Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Bass level from AM300 dropped after update 15.x

Hi,

I have soundtouch 300 with AM300 and 2 VI 300 speakers. Prior to update 15.x my music used to sound pretty good. Especially when I played music over Bluetooth using Amazon music app, I really got good bass from Am300. Post update I get good sound if I play from TV (Netflix movies etc), but when I play music via Bluetooth, the bass levels have dropped significantly. When I try to pair all speakers again, the bass module emits a sound, but sounds different compared to the way it used to sound before. Almost as if the bass signal is not as strong as before from the soundtouch 300 to AM300. Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT:

Posting the solution for others experiencing this: (Thanks to @PatR171 for some excellent pointers )

Step 1: Download the old firmware from here (14.x)

http://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/mr1_2017/stu/g/sm2/Update.stu

Step 2: Follow the "Manually updating with a USB cable (alternate method)" guide form here:

https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView?id=kA133000000TgR9

Once the screen in your browser says "firmware uploaded, waiting to reboot", you might get wi-fi and soundtouch lights blinking orange alternately. I just pulled the power cable from the soundbar, put it back in. This made it restart properly, and I got a solid white light. This shouold restore the lost BASS back to normal 🙂 I would recommend doing ADAPTiQ after this. Also I have decided not to use any soundtouch app now, because it might force you to update to 15.x 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

Re: Bass level from AM300 dropped after update 15.x

Author Accepted Answer selected by Shreyas1983

My friend,

I just downgraded to 14.80.6 App and 14.033 Firmware ST300 (I already had the perfect cable for it 🙂

thanks for your research I will make a nice Downgrade tutorial for us ST users.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Quick update. I noticed that if I switched the bass module off from the app, the soundbar started to output more bass. As soon as I switch ok bass module in the app, the soundbar bass levels drop completely. Is this normal?
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

I experienced that as well, drop in the bass level. 

Shreyas1983 wrote:

Quick update. I noticed that if I switched the ads module off from the app, the soundbar started to output more bass. As soon as I switch ok bass module in the app, the soundbar bass levels drop completely. Is this normal?

what is the ads module?

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

I think ads module = Bass module on/off setting in the app.

The standard bass level has indeed been changed/reduced (I saw some complaints about this in this forum about too much bass), You can raise it by pressing the bass button on your remote one time and press the volume up button until it's ok for you (see the indicator moving on your ST300).

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 8, 2015

Thanks! I will try the ads later.

The bass level on the highest level now.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

That sucks. I think the bass was perfect previously. Now I will have to max out the bass when playing music, but reduce the bass when playing movies. If I do a factory reset and delete my soundtouch app from iPhone, will it restore the soundtouch module to older firmware? Any way to downgrade?
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

Shreyas1983 wrote:
That sucks. I think the bass was perfect previously. Now I will have to max out the bass when playing music, but reduce the bass when playing movies. If I do a factory reset and delete my soundtouch app from iPhone, will it restore the soundtouch module to older firmware? Any way to downgrade?

I think it's possible to go back to version 14.80.6:

Try uninstalling with the Soundtouch uninstaller and install previous version 14.80.6

The link is still available: 

http://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/mr1_2017/stu/g/sm2/Update.stu

Let us know if this works...

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Thanks. Just downloaded the Update.stu. I am assuming that's the 14.80 firmware file?

I bought the soundtouch 300 + am300 + VI300 about a month ago, and it came with 14.80. I have only ever used the soundtouch app on iphone to control the soundbar. Suffice to say I have removed soundbar speaker from the app, so no more over the air updates atleast.

Now for the soundtouch uninstaller. Is that a windows application i need to download to uninstall previous firmware? Thanks a lot for your help 🙂

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Jul 10, 2017

@Shreyas1983

Sorry The method I described is for Windows.

Use the link below to downgrade to the previous version of IOS/Android/Mac

(they haven't updated to the newest version yet so it's still the previous version)--

https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView#!/feedtype=SINGLE_ARTICLE_DETAIL&dc=SoundTouch&criter...

Let us know if this works

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Windows is fine mate. I rarely use internet radio, so I only only ever use the app to change outout levels of centre/surround channels. So i want to get rid of the IOS app, and use windows app instead. I have downloaded the windows app 14.80 from the link you gave above, and also downloaded the update.stu for 14.80. How do I go about flashing 14.80 firmware on a system that has 15.x firmware? If i install the 14.80 windows app, and try to add soundtouch 300 via wifi, will it prompt me to downgrade the firmware? Never done this before sorry.

Or maybe the direct IP update method might work? 

https://www.soundtouch.com/KnowledgeCenterView?id=kA140000000GvhlCAC

Edit: On another note, I played with the system a bit more on the 15.x. It seems when I am playing music wirelessly, and push the bass to max with the remote, the AM300 starts rattling. It's most like they are diverting all of the bass signal to the sub when playing via bluetooth, but not doing so when playing via TV/HDMI/bluray. Never had the AM300 rattle before.