Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

Architecture of Home Theatre

Hi experts!

I want to create my own home theatre with soundtouch 30 as a speaker. Do You thing that everythinf will wirk fine? Below I added how it will look like and I'm also wondering if I put another speaker it still work fine for me and what if I want to play something from smartphone instead of laptop (netflix or youtube).

How can I see that? I would like to play movies from laptop on projector with chromecast and audio (from movie) by wifi on soundtouch. Is it possible to work for me?

Thank You for any recomandation! 

Cheers!theatre.png

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Architecture of Home Theatre

@kubitzu wrote:

>I want to create my own home theatre with soundtouch 30 as a speaker. Do You thing that everythinf will wirk fine? Below I added how it will look like and I'm also wondering if I put another speaker it still work fine for me and what if I want to play something from smartphone instead of laptop (netflix or youtube).

How can I see that? I would like to play movies from laptop on projector with chromecast and audio (from movie) by wifi on soundtouch. Is it possible to work for me?

SoundTouch 30 is not intended for home theater applications. SoundTouch 30 and the actual SoundTouch protocol is designed for music. 

More likely than not you will need a wired connection from your projector to your movie playing  source. HDMI works best.  Going wirelessly between the projector and your home theatre gear comes with a host of issues, least of all is syncing the video with the sound as suggested already.

I recently moved to a new house. In the bonus room there was a ceiling projector mount and Big Thick HDMI cable running into the ceiling, over to and down the wall, presumably to where the HT audio gear would sit. I had the electrician put the cable behind outlet plates, preferring a TV on a Solo speaker. Much cleaner and a lot less overhead. My point is unless you are prepared to physically connect your projector to a receiver or self contained speaker like a sound bar (capable of accepting HDMI) using HDMI cables, running the cables through the walls, you likely won’t be happy with your setup. Doing surface cabling could get messy.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2019

Thank you so much for responses. I also moved to a new house (or rather I will) and my goals are: no cable and no TV - this is the reason why I'm thinking about porjectors and wifi soundsystem. 

Home theater is not the reason why I'm going to buy SoundTouch 30 but I am trying to think complex about all the things. So @rickatk - "SoundTouch 30 is not intended for home theater applications. SoundTouch 30 and the actual SoundTouch protocol is designed for music" - it's meaining that it is no way to watch movie, laptop + SoundTouch and better idea is to buy sound bar f.e.?

Cheers! 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@kubitzu wrote:

Thank you so much for responses. I also moved to a new house (or rather I will) and my goals are: no cable and no TV - this is the reason why I'm thinking about porjectors and wifi soundsystem. 

Home theater is not the reason why I'm going to buy SoundTouch 30 but I am trying to think complex about all the things. So @rickatk - "SoundTouch 30 is not intended for home theater applications. SoundTouch 30 and the actual SoundTouch protocol is designed for music" - it's meaining that it is no way to watch movie, laptop + SoundTouch and better idea is to buy sound bar f.e.?

Cheers! 

Here is an article on how to set up a projector system, there many. What I noticed is the emphasis on an HDMI cable as being best for moving audio signal from the projector to the speakers via some sort of receiver. A sound bar will work as well but be aware not many Sound Bars support HDMI cabling, preferring the optical standard. Bose SoundBars do support HDMI cables. 

You might want to consider an inexpensive 5.1 AV receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 system, especially if you are thinking of running wires and cables.

Good luck with your project

https://www.moneycrashers.com/hd-projector-vs-tv-set-up-home-theater-system/