rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Apple Music on Soundtouch

@dlclaytor wrote:

... and a pair of walnut Focal.JMlab Chorus 707S speakers. I don't miss the metal dinosaurs, but the speakers are handsome and sound great. I'd like to find a way to utilize them in a Wi-Fi set-up somehow.

One other suggestion...have a look at the Bose SA-5 amp. This compact amplifier has SoundTouch and an AUX port built in. If you pair it with an Airport Express, the amp should behave as I previously described, with Apple Music access via the AUX port right from the SoundTouch App.  

I have heard this amp setup up at a Bose store, driving a pair of Bose 301 stereo speakers. Very clean, simple, setup and turns non powered speakers into SoundTouch speakers.This amp should power your Focal speakers nicely. 

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

rickatk:

Thanks for recommending the Bose SA-5 amp for powering my Chorus speakers. It sounds like a perfect solution.

I have mentioned elsewhere here that I hated to hear that Apple is discontinuing AirPort, although it's still available in the aftermarket. AirPort and a 3.1mm cable to the Bose AUX port is THE no-brainer solution for connecting Bose ST devices to the the mac eco-system and the home Wi-Fi network. And, to best of my knowledge, using the iTunes Equalizer and Apple's Audio MIDI Setup utility, the only way to customize the contours of the digital stream to the Wave. Frankly, the difference in audio transparency and depth is startling...to my ear, anyway. (Now if we could just persuade Bose to add JazzRadio.com and ClassicalRadio.com to ST Services. Several of the other services just replicate one another, IMO. Inclusivity broadens the appeal the product.)

Those AudioQuest Golden Gate cables must deliver and install themselves! Kidding...they're pricey. I've been using Anker cables, but if you say you can hear a difference, I may check them out.

Dave

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dlclaytor wrote:

>Thanks for recommending the Bose SA-5 amp for powering my Chorus speakers. It sounds like a perfect solution.

I am still thinking about setting up a classic stereo solution using this amp(Airport Express attached) and a pair of Bose 301 speakers, topped off with a very nice leather recliner, maybe an Eames lounger replica. Sort of a minimalist classic audiophile package with a bit of a digital twist.

>I have mentioned elsewhere here that I hated to hear that Apple is discontinuing AirPort, although it's still available in the aftermarket. AirPort and a 3.1mm cable to the Bose AUX port is THE no-brainer solution for connecting Bose ST devices to the the mac eco-system and the home Wi-Fi network.

Ironically Apple, in addition to killing off these great little routers, decided to kill off the 3.5mm jack. Seems like an overt attempt to totally lock down the Apple products and ecosystem. Bose fortunately has taken a little more open approach and still uses the 3.5mm port. The Bose networking standards are little more open and accessible. The Sound Touch adaptor is a good example.

I am hoping that Apple networking will evolve further in the Homekit / Apple TV channels.

>And, to best of my knowledge, using the iTunes Equalizer and Apple's Audio MIDI Setup utility, the only way to customize the contours of the digital stream to the Wave. Frankly, the difference in audio transparency and depth is startling...to my ear, anyway.

I genrally don’t tweak those settings but I am glad to hear there are possibilities at improving the sound.

>(Now if we could just persuade Bose to add JazzRadio.com and ClassicalRadio.com to ST Services. Several of the other services just replicate one another, IMO. Inclusivity broadens the appeal the product.)

I posted a recommendation to include jazzradio.com in the SoundTouch services a few years ago. I used to subscribe to jazzradio.com before Apple Music. Stingray is another good service that I listen to via my cable service and Solo speakers.

>Those AudioQuest Golden Gate cables must deliver and install themselves! Kidding...they're pricey. I've been using Anker cables, but if you say you can hear a difference, I may check them out.

You would think so and adding to the sting...the Golden Gates are only mid grade in the product line. I quite like the build quality and believe they do sound better, more spacious and clear.

Interestingly, I tried installing the Audioquest Cinamon fibre optic cables to my Solo speakers but wasn’t happy with the seating. They didn’t lock in very well and were quite loose. Further, I didn’t really hear an improvement in that application.

Highlighted
dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

wrote:

>Thanks for recommending the Bose SA-5 amp for powering my Chorus speakers. It sounds like a perfect solution.

I am still thinking about setting up a classic stereo solution using this amp(Airport Express attached) and a pair of Bose 301 speakers, topped off with a very nice leather recliner, maybe an Eames lounger replica. Sort of a minimalist classic audiophile package with a bit of a digital twist.

As my brother-in-law always says, "If you want it, get it!"

>I have mentioned elsewhere here that I hated to hear that Apple is discontinuing AirPort, although it's still available in the aftermarket. AirPort and a 3.1mm cable to the Bose AUX port is THE no-brainer solution for connecting Bose ST devices to the the mac eco-system and the home Wi-Fi network.

Ironically Apple, in addition to killing off these great little routers, decided to kill off the 3.5mm jack. 

I didn't know that. Shortsighted I think.

>And, to best of my knowledge, using the iTunes Equalizer and Apple's Audio MIDI Setup utility, the only way to customize the contours of the digital stream to the Wave. Frankly, the difference in audio transparency and depth is startling...to my ear, anyway.

I genrally don’t tweak those settings but I am glad to hear there are possibilities at improving the sound.

