Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 17, 2016

Re: Alexa Skill??

Ironically, mattius, the github link you posted is from Bose's SoundTouch product manager.

Yes he had it working but only with the Pi inbetween.

Problem is that Alexa API is cloud based and ST API is 'home' based.

Doesn't change the fact that they announded this 8 months ago! Disgraceful.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 24, 2017

Is the delay in getting an Alexa skill due to the fact that people like me haven't been posting about their frustration?  If so, I'm sorry and please add me to the number of folks who have been eagerly awaiting this for too long.

Brent, does "no new information just yet" mean that this has been put on the back burner for the time being or are there unforeseen technical issues that Bose and Amazon are still trying to work out?  I would love to have an Alexa skill plus the ability to search for individual Amazon Unlimited songs in the Soundtouch app.  It would be great if Bose could solve both issues at once.

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Starting to wonder if the demo in SEPTEMBER was like the Wizard of Oz (don't look at the man behind the curtain) 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Unfortunately, the lack of tansparancy by Bose is what has made this extremely frustrating for all of us.  It makes us wonder if anything is even being done.

As i said in a previous post, I purchased these to integrate with Smartthings.  The advertisment says it is but the functionality is greatly limited.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Probably what they used for the demo is the setup with the Raspberry Pi.  But a "real", proper and releasable skill probably requires the speaker(s) themselves to do what the Pi was doing - aka firmware updates are needed and that's maybe why its not so simple - plus also probably requires a bunch of infrastructure in the cloud to support this as well.   

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Not sure what you mean about firmware update  on the speakers. I suspect the Alexa skill should basically be a voice input to replace the keyboard input on the Windows app (for example)

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 19, 2017

Dear @Marty K., for me as a user snd customer who spent a lot of money on 650 it really does not matter if this is dificult or not. Bose announced the skill to be ready early 2017, then in Q2 2017. It is half of the Q2 already and all we hear from Bose is that it will be ready when it will be ready. It is disrespectful for us as customers to receive such an answer. I'm just wondering if ignoring our voice would not be less disrespectful...

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Jan 16, 2017

Might want to keep one thing in mind, Amazon does not just add anything submitted to the app source. They test it to see if it works before unleashing it on the public (at least in theory) Maybe they have not been able to submit anything that works to Amazons' satisfaction.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@maciekl I share your (and most everyone else's) frustration about this issue, many other issues around SoundTouch and the poor communications from Bose.  

A couple posters above commented that someone already posted a solution for this online.  I am just saying to them that while what was posted online is great, its not a real solution on its own that can be released to customers en masse, and that a real, workable solution is technically more complex than that.  So while its easy to say that someone already posted the solution online, why is it taking Bose so long to do the same thing, really, its not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Beyond that, yes, the difficulty level is not really our concern as customers, only their success or failure in delivering the feature in a timely manner.  Bose promised "early 2017" and what most of us consider to be early 2017 is in the past now.  So while they're guilty of communicating a timeline that they didn't meet for whatever reason they didn't meet it, they're making it much worse now by going in to radio silence mode.  Why the delay?  When is the new expected delivery time frame?  We deserve answers to those questions, at least.      

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 27, 2017

Please add me to the growing list of customers who are frustrated by the lack of the Alexa skill.  I have the following SoundTouch products in my ecosystem and am really looking forward to the skill integration.

soundtouch 10

soundtouch 20

soundtouch 30

(2) soundtouch sa4

soundtouch wireless link adapter

I REALLY want / need this Alexa skill soon