Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 27, 2017

Bluetooth Delay

I have added a couple Soundtouch 10's to my sound arsenal. The Soundtouch 20 streams Netflix and my Cable TV sound streams perfectly, but when I use the Soundtouch app, which I need to stream to all the Soundtouch speakers, there is a 4-5 second delay, which makes watching movies and TV impossible.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2016

Re: Bluetooth Delay

Same here and this kills the use case I have bought the ST300 & ST10 for .. having sound on both for the TV so  I could listen in my kitchen .. was sold by bose rep confirming that the system would do this . Learned later that ST 300 not shares SOUND  but only MUSIC (important difference but not clear in any BOSE sales documents nor presented this way in  a bose owned shop) and that BT sharing gives an 4 sec delay which makes this user setup useless

Needless to say I never got a bose answer on various requests to explain why the sellers are so badly trained nor why the sales material is so vage / unclear on this important subject .

Really not happy with this and the un-responsive bose approach makes me a frist & last time buyer . 

My money now will go to companies which communicate & care about buyers after the sale .

Greetings Bjoern 

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Glorybound and Bjoern,

Unfortunately there is a delay when listening to Bluetooth audio due to the digital signal processing. Many apologies for the frustration this has caused. 

Thank you

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2016

Thanks  Brent_B for the reply. But my source of frustration is not the technical BT issue ... it is rather that 

1) Bose sellers are either badly trained or selling not available functions (tested in 3 bose shops in Paris)

2) Bose information is misleading and should be corrected to wireless MUSIC system only , TV is not wireless shared to other speakers beyond Bass & invisible . So soundtouch 10/20/30 should not be mentioned in relation with ST 300 as TV is NOT shared

3) Still dont get it why bose is not technically sharing TV sound over wifi .. that is the sole purpose for a TV soundbar integrated in a WIFI multiroom system or ? 

regards Bjoern

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

I can certainly see how that would be frustrating. I will pass this feedback on to the appropriate channels here. Although AUX rebroadcast is currently not functional yet, we are working to bring it to the systems that will support it. Our product line manager spoke about this in the thread HERE and that we've targeted late summer. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 30, 2017

Hi

I agree with the above customers. I bought 4 SoundTouch speakers hoping to use them to have my TV audio all over my house. At no point was I led to understand that these speakers could not be used with a TV. It seems I have now wasted quite a lot of money. It seems misleading of Bose not to clearly state that these cannot be used with a TV or videos. I am sure that most people assume Bluetooth is Bluetooth and would not expect this long delay. I will not be buying any more Bose speakers in the future. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

@Glorybound

With respect if you read the Bose website nowhere does it mention streaming TV to the SoundTouch 20 speaker. It clearly states music but doesnt mention anything about TV, the SoundTouch 20 isn't designed to be a TV speaker which is pretty clear when you read the website.

Infact i don't think a system exists in the world that will Bluetooth a TV's audio then rebroadcast it around the house to other Wifi speakers and do this without a delay. In conclusion Bluetooth just isn't ideal for TV audio for multiple reasons (potential delay, no Dolby or DTS support, compressed). Im sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.

The SoundTouch 300 situation is slightly different and i could understand people getting confused and presuming the TV sound could be sent to other speakers. It looks like Bose is working on this and im guessing will have some sort of audio delay compensation aswell.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 2, 2017

This is actually so weird for me. Because I have previously owned a Bose SoundLink 2 and I haven't had ISSUES AT ALL. 

So, give me a solution for this. I've spent 350 USD for a speaker that doesn't do what is supposed to do. 😞

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

Ok, now I'm really triggered.

I just can't understand why Bose, knowing for over a year that the aux and bt delay is a fact and is killing a very, very common use case, does not CLEARLY communicate this on Soundtouch product page? "Hey, aux an bt have a delay, don't buy our product if you intend to play TV sound through it" would be enough in the product FAQ section - yet it's not there, still, I checked (... and took screenshots for future argument).

I asked this direct question to Bose staff at an official Bose store here in Warsaw before buying and got a straight answer "sure, you can, no problem". So, basically I neglectfully misinformed or outright cheated.

Come on, Bose!! It's obvious you have known about this delay from the start, it's obvious from numerous,  numerous posts on this forum that a lot of customers have been, let's call it out, outright tricked into buiyng your product (me included).

I really don't want to hear Brent's copy-paste answers along the lines of "sorry for the frustration". They mean nothing, they solve nothing, they just irritate. What I want is for Bose to update the SoundTouch product FAQ immediately to clearly warn potential customers with this use case, and for the software team to start working on a fix.

Otherwise, it's just bull***t.

Highlighted
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 11, 2017

@Jbaker

"It clearly states music but doesn't mention TV" - I strongly disagree. All systems compatible with a specific technology, be it BT, regular audio cable, Airplay, can be expected to work together in a standard way.  If there are specific quirks and limitations (aux and Bt delay in Bose speakers), they should be called out and clearly stated!

BT has such a small inherent delay that watching TV definitely IS possible - I have an old Creative bluetooth speaker and it works perfectly for movies on my laptop. I can live without Dolby, it is known that BT is a lossy tech and sound quality is different. But this doesn't eliminate my use case. The problem is Bose and their signal processing, which adds a significantly larger delay on top of bluetooth's own, small delay to produce unacceptable results. This is what should be called out by Bose. That's where Bose is being shady and dishonest.

Now, imagine you've bought an Apple product and this discussion is on an Apple forum.. Hard to imagine Apple would do this to their customers, right?