If you're interested and use the iTunes Equalizer at all, I could send you the settings I prefer and you could set up a trial profile. Keep it, modify it, or simply delete it and go back to your default profile. The Audio MIDI Setup utility is a different horse altogether since your settings would depend upon your incoming digital stream and your equipment.

>(Now if we could just persuade Bose to add JazzRadio.com and ClassicalRadio.com to ST Services. Several of the other services just replicate one another, IMO. Inclusivity broadens the appeal the product.)

I posted a recommendation to include jazzradio.com in the SoundTouch services a few years ago. I used to subscribe to jazzradio.com before Apple Music. Stingray is another good service that I listen to via my cable service and Solo speakers.

LightSpeed is supposed to be laying fiber optic cable for gigabit Internet in our neighborhood sometime this summer; everyone is excited about the "faster/cheaper" competiton to Comcast. I'm hoping it will be beneficial for Internet radio as well.

By the way, I came across the following article about Wi-Fi receivers which I found interesting and informative:  http://www.portablehifi.com/best-wifi-music-receivers-review/

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@dlclaytor wrote:

wrote:

>If you're interested and use the iTunes Equalizer at all, I could send you the settings I prefer and you could set up a trial profile. Keep it, modify it, or simply delete it and go back to your default profile. The Audio MIDI Setup utility is a different horse altogether since your settings would depend upon your incoming digital stream and your equipment.

Sure I would like to have a look.

>LightSpeed is supposed to be laying fiber optic cable for gigabit Internet in our neighborhood sometime this summer; everyone is excited about the "faster/cheaper" competiton to Comcast. I'm hoping it will be beneficial for Internet radio as well.

I exptect my local telco will eventually lay or hang fibre optic. Right now they stopped at the tracks. But a new road has presented, offering a different route to my place. So fibre optic may be in my future. In the meantime, my cable co is providing pretty good hybrid IPTV/ Coax service with technology licensed from Comcast (X1).

By the way, I came across the following article about Wi-Fi receivers which I found interesting and informative:  http://www.portablehifi.com/best-wifi-music-receivers-review/

These wifi receivers are still around and certainly would power your speakers nicely. My recommendation of the SA-5 came from a place of minimalism and simultaneous SoundTouch /AirPlay integration . I don’t think you would get built in SoundTouch with one of these products. You would require a ST adaptor and an Airport Express for, AirPlay if I understand your objectives correctly.

jjrossi@comast.net
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 21, 2018

When is Bose going to fully support Apple music?  I idea that using bluetooth is not a ideal in terms of soundquality and if you are trying to play music on stereo speakers.  The fideility is awlful.  Anyone find a better method? 

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

wrote:

>When is Bose going to fully support Apple music?

Good luck on that one!

>I idea that using bluetooth is not a ideal in terms of soundquality and if you are trying to play music on stereo speakers.  The fideility is awlful.  Anyone find a better method? 

If you have a Wi-Fi network set up at home/office, grab an AirPort Express while you can still find one and attach it to your Bose via the AUX in port with a male-to-male 3.1mm cable. Then stream your Apple music from iTunes on your mac via Wi-Fi to the Bose. You might need to tweak your iTunes Equalizer and opimize your Audio MIDI Setup to suit your preferences. Piece o cake!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

jjrossi@comast.net wrote:

When is Bose going to fully support Apple music?  I idea that using bluetooth is not a ideal in terms of soundquality and if you are trying to play music on stereo speakers.  The fideility is awlful.  Anyone find a better method? 

Add an Airport Express. This approach has worked for me quite well.

dlclaytor has added additional information about fine tuning the sound which demonstrates how far AIrport Express can take you. I have also found that the the AE plugged into a SoundTouch speaker AUX input, you can now relay the music to other SoundTouch speakers.

dlclaytor
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 14, 2018

@rickatk wrote:

@dlclaytor wrote:

wrote:

>If you're interested and use the iTunes Equalizer at all, I could send you the settings I prefer and you could set up a trial profile. Keep it, modify it, or simply delete it and go back to your default profile. The Audio MIDI Setup utility is a different horse altogether since your settings would depend upon your incoming digital stream and your equipment.

Sure I would like to have a look.

I could send you a screenshot of my settings, but I can't see a way to do that here. It's not really a photo.

>LightSpeed is supposed to be laying fiber optic cable for gigabit Internet in our neighborhood sometime this summer; everyone is excited about the "faster/cheaper" competiton to Comcast. I'm hoping it will be beneficial for Internet radio as well.

I exptect my local telco will eventually lay or hang fibre optic. Right now they stopped at the tracks. But a new road has presented, offering a different route to my place. So fibre optic may be in my future. In the meantime, my cable co is providing pretty good hybrid IPTV/ Coax service with technology licensed from Comcast (X1).

These wifi receivers are still around and certainly would power your speakers nicely. My recommendation of the SA-5 came from a place of minimalism and simultaneous SoundTouch /AirPlay integration . I don’t think you would get built in SoundTouch with one of these products. You would require a ST adaptor and an Airport Express for, AirPlay if I understand your objectives correctly.

No, I understand. I was merely marvelling at some of the other Wi-Fi receivers that are available.

Antti Multiroom
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 6, 2017

I have same system, with airport express, multiroom works perfectly, and those know supports even airplay 2! With five Soundtouch speaker and 5 airport express I get Apple Music to every room.