Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Audio Delay When Connecting Both SoundTouch 10 and SoundTouch 300 Sounbar to TV

I've purchased a SoundTouch 10 speaker and a SoundTouch 300 soundbar and I'm having audio (and/or audio-video) synchronization issues when connecting them to my Samsung Tizen Smart TV. I've tried connecting them in various ways using optical cable, HDMI and Bluetooth. Using each of the configurations bellow, if "Video Sync" option (under "Group Settings" in the SoundTouch App) is on, the audio played through one of the speakers is delayed by about 2-3 seconds! If "Video Sync" option is off, the audio appears to be synced between the two speakers but they are completely out of sync with respect to the video.

Configurations tried so far:

1) Connect TV to SoundTouch 300 via optical or HDMI and then use the "Play All" feature from the SoundTouch App.

2) Connect TV to SoundTouch 300 via optical or HDMI and connect TV to SoundTouch 10 using Bluetooth.

3) Connect TV to SoundTouch 300 via Bluetooth and then use the "Play All" feature from the SoundTouch App.

4) Connect TV to SoundTouch 10 via Blutooth and use the "Play All" feature from the app.

With each of the configurations above I can get TV's audio to play through both speakers, but with unacceptable sync issues mentioned above. Is this a bug in the hardware or software? Should I return the speakers and try a new set? Is there another configuration that I haven't thought of that would work? What exactly is the purpose of the "Video Sync" option in the "Group Settings"?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

Re: Audio Delay When Connecting Both SoundTouch 10 and SoundTouch 300 Sounbar to TV

There is nothing wrong with your setup - this is working by design.

Wifi speakers cannot sync audio that quickly, due to the way that the sound signal is broadcast over the network. The conversion process causes a dealy - this is not just Bose but how the signals have to be transcoded into digital packets and decoded back into audio when they reach the speaker. 

The function to Sync Video Audio on the app does explain that turning that on causes the audio in the main room (say on the SoundBar) to become out of sync with the other speakers. This would mean in the ST300 was under the TV and the ST 10 was in the kitchen, they would be unsynced, but the audio by the TV would be ok. The SoundTouch speakers are desinged for multi-room use rather than in the same room - meaning the video sync option would be acceptiable as you cannot see the TV from the kitchen. 

Wifi speakers are brilliant to sync audio throughout the house as when the audio is broadcast the speakers all can ensure that the audio stream is only played when the other speakers can decode the audio - so it sounds all in sync. This is impossible to do and sync with video as the video is not bring broadcast, just the audio channel. 

Hopefully that makes sense?? It is something that is present in any setup, including in concerts when sometimes the video is out of sync with the audio system - its just how the signals work, are encoded and decoded. If you wanted multiple speakers to all be in sync with a video feed, the only way is using the AUX cable and a splitter to all speakers. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: Audio Delay When Connecting Both SoundTouch 10 and SoundTouch 300 Sounbar to TV

Thanks for the reply, but how does this explain the delay in setup #2? The TV is directly connected to each speaker separately, without the signal needing to go over the network. If I only connect ST 10 to the TV via Bluetooth, the audio-video is in sync. It only goes out of sync when I turn on ST 300 (connected via optical cable) and connect ST 10 (via bluetooth) at the same time!

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

If you are broadcasting the source from the 300 to another speaker they will sync themselves so it will go out of sync on the 300. Speakers are designed to sync across each other which is why it goes silent for a second when adding a speaker.

Syncing audio between speakers doesn’t use Bluetooth it uses Wi-fi. Bluetooth is for incoming audio. For example from your phone not to sync speakers and play audio across speakers
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

I'm not trying to sync the two speakers in setup 2. Notice, I'm not using the "Play All" feature. Each speaker is connected to the TV separately (one via optical and one via bluetooth). I'm not sure if any of those two speakers tries to be smart and sync with the other one over wifi, but clearly that's not what I want.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 31, 2017

So you have two audio connections from your TV?? 

I believe (not a expert here) but that would be something on the TV causing the delay. The outputs on the TV I wouldnt of thought would be designed to sync up kit. The TV would have to transcode signals through two different means, one being optical, which probably has no processing to do, and the bluetooth - which probably has to be converted over the bluetooth radio. 

Unless the TV has a delay option for the inputs i dont think there would be a way to sync them togeather and I dont think its the bose speakers - The speakers are just processing the signals as they come in. Bose only causes a delay when streaming from more than one speaker using SoundTouch Wifi (as mentioned before). 

Best bet would check with the TV manufacturer that this is a supported method of having audio from more than one source simultaniously. 

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 30, 2017

You could easily test if this is a Bose issue with heaphones and a speaker or some similar setup.  

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 17, 2018

Having the exact same issues!
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 17, 2018

I managed to sync ST300 and 2 ST10’s by connecting the soundbar via optical to my Samsung TV I then used and AUX spliter for the ST10’s and plugged that into my AUX port on the TV. I then went into the Samsung TV menu and changed the optical delay to sync up with the ST10 AUX signal. I used a sound detector and an oscilloscope to set the delay. Perfect overlap and sync’d sound!
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

How do the st300 virtually invisible speakers work as they are in perfect time with tv picture and audio?