Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 10, 2018

Re: Apple Airplay 2 and Bose SoundTouch...what lies ahead

Prefacing this comment with I love Bose and Apple.  However Bose's current direction infuriates me that they would abandon this line.  I have spent thousands in this line, directly and indirectly; personally, suggesting to my family, and to clients with a mixture of ST10's, 20's, ST300's and SA5's with an assortment of in-ceiling/wall and outdoor Bose speakers.  AirPlay2 has been promised and was listed on the ST product lines webpage but removed since the launch of the Home Series.  I can't help but see this a pure money grab.  Additionaly just my personal preference, the ST line is much better looking than the new plastic looking home thing with screen.  Keep it simple and eligant Bose, stick with what youre good at (audio) and leave the smart stuff upto the tech companies (just as I would tell Apple to stick with computers and not audio).  Be agnostic and open to all platforms, why allign yourself with one (Alexa).  Big thumbs down on this move.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 11, 2018

I pretty much agree with you across the board. I have thousands invested in the Soundtouch line and I love the audio performance of these devices.

I bought based on the promise of AirPlay 2 support.

I will NEVER buy a Bose product with Alexa built in. Amazon has ZERO concern for privacy or security. They will be hacked and the “private” recorded conversations of millions will be out there. Amazon does not care about anything but monetizing personal data - just like Facebook and Google.

Apple does not work this way and it’s one of the key reasons I was excited at AirPlay 2 coming to Soundtouch products. It’s a disappointment.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2016

@KurticusRex,

I have a Amazon Fire TV with the remote that listens, and I have the Alexa App on my ipad. The Alexa App on the ipad is definitely listening. I’m not a paranoid person at all. I don’t care if they’re listening, but it’s wrong and they should admit it. I was talking to my kids (adult millenials) about a man who once helped us move when my oldest was a baby. He made us iced tea from bluberry leaves which was really good. About an hour later I picked up my ipad and I had an offer from Amazon for Blueberry Tea Bags. What are the chances of that? I could never purchase that way and acknowledge that their eavesdropping was working.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2017

I agree 100% with your comment. I have been waiting patiently for Bose AirPlay 2 support. Over the past several years Bose has continually let me down in their extremely poor support for their products. After 30 years of relying on Bose for my sound (previously wired speakers and for the last 5 years wireless SoundTouch products), I am finally moving 100% to Apple’s HomePod system and I will not be coming back to Bose. Black Friday is here and I have just purchased HomePods. Bye bye Bose.