mm08
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 7, 2015

Bluetooth not working - SoundTouch 30

My partner bought top range speaker from John Lewis. With main reason sound + Bluetooth + wireless capability. Not impressed with connectivity at all.
1. Bluetooth is just not working or even appearing when you press AUX button.  Initially there was an article in the owners community saying it was a system this software issue will be fixed soon in beginning of October. Still nothing.
2. Wireless connectivity is awful and keeps on dropping off even though we have a wifi booster. Having to reset the system and/or rooter to fix this at least once a week.
Please fix these it's frustrating. 
We are getting frustrated and think we'll return the system if this is not fixed by the end of the month and buy a simple good quality Bluetooth speaker and stream from the phones. What's the point of great sound if you spend more time sorting out connection issues then listening to music?

7 REPLIES 7
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Bluetooth not working - SoundTouch 30

Hi mm08,

Let's tackle the Bluetooth issue first, and we can come back to your Wi-Fi troubles once that is resolved. 

Bluetooth was added to these products with the release of series III. If you accidentally obtained an older series I or II Soundtouch 30 product then that might explain the lack of BT connection. An easy way to tell would be that the Bluetooth symbol should by printed on the physical AUX button on top of a series III system like so:
Migrated Image

• If your system shows only AUX on that button: you likely have one of the older AirPlay equipped models. (Bluetooth connection will not be available in this case)
  • If that button does appear as shown above: please provide us some more details on the error so that we can troubleshoot:
    1. Does the SoundTouch app show a Bluetooth input for the speaker in the "EXPLORE" menu on the right?
    2. What happens on the front display of the SoundTouch 30 when you select Bluetooth? (either with the app or the buttons)
    3. What brand and model of device are you trying to connect via Bluetooth.

Let us know. Thank you. 
CHC
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 6, 2015

I am experiencing the same issue. I bought the latest SoundTouch 30 III. The BT/AUX buton is just as you showed above. According to the manual, pressing the button will toggle between BT and AUX.  But when I pressed it, only AUX is shown. Pressing it several times or holding it down for >10 secs does nothing - the AUX continues to be displayed, without going into BT mode.  Please help.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

CHC,

If the Bluetooth option is not appearing when you press this button the system software may need to be updated. If you have not already installed the SoundTouch application and set the speaker up on your Wi-Fi network you should do so. Part of this setup process will perform an automatic Software update to the speaker.

You can perform setup by downloading the App for Android or iOS devices (in their respective app stores) or from a Mac or PC computer by downloading the software here.  

Thank you

Dermot
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 31, 2016

I bought a Soundtouch 30 last May for £350.  Within the first year it no longer supports airplay and has no bluetooth capability.  Left high and dry by Bose.
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Dorset,
Which series of SoundTouch 30 do you have? The latest series is when we switched from Airplay to Bluetooth. What software is installed on your SoundTouch 30? If you have a SoundTouch 30 series III the software needs to be 9.0.41 or later to utilize Bluetooth. If your system is not at 9.0.41 then a simple software update will correct this.
 To obtain the software version, follow these steps:
  1. Press and hold 5 and Volume - for approximately 5 seconds. "Hold for system information" will appear on the display and a countdown from 5 will begin
  2. Once the countdown ends, the first menu item of the system information screen will appear
  3. Press Volume - until "4.2 Version" appears. The number below is the software version. Only the numbers that appear to the left of the third period are needed
  4. If this menu item was skipped over, press Volume + to go back
  5. To exit the system information screen, press the power button

Thank you
Dreib
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 19, 2016

About the BLUETOOTH connectivity issue.I tried resetting the whole system as i was able to use it with my samsung galaxy s6 edge before just by selecting the bluetooth icon. When i updated the system, the bluetooth option was gone. Im wondering why. Can u help me with this please. The reason why i bought this is bcz we have an option to use it via airplay and bluetooth.  Now im stuck using wd my apple devices. 
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Dreib,

It is unclear which model of SoundTouch product you own. However, no single product we have made has supported both Bluetooth and AirPlay.

• Series I & II products had AirPlay support and no Bluetooth features.
  • On Series III & IV products, Airplay was removed entirely and replaced with Bluetooth. 

This means that if you are currently using a speaker via AirPlay, then it is an earlier series which cannot support Bluetooth. 
If this is not the case, please let us know which exact Model and Series of SoundTouch Product(s) you own and we can assist you further. If you have more than one SoundTouch device it is possible that you own a combination of Bluetooth and AirPlay capable models. Let us know!