Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

BBC Radio blocked by Bose

Hi,

Since You dropped internet radio and switched to TuneIn BBC radio stations have stopped working only on Bose products.

BBC continues to work with TuneIn on other devices and is available throught all other channels except Bose in the Republic Of Ireland.

Will you rectify this situation or will I return my Bose products for a refund as they no longer do the job they were bought for?

Please reply ASAP and note that connecting another device to Bose tthrough bluetooth is not an option for me.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Re: BBC Radio blocked by Bose

Can I get an answer to this please.

Let me put it as a question to which there is a yes or no answer.

Are TuneIn  Geoblocking BBC radio on Bose devices in the Republic of Ireland?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Hi,

What do I have to do to get an answer to this question?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Tonyr,

Thank you for the post, and my apologies for the delay in response.

When you try to play any BBC stations, do you get any sort of error message?

I've tested BBC Radio 1 and BBC Sussex on a SoundTouch system here in the United States and they both work without issue, so it's safe to say that Tunein is not geolocking stations.

If possible, try unplugging the power to your wireless router and Bose system for a full minute, then reconnect and test BBC again.

Let me know so we can get this working for you.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Hi Brandon,

Yes I have followed the 'ITCrowd' method, the only thing anyone  from Bose seems to ever advise on here ! I restarted router, Bose devices, and also tried various other network things like changing dns servers etc.

I  also conducted experiments : I moved one device to a site that uses a UK based proxy and the Bose Soundtouch played all BBC stations on TuneIn there. I have also tried on another ROI based internet connection from a different provider to my home network and the same issue occured.

All BBC stations work withTuneIn on my home network on a Sonos device, on android, in a browser and on Roberts radio using Silicon Frontier.

All worked fine on Bose soundtouch with Internet Radio until this TuneIn downgrade was implemented.

Some BBC stations did work for some days after the Internet Radio service was refused but sometime after 25th Nov they stopped working. BBC World Service is the only BBC service that works which is a strong indication that GeoBlocking implemented just for Bose could be the issue.

All other stations  are identified, will show the station ident, logo (even if not cached e.g BBC Sussex which i never tried before just now) and the Tunein Logo are visible for 20 - 30 seconds on both device and app before error message appears.

In app I see:

HMM... We Can't play that right now. Please try again later

(3103)

There is some other useless text message displayed on the device  telling me to select a preset ( I did) or explore the soundtouch app (GTFO)

This is a totally unaceptable situation, I bought these hugely overpriced devices to do a specific job which they did until Bose mad a cost cutting decision to degrade the service and remove the Internet Radio feature that worked perfectly.

Can you confirm today that either the service I paid for will be restored immedieatly or should I bring these devices back to the retailer as is within my rights under EU consumer law for a full refund so that I can get a system that works?

later

In Soundtouch app it sh

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Tonyr,

Thanks for the reply.

The fact that there is nobody else reporting this issue leads me to believe that it is an isolated issue that we can resolve with troubleshooting.  Tunein is not geolocking the stations, and users around the world should be able to access any local BBC radio stations without issue.

Just to be sure, I tested BBC Sussex, BBC Wiltshire, and BBC Newcastle on my system at home last evening, and they all worked.

I would recommend next factory resetting the system and reconnecting it to your Wi-Fi.  If this doesn't help, we would want to have you collect log files so we can escalate this to the engineering team.

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Hi Brandon,

Excuse me if I sound a bit intemperate but I'm so fustrated and annoyed by the sheer awfulness of your software and the lengths I am having to go to to solve what are clearly your problems.

This morning it took hours to reinstall everything as per your 'IT Crowd' approach to this, and seemingly every problem.

Though when softare is this dire the IT Crowd appproach may be the only hope; if we keep plugging it all out and plugging it back in again the customer might just get fed up and go away or a miracle will occur and the buggy crap you ship will organise itself to work for a while.

Anyway, it turns out the version of App I have on two different devices is no longer able to connect to Bose devices during set up. After hours of trying on a tablet and a phone the IT Crowd solution of uninstalling the app and reinstalling finally allowed the app to see the device on the network.

Finally got reconnected after factory reset and reinstall of Apps we are, as I predicted, no better off.

In the attached logs you will see me select RTE Radio 1 which connects correctly and then selecting BBC Radio 4 which does not connect.

Please attend to this immedieatly I have wasted too much time on this nonsense and on dealing with your dreadful software. I simply want my devices to work as they did last week.

Logs here :

Link to logs

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Hi Brandon,

Logs using Google DNS

I've looked at the logs and this is a GeoLocking problem between Bose and InTune

In the logs I linked above my router was pointing at dns servers of UnBlock.us

in the logs we can see that these do not return a Country to InTune

So InTune choose to block access to BBC radiostations in this circimstance

SO I have reset the Router to use DNS

google dns

I restarted the router

and from my pc for instance I can see

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday 1 December 2018 11:34:45
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday 4 December 2018 11:34:45
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I then reset soundtouch to Factory settings and set up network again

*** This involves uninstalling and reinstalling SoundTouch App  everytime as  app cannot find device on network ***

Retest continues to show the same issue

But in the latest logs I see:

Dec  1 13:36:03 spotty local0.err STSCertified[1824]: [(002082):IHeartClient:ERROR]*********************** SendError ************************
Dec  1 13:36:03 spotty local0.err STSCertified[1824]: [(002082):IHeartClient:ERROR]IHeartClient error: GetCountry response format failed due to Json parse error: * Line 1, Column 12   Syntax error: value, object or array expected.  --< Snipped HTML  link > make sure your account is active and try again in couple minutes.<
Dec  1 13:36:03 spotty local0.info STSCertified[1824]: [(002082):IHEART:INFO]IHeartController::HandleCountryFailureCB().  Will retry GetCountry in 5 seconds.

So the first question is why Are Bose and TuneIn still trying to get a country via UnblockUS as I am no longer using their DNS servers?

Logs using Google DNS

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Just to clarify

The logs in my first post today the router is pointing at a DNS server that is (by design) not returning a country to Bose / InTune

The second set named logread_5.txt.rar are after a factory reset of Soundtouch, app, router and configured to use Google dns

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 28, 2018

Well thanks very much for all the 'really helpful' support

I have resolved this issue after establishing for a fact it is an issue that only occurs on Bose Devices connected to TuneIn because they refuse connections to BBC domestic stations when they do not recieve a country.

This is not done By BBC, it is not done by InTune on anyone else's devices  it is either a commercial decision by Bose / InTune or a bug.

The solution was to discard Bose devices and replace them with devices from companies that actually have customer support and competently writen software.