AppleNBose
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2018

Re: Apple Music on Soundtouch

Great inclusion with the “side note”...Your sarcasm goes with the “friendly” part of your forum description.

shickey
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

I have been following this thread with interest and now am a bit confused and would appreciate some help.

I access apple music via my iphone or itunes on a windows pc. I connect to one of my soundtouch speakers using bluetooth and then use the "play all" function on the bose app to connect to my other soundtouch speaker. I appreciate that I'm not playing apple music via broadband but other than the range issues between my phone / pc and the main speaker I'm perfectly happy with this set up. The quality seems good. And it requires and extra step but it's hardly a major issue.

Or am I missing something?

Stephen

Brian_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi shickey,

Since Apple Music is not currently available as a SoundTouch music service within the SoundTouch app, what you've described is actually what we recommend as an alternate solution. You can stream any music content that is not available within the SoundTouch app, using Bluetooth from your mobile device. You can then rebroadcast this Bluetooth audio using the SoundTouch app, to multiple SoundTouch speakers. We're happy to hear that this method has been working for you! 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Hi Shickey: The Bose Moderator provided a clear succinct response to your question.

A few extra thoughts...

You are using your SoundTouch device via BlueTooth in the correct manner. Bluetooth, while relatively convenient, is arguably inferior to WiFi for the following reasons:

Bluetooth is suceptable to device system sounds such as an incoming phone calls or email. Check out this video from Sonos— funny but true:             https://youtu.be/Zrlqa1SwGUM

Bluetooth 4 arguably lacks the fidelity of a WiFi connection. BlueTooth 5 may improve on that point.

AirPlay and AppleMusic

Version 3 SoundTouch devices dropped Airplay annoying many Apple Music fans not enamered by having  to use Bluetooth as a connection standard. Alternatively adding in an Airport Express for Apple Music access has produced good results. I did that and remain very happy with the solution but this is not ideal if you are looking to add Apple Music as a built in service. Bose has a silimar approach for adding SoundTouch to non Bose products that don’t support SoundTouch.

Apple Music was never offered as a built in music service for SoundTouch speakers and systems, annoying legions more customers and potential customers. I beleive this will continue even after AirPlay 2 is rolled out  as a connection method for certain Bose devices. The choice will then be Apple Music from your iPhone, iPad or Mac over AirPlay, no Airport Express required. Offering Apple Music of course is a different set of negotiations and Sonos seem to have wrapped that up for now.

Alot of people just don’t like using Bluetooth connecting  their  peripherals to thier Sound Touch gear, for the reasons cited above. There are probably more reasons I am not aware of. So if your are not particular about how your devices are connected and are happy with your BlueTooth connection you are the customer Bose is catering to right now.

In short: No you aren’t missing anything as you are enjoying your Bose SoundTouch using BlueTooth to connect your gear .

BTW: As it stands Bose is the only premium wireless speaker system that doesn’t either offer AirPlay or Apple Music as a built in service and Bose has taken a lot of flack deservedly.

shickey
Participant
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Thanks for showing interest and taking the time to respond to my post.

I now better understand the issues. I usually set my phone to night mode to prevent the irritating notification noises but of course that means I might miss a call! I've listened to the same track on apple music / bluetooth and amazon music / wifi and I'm convinced the quality via wifi is better - but to be honest to my ears there isn't much in it and for background music it would certainly be hard to tell them apart.

I'll keep an eye on developments with interest. In the meantime I might look at getting an airport express (I presume I would only need one to connect to a single speaker and then let the speakers talk to each other) unless airplay 2 sorts the problem. 

And on that theme - any idea when airplay 2 will be rolled out?

Thanks again.

Stephen

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@shickey wrote:

Thanks for showing interest and taking the time to respond to my post.

I now better understand the issues. I usually set my phone to night mode to prevent the irritating notification noises but of course that means I might miss a call!

