Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rubberbands
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Alexa Skill “Bose play all’ or “Play all”

I recentaly added an Alexa Dot to my SoundTouch system (1x20, 4x10’s) But I’m really struggling with the Alexa Bose skill.

When I ‘ask Bose to’ Alexa tells me ‘there is no device called Bose that can play music’. When I ask Alexa to play music on ‘living room’ (one of my speaker names) it works fine. If I ask Alexa to ask Bose to do the same I get the same ‘no device called bose...’ response.

So my question is, without being able to ask Bose... how do I play on all speakers?

One other point is that when I use Alexa I can only play from Amazon music, if I ask ‘Alexa, play music from Spotify in the living room’ She tells me ‘spotify is not supported on this device’ despite it being setup in both the SoundTouch app and Alexa app (as preferred music service).

Anyone shed any light on these for me? I’ve been trawling for about two weeks!! 😄
9 REPLIES 9
deebedrock
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

Re: Alexa Skill “Bose play all’ or “Play all”

My understanding is the Bose skill doesn't support Spotify (I've no clue why when you can play Spotify on the speaker itself!!) or the multi speaker playback.  There is a second skill called something like 'Soundtouch Control' that has a lot more features and uses the 'ask bose' phrase (presets, multi room etc) but that is not available in the Alexa skill stores outside of the US. So if you are in Europe (like me) you are out of luck it seems. 

Rubberbands
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Thanks deebedrock!

Ok, well I can live without Spotify via Alexa, but no multi room really sucks! (I’m in the UK).

So Bose, can we have a definitive answer on why the ‘more complete’ Bose Control skill is not available in the UK? and will it ever be?

Thanks
deebedrock
Participant
Registered since

Jan 3, 2019

I think I read in one of the posts that you might be able to get around it by linking the speakers in the sounch touch app on the phone?  I'm not sure if that means it always plays on all speakers that are linked? I have only one soundtouch so haven't had the oppertunity to look at that part of it. 

Rubberbands
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

I’ve seen this and it does work, you can for example start music on ‘living room’ then open up the SoundTouch app and ‘play all’ but if you have to open up the app you might as well not bother without Alexa at all!

It’s a real shame, the sound quality wipes the floor with Sonos, but the software and experience just doesn’t compare! I’m very close to selling up and switching over, I just want these to work better!! 😬
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Rubberbands,

Thanks for the question.

I do not know if the Bose SoundTouch Control Skill will be made available outside of the United States or for other languages, but if we find anything out we will be sure to notify the community.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Rubberbands
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Erm, ok, thanks for the reply Brandon, just have to hold my breath I guess.
fraho
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Brandon,

why should Bose Alexa features that work in the US not make available for the rest of the world?? I'm really enjoying the sound quality of my two Soundtouch Series II speakers (20 and 30) but I'm getting very impatient concerning support for multiroom and Spotify!

Today I noticed that I can control volume via Alexa within the range of 1 to 100 - it would be nice if this could be changed to 1 to 10 because it's absolutely sufficient and would then be standard together with at least Sonos. How can this be communicated to the Bose Alexa developers?

fraho
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 6, 2015

Hi Rubberbands,

and there is one issue when you do the grouping of the speakers via the Bose app: You then can no longer stop/pause the music via Alexa!

Greg_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello fraho,

I have sent your feature request to the responsible teams. While we do not have timelines for new feature releases, should we get more information we'll share it on the Community.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support