Highlighted
tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

Alexa Skill a Great Start!

I have 3 SoundTouch speakers at home (SoundTouch 10, 20, and Wireless Link Adapter) and a SoundTouch 10 at the office.

After a day of trying out the new Bose Alexa Skill at both locations, it is a great start. The pre-announced skills work perfectly (e.g. on/off, volume up/down, play preset, play preset on speaker). I even discoverd that "Alexa, ask Bose what are my presets" works. I have seen some example skill phrases but it would be nice to see a comprehensive list of exactly what skills it will handle, including variations. Of course I would love to be able to ask it to play [some song here] on [some service].

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Alexa Skill a Great Start!

Hi tww,

Thank you for your post! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the new Alexa skill! We've updated our release notes to include a more comprehensive list of currently available Alexa commands. You find this update HERE. We also appreciate your feedback in regards to being able to "ask Bose" to play specific music. This would indeed be great! We plan on continuously improving the skill over time. I'll certainly pass this feedback along!

Best regards,

Brian

tww
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 10, 2016

A variation not on that list that I like a lot is, after asking Bose to pause, "Alexa, ask Bose to resume on (a different speaker)".

It would also be "easier" I think to be able to name the service/station tied to a preset rather than have to remember the present. 

After a couple of days a flawless operation at my home and office, I set up an Echo Dot with the Bose Skill at a friends house who has a SoundTouch 10 and a Soundtouch Wireless Adapter. The experience this time was a lot less reliable. Sometimes I would ask it to change the volume on speaker A and it would end up playing on B. I renamed the speakers to simple, distinct names and that maybe helped, but the experience was still a lot more frustrating than my original experience, often having to repeat the request to Alexa. Not sure this wasn't more of an Alexa issue than an issue with the Bose skill.

-Tad

fridmanbass
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2017

What an anti climatic Skill release after all this time waiting... Why do I have to "ask Bose to_" for every command? Why can't the speakers be discovered natively within Alexa just like with the Sonos integration? Why can I ask to play only presets when I have all these music services ready to go from Spotify, Pandora, Amazon music etc? Whith the time it takes to say "Alexa, ask Bose to" do this or that and the non functionality beyond presets and volume this skill is useless.