Re: Apple Music on Soundtouch

Hi all

I just wanted to jump in here and say that we are committed to bring Airplay 2 to our existing SoundTouch products and new products that are forthcoming.  We will share further details regarding timing and availability when possible.

Thanks for being part of the community!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Tony - Community Support

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

Rick: My Mac sees my AirPort Express, but my Bose Wave SoundTouch doesn’t see it (plugged into the AUX port.) Or more correctly, it wants to be paired. I can see no way to accomplish the pairing. What’s the trick?

Dave

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dlclaytor wrote:

Rick: My Mac sees my AirPort Express, but my Bose Wave SoundTouch doesn’t see it (plugged into the AUX port.) Or more correctly, it wants to be paired. I can see no way to accomplish the pairing. What’s the trick?

Dave:

I hope I understand your question...

“Pairing” requests are a function of the SoundTouch speaker’s built in BlueTooth features not the Airport Express.

I noticed you said your Mac sees the AIrport Express, so it is on the network. Make sure the SoundTouch speaker is also on the same network.

In the SoundTouch app you should see three icons. WiFi(SoundTouch) AUX and BlueTooth. Select AUX to connect with the AE Express. There is no Airport Express icon per se.

On your Mac you will see the AE icon in a menu pull down list in iTunes/Apple music. Select the Airport Express you have connected to your SoundTouch speaker. You will, actually see all your AirPlay connected devices as options. So if you have Apple TVs they will, show up, too and you can select all or none. 

Alternatively, on the remote, if the Speaker hasn’t been paired (BlueTooth) and you select AUX it will ask to be paired but you can just toggle to AUX. Once selected you should be hearing music via AirPlay from your Mac.

Hope that helps.

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

Thanks for your speedy reply!

You are correct on all points. When I wrote "see," I simply meant that the AE appears in the drop down menu and is available.

Curiously, AUX is not an option available to me in the SoundTouch app. The only icons I see are for Bluetooth and WiFi (SoundTouch.) Perhaps I have a flaky patchcord. Or perhaps I'm not doing something in the proper sequence...macs can be funny that way sometimes, as you probably know. Beyond that, my system software and apps are up-to-date, connections are tight, everything is on the same network, and my gear is current. BlueTooth paired nicely and I'm streaming Internet Radio over WiFi. If it's not the patchcord, I'm stumped.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dlclaytor wrote:

Thanks for your speedy reply!

You are correct on all points. When I wrote "see," I simply meant that the AE appears in the drop down menu and is available.

Curiously, AUX is not an option available to me in the SoundTouch app. The only icons I see are for Bluetooth and WiFi (SoundTouch.) Perhaps I have a flaky patchcord. 

Hello dlctaylor:

I looked at my setup(s)

I have two ST30s with AE routers hooked up via the ST 3.5mm port and powered on. There is an AUX icon present in the SoundTouch app for both these speakers.  I also have a Cinemate 130 with Sound Touch adaptor connected via the accessory port in the console and an Apple TV hooked up over HDMI. There is no AE router present. There is nothing plugged into the AUX port. The Sound Touch app can see the speaker because of the SoundTouch adapator.  I notice there is no AUX icon displayed in the ST app for the third speaker setup. 

Seems the issue is narrowed down to the fact the AUX icon is dynamic and will only present itself when something is properly connected to the AUX 3.5 mm port. 

I agree, you may have a bum cord or the cord leads don’t like the 3.5mm port which doubles as an optical port, in the router. I am not suggesting utilizing the optical feature of the port. A good quality 3.5mm - 3.5mm cord that seats properly into the AE router and the Wave speaker should do the job.

Another thing you can check is the Airport Express setup.  Are you sure it is setup as a speaker? The are some settings in Airport Utility and your Sound Card settings along those lines. Likely all is well if your Mac and iTunes is seeing the Airport Express.

Finally, hopefully you don’t have a bum 3.5mm port on your ST Wave speaker.

Hello @dlclaytor,

The Wave SoundTouch IV will not have the AUX selection within the SoundTouch application due to the AUX port being part of the main unit and not the SoundTouch adapter. You will need to use the physical Wave SoundTouch remote to select this source.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards,

Joel

Highlighted
dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

Bingo! I needed to backtrack first and do a factory reset on the AE to clear a misspelled password setting. Another question, though: Would you advise me to "add" the AE to my Wi-Fi network, or configue it to "extend" the network? I have the option, but frankly, I don't understand the difference. This is not an Ethernet connection.

Kindest regards,

Dave

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

Wow, really a sweet set-up--I'm impressed! I bought the Wave ST basically to pare down and simplify. I had an Integra receiver, an Integra 6-CD carousel changer, a Pioneer turntable, and a pair of walnut Focal.JMlab Chorus 707S speakers. I don't miss the metal dinosaurs, but the speakers are handsome and sound great. I'd like to find a way to utilize them in a Wi-Fi set-up somehow. They are not powered. In my home office, I have 2.1 Klipsch system running off iTunes on an iMac. My wife replaced an old Wave with a new Wave ST in her home office. Streaming Internet Radio to the Bose has made listening a pleasure again.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

dlclaytor:

Glad to hear you got the the AE router up onto your network.

Extending the network with an Airport Express results in exactly that, the Wi-Fi signal is extended further around your spaces.

My experience and others have reported, that Airplay does not work well in extended mode. Often the music drops while playing, when in the extended mode. This is probably because the router is doing double duty as a wifi range extender and Airprlay speaker.

As well, overall network performance can be cut in half when adding an additional router in an attempt to extend your network. Indeed that has been my experience as well.

I advise that you simply “add” the AE router to your network then connect to the Wave Speaker with your 3.5mm cable.

As an aside, I use a good quality Audioquest Golden Gate 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable. Sounds great!

Good luck completing your setup.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dlclaytor wrote:

>Wow, really a sweet set-up--I'm impressed! I bought the Wave ST basically to pare down and simplify. I had an Integra receiver, an Integra 6-CD carousel changer, a Pioneer turntable, and a pair of walnut Focal.JMlab Chorus 707S speakers.

I too wanted to pair down my Yamaha/Boston Acoustics home theatre gear. I sold the components while I could still get some good money in the second hand market. I am very happy with my replacement Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch purchase .  

I have posted elsewhere in this forum my experiences and thoughts about dropping all of my older analogue gear and building a SoundTouch network of digital speakers, including a couple ST30’s. All in all I am very happy with my Bose purchases and access all my content over streaming these days. I haven’t accessed an optical source such as a CD or DVD for movies or music in some time.

>I don't miss the metal dinosaurs, but the speakers are handsome and sound great. I'd like to find a way to utilize them in a Wi-Fi set-up somehow. They are not powered.

Integrating your speakers into a SoundTouch network will require at the very least an integrated amplifier or stereo receiver coupled with a SoundTouch adaptor. 

>In my home office, I have 2.1 Klipsch system running off iTunes on an iMac. My wife replaced an old Wave with a new Wave ST in her home office. Streaming Internet Radio to the Bose has made listening a pleasure again.

I had a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 multimedia speaker setup over 15 years ago. They were good sounding speakers, especially when I added the upgraded wiring kit. It was that setup that turned me to the notion of using better quality cabling for my audio gear. I eventually purchased a pair of Bose Companion 20 speakers which have been connected to a number of iMacs, using Audioquest Golden Gate 3.5mm cable. These speakers are nice looking and great sounding with very good stereo separation.