Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2014

AppleTV 4th gen + Bose Remote (LS 535)

Hi, 
I wonder if the new AppleTV (4th gen) will also work with the Bose Remote?
30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: AppleTV 4th gen + Bose Remote (LS 535)

Hi ovq
While our testing hasn't specifically included the 4th gen Apple TV, we have no reason to think that it would not work with the same IR codes as the previous models. We have also not heard from customers having trouble controlling an Apple TV from any generation.
Remember that when setting these two products up together, you may need to first unpair the Apple TV's native remote before it will accept IR control from our Lifestlye remote. This can be done within the Apple TV settings menu.
We encourage other community users to share their experiences using a Lifestyle in combination with an Apple TV too.
Thank you.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback.
By unpairing the native Apple remote, you mean the new touch remote?
Isn't that working via Bluetooth?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

That is the remote we are referring to, yes.

Past versions of the Apple TV have been built such that they ignore 3rd-party remote signals by IR while the Apple RF remote is still paired. It is possible that this could have changed with the new revision, but you would need to consult the owner's guide for the product (or with Apple directly) regarding that point.

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 4, 2015

Works fine here for the basic functions (play / pause / arrows / menu etc.).  You would not get gaming or touch direction / siri functionaliy of course but if you use it for the basic functions above it works just like the old AppleTV
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 5, 2015

Like Ovq, I have a Bose Lifestyle 535 II system with the new Apple TV 4.  I can report that this new device handles remotes differently than previous models and I would request that bose conduct some testing here.  I'm a little suprised that a company as large as Bose charging a premium for their hardware isn't on top of this stuff, instead relying on their customers to do the leg work for them.  Using the Bose remote the Apple TV will respond to SOME of the commands but not all (PLAY, PAUSE, STOP).  The new apple TV has the ability to learn commands from 3rd party IR remotes but I have not been successful with teaching it the bose remote.   
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 6, 2015

I own a Lifestyle V35 and can confirm that not all of the remote commands on my Bose remote work with Apple TV 4, notably Play, Pause and Stop.  When will there be a solution?  Will it be via a firmware upgrade?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

There seems to be some disagreement among reports of how this is working. We will reply to multiple users individually below.

Smurf:
What you describe is what we would expect from any Bose product, but your post doesn't mention exactly what you are using. Can you let us know what Bose product you are having success with?  (and what remote code are you using if applicable)
JasonG: The basic commands should work as expected. It is ambiguous from what you wrote: Are the Play, pause, stop commands you mentioned  the only commands that work? Or are these the commands which do not work?

Teaching Bose remote commands to the Apple TV would require putting your system in to "teach mode". Instructions for that are found here: (https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&id=kA1330000004O1DCA...

Note: this process will use the IR emitters on the front of the Bose console to send the signals. The included external IR emitters can also be used for this. However, the IR emitter on the front of the Bose remote will not send the codes you need for this process.

Corey75: 

The latest console software version for the Lifestyle v35 is 021001. If you haven't already updated to begin with the instructions labeled "Before Downloading" on this page: (http://worldwide.bose.com/downloads/en/web/home_entertainment_system_overview/page.html

At this time we don't have any information about when another update for that system would be available or whether it will contain new codes for the Apple TV 4. The information regarding "teach mode" we gave to JasonG above also applies to your system. It may be worthwhile to empoly the Universal remote features on your Apple TV.

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 6, 2015

George, I'm running the latest firmware.  Teach mode has no affect on the Apple TV 4 remote.  Pretty frustrating.
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2014

Meanwhile, I have purchased an ATV4 and can confirm that The Bose remote support can hardly be called "support".

• basic menu navigation works - but no differentiation between the menu and the (new) home button
  • play works, pause sometime works (but kind of randomly here), stop doesn't work
  • fast forward doesn't work at all

All in all, I have to agree with JasonG: the AppleTV 4 will undoubtedly be a big seller, it's been out for a while now - and I am sure, that Bose would have been able to get a DevKit from Apple (= early access) Bose should have had ample time to update their remote with ATV4 support. I agree that this is a premium product / brand with a premium price tag, and quick and solid support would be exactly the kind of business attitude I would expect from Bose.
Undoubtedly, it does feel cheap, if Bose staff is asking the forum about what is working and what not... You really should know this yourself, even before we find out!