Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Alexa and Bose SoundTouch not playing well together

Now that the Alexa Skill has finally been released I've attempted to make use of it since my Speakers are on all day and my remotes or phone are not always close at hand.

First, I want to say that I've been working for several days with Tech Support (on and off shore).  There is an open case.  There was a problem with my account password that couldn't be corrected. I couldn't log in therefore couldn't change the password or connect to Alexa.  I created a new account.  Then the connection was established but I had to change the name of my speakers because for some reason it didn't like Soundtouch 300.  Eventually all systems recognized the new name.  

Now.  Alexa is ready for commands.  Of course I had to learn her limited lexicon.  That being mastered I attempted to change a preset with "Alexa, ask Bose to play preset 2" since my Beautiful Bose SoundTouch 300 was already playing preset 1 and I was enjoying beautifully reproduced sound.  Alexa responds "No soundtouch systems are on line.  Please check the soundtouch app....".  Of course I did as she asked and there was no problem found.  Even Bose Technical Support (BTS) got  into the act on my computer to make sure it was correct.

Someone wrote, I believe it was on the skill comments, "Make sure you use Alexa to turn your system on".  So I asked Alexa to do that, using the appropriate phrase.  She responded with "No soundtouch systems are on line" yet she can read all of my presets to me.  They must be on line.

For clarity, my system includes an ethernet connected SoundTouch 300, an Amazon Echo and an Amazon Spot.  All commands have been issued to the Echo.  My wireless networks include both 2.4 and 5.  Any hardware that can be, is connected to ethernet (hardwired).  I have now eliminated wireless connections to the 5.0 connection so everything for this purpose is 2.4 (all one network).

Rather than call BTS back again, I thought I'd write here where we might perhaps get broader coverage.  I should note there was a comment in the Alexa skill that a connection was working until the latest firmware update.  I started this process just after that update.  Since the update was addressing a similar issue in the app, it may be related to this as well. (note to Skill Development Software Engineer(s)).

I look forward to a fix for this problem so I can finally use Alexa to control Bose directly.  I can only do so much using my Logitech Harmony Home remote with Alexa.  You don't provide enough Alexa supported control there either.  It's a steep learning curve isn't it?

Regards!

Btbuz
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Alexa and Bose SoundTouch not playing well together

Hi btbuz,

Thanks for the post!  

I'll send your post up to the software team.  They are working with Amazon on increasing integration between SoundTouch and Alexa, and they will absolutely find this info helpful.

If you have any questions, please let us know!

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

This whole problem was solved very quickly when Techsupport on the phone had me do a factory reset. After that everything worked exactly as it was supposed to. Now I'm a happy camper. Alexa controls everything, even changes channels or even plays hulu (or any other channel on dvr ) on my roku.
Btbuz
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 26, 2018

How do you do a factory reset. I have an echo dot and a soundtouch 200
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi Darkenill,

Thanks for reaching out. I would be happy to give you reset instructions.Could you please verify what SoundTouch system you have?

Please come back and let us know,

Tony - Community Support