Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

Allow Guests to control SoundTouch system?

Is there a good way to allow visitors and guests to control my SoundTouch system while they are visiting? For example, is there a way to create a "guest account" with permission to access my SoundTouch components, without my having to give out my own personal account credentials?

Or, is there a way to enable a "guest mode" on my system so that others with the SoundTouch app could control my components once they are accessing the Wifi at my home?

I figure that once they have the credentials to access my home WiFi they pretty much shopuld be allowed to change and adjust the music.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Allow Guests to control SoundTouch system?

Hello @DavidKovanen,

Thank you for the post. There is not a "Guest Mode" function for the SoundTouch application. You could however have them once they log into your WiFi network, just download the SoundTouch application and it will automatically detect the account on the network without you having to provide a password.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 18, 2018

This is actually a nightmare. Soundtouch or the speakers should be password protected. I can’t bwlieve that anyone on my WiFi could hijack my speakers and play whatever they want at any time. Bose, you need to fix this.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

I suggest bluetooth for guests (if you have new series speakers that have that option).  They won't have as much control of the system, but in most cases, I bet it would be enough.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 7, 2018

Anyone with access to your wifi can do a lot worse than "hijack" your speakers. Someone who knows what they are doing can do a lot more to ANYTHING connected to your network. If you watch silicon valley on HBO, think of the smart fridges for reference 🙂
The point is that soundtouch and many other companies' smart home devices rely on your network's security. Honestly it may be best just to set up a separate guest network if you're concerned. Most routers these day come with the option built in.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 24, 2018

It's not a Nightmare.

I asked for guest functionality, not unrestricted access.

And, I don't think anybody on your network can play anything they want. Right now, a SoundTouch account and password is required. I am suggesting a guest account with the ability to play. And, a guess password would be fine, although I control who can access my WiFi network, and it is password protected, so the "nightmare" you suggest is only possible if you have an open, promiscuous network.