You are are welcome. I have been interested in the subject of digital music for some time now. I made the decision to transition to all digital music after loosing FM over cable service a few years ago. Indeed I had been using Airport Express before that, enjoying the convenience of iTunes over wifi to my receiver. Still, relying on analogue and optical sources as well.

As part of my digital music exploration I tried a number of digital music speakers such as B and W and Bose. None of these products handle AirPlay very well. In fact I turned to a pair of Audio Engine power speakers with an AE carrying out the streaming duties for a while. When ST30 v3 came along I tried again with Bose and Airport Express - this has worked very well.

The best solution for me has been Airport Express plugged into the Aux port of the ST30 speakers. I also have Apple TVs plugged into a Solo 10, 15 and Cinemate 30 working around the house in the in the same fashion.

As an aside, my Mac and iOS devices can all rebroadcast to all my music devices over AirPlay. Guess  I have achieved an all digital Apple Music / Bose utopia. This was accomplished using Bose gear augmented with Apple gear and some Audioquest cabling for good measure. Albeit, built in and working Airplay would have eased the costs. 

I've listened to the same track on apple music / bluetooth and amazon music / wifi and I'm convinced the quality via wifi is better - but to be honest to my ears there isn't much in it and for background music it would certainly be hard to tell them apart.

For a lot of people BlueTooth is sufficient but for me I prefer to get the most out of digital convenience and right now that is achieved with setups like Airport Express and SoundTouch. The next level would be extra premium services like Tidal and local digital storage being played on premium systems like Devialet and which support AirPlay. 

I'll keep an eye on developments with interest. In the meantime I might look at getting an airport express (I presume I would only need one to connect to a single speaker and then let the speakers talk to each other) unless airplay 2 sorts the problem. 

When I made my purchases well over a year ago,  AUX rebroadcast was not available for SoundTouch. So I latched an AE on to each of my ST30 Speakers.  AUX Rebroadcast is now available and seems to be working well,  so yes one Airport Express should do the job. 

And on that theme - any idea when airplay 2 will be rolled out?

No idea. The release was supposed to be in December, so who knows what Apple is planning and what timeline Bose will follow.  Eventually AirPlay 2 will be rolled out. Remains to be seen if I end up with a couple redundant Airport Express routers. However I think my AE investment will still have some shelf life for sometime to come.  

James_S
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

BTW: As it stands Bose is the only premium wireless speaker system that doesn’t either offer AirPlay or Apple Music as a built in service and Bose has taken a lot of flack deservedly.

Aside from Sonos in the US and Devialet in France, what other companies have integrated Apple Music?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@James_S wrote:

Aside from Sonos in the US and Devialet in France, what other companies have integrated Apple Music?

Naim Audio and Blue Sound as well as some popular reciever makers such as Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer. 

James_S
Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

@rickatk wrote:

Naim Audio and Blue Sound as well as some popular reciever makers such as Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer. 

Thank you for providing some brand names to look into. I couldnt find anything from those brands that have Apple Music integrated into them though. They seem to mention streaming iTunes and Apple Music through AirPlay or Bluetooth.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@James_S wrote:

@rickatk wrote:

Thank you for providing some brand names to look into. I couldnt find anything from those brands that have Apple Music integrated into them though. They seem to mention streaming iTunes and Apple Music through AirPlay or Bluetooth.

Hi James: 

I believe that is correct. I think Sonos is the only speaker manufacturer that has Apple Music built in. All the rest use AirPlay 

As and aside, from what I have seen of the Bose services, the built in versions aren’t necessarily the full service. Tune In radio and I beleive Spotify, have been modified to run in Sound Touch, there are feature limitations. I don’t know on what sort of treatment Apple Music got to run on Sonos. But this is often typical of these arrangements, a paired down version of a music service to run on these speakers . Again all to to do with licensing marketing etc.

While I think Airplay2 will be a good step forward, I am not hopeful Apple Music, in its full glory, will ever show up on SoundTouch. 

That at is why I am such a fan of Apple Music over AIrplay and Apple hardware. Full access, good quality sound, no limitations.