GrammaHobbit
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

App cannot find speakers

Yesterday I connected a new SoundTouch 10 to our home network through our MacBook Pro, and it worked fine. This morning I connected a second SoundTouch 10 to the network. I'm having no problems playing music from iTunes through the first speaker, but the second one won't stay connected. The internet light is lighted on the front of the speaker, but it doesn't show up as a speaker option when I select music to be played. I'd even set up a group with the two speakers so that I could play the same music in different parts of the house, and the group won't show up, either. And the second speaker (although it's plugged in and turned on) won't play now. It played fine when I first set it up this morning, but it wasn't playing what the first speaker played. When I go into "speaker settings," the second speaker shows up as an option. When I click on it, I'm given two options: connect to a Wi-Fi network, or create stereo pair. I don't want to do the latter; I just want to have the two speakers playing the same thing in different parts of the house. When I click on "connect to a Wi-Fi network," I'm given the options of using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. A third option is "speaker already connected to network." I connected it to our home network – twice! – this morning, but the network can't find it. It found it earlier. And the speaker is turned on. What's going on, and how do I fix this?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: App cannot find speakers

Hello GrammaHobbit,

Thank you for posting and welcome.

Sorry to see you're running into issues with your second SoundTouch 10, but I'd like to help.

Let's test by performing a factory default on the SoundTouch 10 that is running into the issue, and instructions can be found HERE.

After the factory default, please set the system back up to your network and let us know how everything works.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Lanky Lad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

I’ve been having the same problem for over a week now, with my ST10 (2off), ST30 and ST300. I’ve done factory resets as well as followed all the instructions to add or reconnect a speaker. After several attempts it might reconnect but then drops out again a day later.
Very frustrated with an expensive piece of kit, not impressed.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Lanky Lad,

Thanks for the post.

Has anything changed in your ecosystem at home? Did you get a new router or has it always been the same?

Let me know the results so I can investigate this further for you. 

Kind Regards,

Joel 

Highlighted
GrammaHobbit
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

I didn't read this until late in the day, but I'll give this a try tomorrow morning and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion!

Highlighted
Lanky Lad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 25, 2017

Hi Joel,
Well as I mentioned this has been going on for a week or so and then when I write in the forum it behaves, typical!
I unplugged all the ST speakers and router, plugged the router back in and let it be up and running, then plugged the ST speakers back in, did a factory reset then the process for “adding s speaker” and one by one they all connected first time!
My frustration is I’ve been doing this repetitively for about a week with no joy, then it works, I’ve no idea why, the only thing I can think off is the broadband/fibre supplier has been maintaining or resolving something at there end.

Thank you for you prompt response to assist

Peter.
Highlighted
GrammaHobbit
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

That yellow LED light has gone out now. And I tried to locate the speaker on the network, but the app still can't find the speaker. I'll try restarting the router when I get a chance and see whether that helps.

Highlighted
GrammaHobbit
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

OK. This is weird. I rebooted the router and went through the connection process of getting the second speaker online. And – voilá! – it connected just fine. But as soon as it connected, the first speaker (which had been playing at the time) lost its connection. And now I can't get the first speaker to connect. It seems to be one or the other. 

My network is run by an Apple router, an AirPort Express that we've had for a couple of years. On the network are an iMac, a MacBook Pro, two iPhones, and an HP four-way printer. It's supposed to be able to handle up to ten devices. What could be going on?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Peter,

Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm happy to see everything is working now. It's hard to say what caused this and what resolved the issue. It could have been an update that your ISP pushed to your router or they could have been working on the servers for your internet service. 

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi GrammaHobbit,

Thank you for testing that for me. 

This certainly an odd issue that is happening. How many different Wi-Fi names are displayed in your home? Did you also try power cycling the Airport Express as well as the other router that is connected to?

Can you also check and see if there is an update available for your Airport Express?

After that is completed, you don't have to go through setup on the SoundTouch systems that you previously connected to the network. They remember the network credentials from the initial time you set them up. You may only have to unplug them from power for 20 seconds.

Kind Regards,

Joel