Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

[BUG] App only shows one song in some playlists that have many songs

The screenshot below shows how this particular playlist shows in iTunes (note 17 songs), and how it shows in the SoundTouch app (note only one song).  This is not the only playlist where I see this issue.  I also  synced the music library  to be sure that wasn't the issue and it didn't fix it.

Would appreciate it if something concrete could be done about this.

Capture.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Re: [BUG] App only shows one song in some playlists that have many songs

Hello Marty K.

Sorry to hear about the playlist issue, but I'd be glad to help.

I have a few clarifying questions to help narrow down the issue:

• Has this been the case with playlists created before and after installing the SoundTouch app?
  • If creating a new playlist now, do all the songs show up in the app?
  • Is any music that's missing being stored on a separate internal/external hard drive?

Let us know how things go!

Warm Regards,

Tony - Community Support 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Hi Tony,

• Has this been the case with playlists created before and after installing the SoundTouch app? -- I cannot say for sure.  I've had SoundTouch for a couple of years now, but I do not remember when I created the specific playlists where this issue is happening
  • If creating a new playlist now, do all the songs show up in the app?  - I created two playlists - one worked.  The other doesn't even show up in the app.  Despite syncing.  Actually I'm noticing most playlists don't even show up in the app, only a small percentage do.  I just haven't really used SoundTouch with iTunes very much before so this maybe the case for a long time and I'm just now noticing.
  • Is any music that's missing being stored on a separate internal/external hard drive? - yes, almost all my music is on external hard drives

Here's another screenshot to illustrate that a lot of playlists aren't showing up - you can see just looking at the playlists whose names begin with "00" that there are many more in iTunes than are listed in the app.

Capture2.PNG

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Marty K.

Thanks for getting back with the info!  

The issue seems to lie with the external hard drive.  The SoundTouch application does not officially support libraries coming from external drives as it's searching the C drive as that's where the program is installed.  A lot of users have had a lot of luck with NAS drives such as the WD My Cloud.  

Warm Regards,

Tony

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@Tony_A  Do you mean that the iTunes library files (like the iTunes database and XML files) need to be on C:?  Mine is.  Or do you mean the actual songs themselves?  I have probably like a lot of users a smallish SSD drive as my C: drive so I could not put all my songs there even if I wanted to.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Marty K.

Correct, the ITL and XML files have to live on the C drive with the music files as well.  This has to do with the SoundTouch application unable to browse multiple drives for the ITL, XML, and music files.  

Warm Regards,

Tony 

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@Tony_A  I'm at a bit of a loss here, then.  SoundTouch supports iTunes, but only so long as all your files are on your C: drive?  And if your C: drive isn't large enough, or if you just don't want to have your files on your C: drive, you're out of luck?  

Don't the XML and iTunes database files store the pathnames to all your songs, even when the songs aren't on the C: drive?  How can the SoundTouch app possibly need to "search" for any songs at all then?  Once it has the database/XML files, it knows where they are.  There's no need to search.  This makes no sense.  Especially because it seems to 'find' some of the songs that aren't on my C: drive.  If it can find some, why not all?

In any case, if its really a limitation that all songs and the iTunes XML/DB files all need to be on the C: drive, doesn't Bose see this as a huge shortcoming in your software, if not an outright bug?  As your customer, and as a software engineer myself, I can't see any legitimate reason for this limitation or any reason why I should find this acceptable. I mean, last I checked, Soundtouch is advertised as being compatible with iTunes, not just iTunes with one particular setup scenario only.   Like I said, a lot of people have SSD's as their C: (boot drive) which is often far from large enough to hold a music library in addition to Windows, etc.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Hi Marty K.

This is a setup that is just not supported by Bose, but something you can try if you have the time is to rebuild the ITL and XML files and have them live in the iTunes folder in the C drive.

Warm Regards,

Tony