cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thekylemcmillan
Registered since

Aug 6, 2016

Bluetooth Audio Playback Spotty - Soundtouch 30

My Bose Soundtouch 30 works great for the most part. However, when I connect a device (MacBook, iPhone, etc.) via bluetooth to my Bose Soundtouch 30 it will play the audio back great for all of two minutes before it becomes very spotty and cutting in and out for the rest of the time the speaker is on. This does not happen when I play an internet radio station. Also when connected via bluetooth the playback over the speaker seems much quieter than the internet radio stations and this is after verifying that the volume on the bluetooth device (MacBook, iPhone, etc.) is already max. I appreciate any time the Bose community takes to help me solve this problem. Thank you.
1 REPLY 1
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Bluetooth Audio Playback Spotty - Soundtouch 30

Hi thekylemcmillan,
A slight but noticeable difference in relative volume level between the Bluetooth source and streaming internet sources is normal.  However the intermittent audio you are reporting is definitely not usual.  While bluetooth uses the same 2.4Ghz range as Wi-Fi, this technology has much shorter range and is much more susceptible to near-by interference than your Wi-Fi connection. 
There are two common factors that can cause intermittent Bluetooth response:

1. Signal strength
    1. Make sure that the speaker remains within 30 ft of the android phone. The Bluetooth range is much shorter than for Wi-fi
    2. Eliminate any walls or obstructions between the speaker and the phone. Even thin barriers can cause significant loss in signal and reduce the range.
    3. Do not carry the phone in a pocket with you while playing via Bluetooth. Doing so can result in your body occasionally  blocking reception whenever it ends up between the two devices.

2. Interference
    1. Try moving the SoundTouch 30 system to a different location, or even a different room and see if the Bluetooth issues are resolved. If so, the previous location was likely too close to a power supply, appliance, or another piece of electronics that was causing interference.
    2. Also keep your phone or other Bluetooth source away from potential sources of interference. Laptop power supplies, Wireless game controllers, Wireless telephones, etc.
    3. While close proximity to the home wi-fi router is desirable generally, placing the system or or source exceptionally close (within 2-3 feet) of the router can actually result in feedback and interference that would cause Bluetooth issues. If your system is this close, try hard-wiring the Wi-Fi via an ethernet cable instead. 

Please explore both of these and try the tests suggested above. Let us know if you continue having trouble.