?

Also, when you mention iTunes in your last post, do you mean that you are transferring the files to your computer and adding a separate library from there? Or are you simply making modifications to the ID3 tags for files still on the NAS drive?

Let us know.

Leentoet
Registered since

Jul 22, 2015

I browse by albums and select a particular Album.
I make the modifications in I-tunes for the files which are still on the NAS.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

If adjusting the ID3 tags for the files manually is correcting the issue, then the tag information was likely our trouble all along. That tag information is what the LaCie drive uses to build its DLNA server index, which is in turn what the SoundTouch app reads to browse the library. 

Fixing this info may be the only way to solve the problem, but iTunes may not be the best tool for the job. There are a number of free third-party software solutions (MediaMonkey, ID3tag, etc. ) out there which can assist in the process of bulk-editing the info for your music files. 
Thank you.