5678sar
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

Alexa Skill in the UK?

Now it's the new year, can you provide an anticipated release date for the Alexa skill in the UK? 

15 REPLIES 15
Havvkeye
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

Re: Alexa Skill in the UK?

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/A-Note-About-Feature-Timing/m-p/59632#M50877

One of the most common questions we receive is one of timing – “when will new feature X be available?”. Our answers are usually frustratingly vague. The bad news is, that’s likely not going to change too much. But we owe you more of an explanation as to *why* we don’t share detailed delivery timeframes. This might not ease the pain much, but we want to share. It ultimately boils down to three reasons:

1. Priorities can change. Especially with connected products like SoundTouch, new opportunities can arrive quickly out of the blue. Airplay 2 is a good example here – Apple came to us with an opportunity and we jumped on it. The reality is that AirPlay 2 is the fastest path to Apple Music which is what many of you have been asking for.  But the team that shifted over to Airplay 2 was working on other things that now will take longer to release.  When we promise specific delivery dates, we believe in honoring that promise…but we don’t want to limit our ability to jump on quickly emerging opportunities to deliver value to you, just because the marketplace was different the previous month.  When we avoid specific dates, we avoid the dilemma of choosing between breaking promises and reacting slowly.
  2. Stuff happens. We’re not perfect at predicting exactly how long something is going to take.  Unexpected things happen.  Bugs pop up. A partner we’re depending on has a change in priorities.  User testing sends us back to the drawing board. And when things like that do happen, timing can change.  So, especially when it’s many months in advance, predictions can be inaccurate, and we do not want to make delivery promises we can’t keep.  
  3. Timing matters to competitors (and partners). We want to be open with you, our customers.  But this forum is open to the internet – everything we post here is 100% public information.  Our products are positioned in very competitive markets, and if we shared lots of detailed timing information in a place our competition can access, we end up putting ourselves in a significantly disadvantaged competitive position.  In addition, when it comes to partner feature integrations, sometimes our hands are simply tied. Such roadmap information is also important to our partners’ competitive positions.  For certain partner features, we may be obligated to stay mum or risk breaking our partnership terms.

So, that’s our thinking.  You may not agree with it – that’s totally fair.  But this is something we’ve thought through and strongly believe in, and as a result, the answers you’ll hear from us will continue to be very limited in terms of answering the question of “when will this happen?”  We hope this helps make clear why that is.

Amazon please
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Hi,
In which case... WHY haven’t you released the Alexa skill in the U.K?
It’s very disappointing. I would never have bought a Bose multiroom system if i’d known that compared to the US, people in the U.K. are treated as second class citizens.
jacko303
Participant
Registered since

Feb 5, 2018

The US has the skill, so the skill exists!

How can you neglect other countries of something you already have. At least give an explanation for the negligence!

I wish I knew about this before I spent a fortune on your devices.

I will not be recommending your products to anyone from now on, I've looked high and low for this skill, but all I keep coming across is angry customers, you now have another one.

Please provide a solution, or even just a valid reason for the UK to go without for such a long time.

Sort it out!

5678sar
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

I'm sorry but for months we have had the same fob off and no actual answer that helps.

There is something weird going on, i don't belive that if the skill is avaialble in the USA, it would take long to modify it for the UK or other countires. Surely their IT guys could do it in a few days.....??

My friends all have Sonos and it works perfectly with Alexa and sounds great, if Sonos can do it, why can't Bose!? I'll buy Sonos next time. 

Justme2
Participant
Registered since

Feb 9, 2018

I too am disappointed with the lack of Alexa compatibility.

i have recommended that friends buy Sonos for this very reason. The world is much much bigger than the USA.

vivekkrsingh
Participant
Registered since

Feb 9, 2018

This is what i have posted in their product page in amazon india

amazon skill are not available in india that is really bose kind of thing they charge so much for their product and their products are treated as premium product and only premium customers can afford it to buy but they dont treat their customers as premium they released their skills in US its feels like racism do they consider other country customers as 2nd grade .They charge so much so they have enough money still they were working on skill more than year it seems that they donot want to spend enough money to hire good developers or enough developers to complete project fast.They can give excuse that it takes lot of time behind development, so take your time release worldwide at the same time to treat yours customer equal i regret that i bought bose soundtouch 300 instead of sonos but i have learned my lesson i will not buy anything more from them in protest for not treating their customers equally, though their speakers are good.I appeal to just boycott this company products in india

Its my personal point of view that they are good in hardware but are very bad when its comes to development of software i mean ill give 1 point out of hundred to them guys are reffering to github to make experimantal bose skill which they can compile and run themselves in 30 to 45 min shame on you Bose

5678sar
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 17, 2018

I have just realised that we don't actually need the skill to use it with Alexa - just use Bluetooth, it works fine - https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/soundtouch-10-and-amazon-echo-dot-setup.html
1972porl
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2018

I use SmartThings to connect and control all of my Soundtouch speakers. I also have them directly plugged into the Alexa dots via AUX. I can tell Alexa to turn on/off speakers and have not tried anything else yet. SmartThings is great and has Bose Soundtouch intergration. So, anybody with SmartThings does not need the Bose Alexa Skill and a lot of other skills are not needed, Sony TV, Philips Hue, Nest Protect, SmartCam, etc, etc. All can be controlled by Alexa via SmartThings!
Ritchie53
Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2016

OK - it's now 28 March. I have read your post which actually says absolutely NOTHING about when the BOSE Alexa Skill will be released. Basically it looks like your Release notes update which said that it would be released 28 November 2017 was, how can I put this, optimistic at best.

I have just bought an Amazon Echo to pair with my 2 x SoundTouch 10's only to find that it is, at the moment, useless for this. 

So - just what is so different about the USA from say, the UK, that means we can't have this Skill release ? Just how hard can it be ? Just what is holding it up?

Finally, can you perhaps now actually answer the question and tell us WHEN the BOSE Alexa "Skill" will be released to us lucky folks in the UK ?