Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keef82
Enthusiast
Registered since

Oct 17, 2015

Re: Baffling Bose move to abandon SoundTouch

What a crap response.

you go to a Bose store and see SoundTouch products lined up, purchase a few with great expectations and belief that the ecosystem will no doubt be enhanced and improved, not completely dropped.

Sonos tried to abandon their ecosystem and release a new one there was a HUGE community outcry and the decision was reversed.

it makes NO sense for Bose to do what they have done - the only common thing i can think is that the system was crap from the get go and we were all sucked into a crap product.

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

All products have a life cycle.  Evidently, Bose decided it was time to upgrade from the Soundtouch product line.  That's how it works.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

All products have a life cycle.  Evidently, Bose decided it was time to upgrade from the Soundtouch product line.  That's how it works.

There are many examples of “end of life” product lines. Some product lines only last a couple years. Apple is releasing macOS Big Sur. Sadly my iMac(late 2013) will not qualify for the OS upgrade.  Time for a new iMac I guess!

The best one can hope for is to find discontinued SoundTouch speakers at authorized Bose resellers like BestBuy or on eBay or Amazon.

Inconsistent with other manufacturers Bose took the step of offering an Airplay upgrade for it’s SoundTouch line. Sometimes consumers luck out sometimes they end up buying an end of life product without any forewarning from the manufacturer. 

Granted SoundTouch is being used by many customers and the new smart home line is an all new platform that is not backwards compatible. That, as they say, is progress!

MusicLover92
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 19, 2020

Granted that the ST speakers don’t qualify for the new software that runs on the SmartHome speakers, but if they could at least see each other and stream to each other, that would already make so many customers happy. 
SoundTouch and SmartHome speakers playing in sync, that would be awesome!

Technically, there is no reason, why the old and new speakers couldn’t use the same streaming protocol over network (and probably they even do). If Bose gave us customers this Feature, we could expand our music systems and would not need to save money until we can afford to replace every single speaker in our home. And if Bose did that, they would be ahead of Sonos!

Chiquita82872
Participant
Registered since

Aug 27, 2020

I went to purchase st20 to add to my collection and I can't find them anywhere. Best buy agent said Bose is dropping the st speakers and came out with new set that is not compatible with old st series. On the other hand they said for me to purchase new Bose set or to buy Sonos which they will always provide speakes that are compatible with eachorher. I love my st series speakers and I'm concerned about me purchasing a new set that won't be compatible later on with new set. Sonos is looking very nice to me right now. Bose come on you guys can do better than this!!

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Chiquita82872 wrote:

I went to purchase st20 to add to my collection and I can't find them anywhere. Best buy agent said Bose is dropping the st speakers and came out with new set that is not compatible with old st series. On the other hand they said for me to purchase new Bose set or to buy Sonos which they will always provide speakes that are compatible with eachorher. I love my st series speakers and I'm concerned about me purchasing a new set that won't be compatible later on with new set. Sonos is looking very nice to me right now. Bose come on you guys can do better than this!!

I to would have like to see Bose continue with the SoundTouch protocol in their new Smart Home lineup. I think the issue goes further than just marketing and designed obsolescence. SoundTouch is getting on and there are probably technical reasons Bose couldn’t carry on with the SoundTouch hardware. I say this with more confidence now after witnessing first hand the Airplay rollout for ST series 3 speakers. In some cases Bose had to install a hardware upgrade for Airplay to work. That was certainly the case with my ST30 made before November 2015. I imagine there were a lot of speakers sent in and upgraded by Bose. The end result... very capable ST speakers that could utilize Airplay 2 for network connectivity. 

If you really want to connect your SoundTouch speakers with your Smart Home speakers there is always BlueTooth or better Airplay. I tried it on all my Bose gear.

ST30

ST10

Home Speaker 300

ST Adaptor/Samsung TV/CineMate 130. 

All tied together with Airplay - Nice!

bloodtick
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2020

This is really disappointing. I didn't do my reading and ordered a Smart Home 300 to go into a bedroom after enjoying my SoundTouch 300 /w bass. After messing around with it and finding it (1) doesn't support Amazon Music, (2) doesn't support the whole home audio, (3) doesn't support SmartThings interface and (4) has no open API. Put it back in the box and shipped it back to Amazon. Oh well - I guess they have the idea that just having Alexa in the box isn't a selling option for people. "Baffling" is the correct term. 

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@bloodtick wrote:

This is really disappointing. I didn't do my reading and ordered a Smart Home 300 to go into a bedroom after enjoying my SoundTouch 300 /w bass. After messing around with it and finding it (1) doesn't support Amazon Music,

Agreed, Alexa and Amazon Music is not fully implemented on Bose Smart Home speakers.