Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 10, 2015

Bluetooth pairing with TV - SoundTouch 20 series iii

Hi, 
I just brought home the SoundTouch 20 Series iii and what a wonderful speaker system it is! I wish there were more presets though. 🙂 I used to own the Bose home theater a few years ago and am a big fan of Bose products.
The problem i have right now - my panasonic TV (50as700a viera) is bluetooth enabled. It paired up with Bose Soundlink mini beautifully, but it doesnt sustain the pairing with SoundTouch. The TV says 'connected' but SoundTouch says 'ready to pair'. The audio does stream through SoundTouch for a few minutes and then switches back to the TV (horrible audio!). So, it sounds like SoundTouch has a problem recognising the 'pairing' and completing the process. 
The main difference in the pairing process (as compared to ipad / iphone) is that my TV insists on a pin and it is happy as long as i enter any 4 digit numbers. It connects, streams the audio through SoundTouch, but SoundTouch doesnt seem to recognise that, keeps saying 'ready to pair' and then eventually disconnects. 
Any work-around for this? Really appreicate any feedback on this. I am very keen on connecting my TV to SoundTouch. 
Thanks!
Pragathi
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Re: Bluetooth pairing with TV - SoundTouch 20 series iii

Pragathi: I've got a Panasonic Viera TV that I think supports Bluetooth audio devices as well.  Let me do some experimenting with it and I'll let you know the results. 
Thanks! 
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 10, 2015

Thanks Jason, looking forward to a fix.
Regards
Pragathi
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Pragthi, here's what I was able to find.
Unfortunately I was unable to pair my systems at all with my TV as they wouldn't show up in the Bluetooth device list.  My TV supposedly supports the AptX Bluetooth protocol with is a high quality wireless format.  What's unclear is whether this is designed to receive audio from my Bluetooth device or transmit audio to a speaker.  My guess is that it's a receiver only since TV's that output Bluetooth audio are extremely rare and frankly, I've never seen one.
What's odd is that you say it works for a few minutes before the pairing is lost.  I'm wondering if the SoundTouch system is connecting through a different Bluetooth profile (such as AVRCP) and the TV is realizing that and then shutting it down.  
Per Panasonic's spec page:
50as700a 
Bluetooth** Y (Keyboards/Mouses/Audio Devices)
NOTE ** HID (Human Interface Device Profile) compliant keyboards are available. A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) compliant audio devices are available.

The fact that "audio devices" is referenced is confusing.  I would imagine if your TV was designed to stream audio that it would be listed as an actual feature on its product page.
Unless someone here on the forum has more information on how they successfully accomplished this, I'd suggest checking with Panasonic to clarify their use of A2DP in this TV and see if it's intended to do this or not. 
If you get any new information, please feel free to share it as we'd be interested in learning about it. 
Thanks!
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 10, 2015

Thanks for trying Jason. Yes, my version of Panasonic TV supports AD2P. I connected other devices through - menu (on remote) >setup > Bluetooth setup> Bluetooth devices. I have successfully connected the TV using Bluetooth to stream its audio to various other audio systems (cheap Bluetooth headphone, iPad, iPhone etc) and it works. It even worked with Bose SoundLink Mini. It is SoundTouch that seems to have problems staying connected. And disconnection seems to happen from speaker end, since although it is streaming audio, it fails to say 'connected' and continues to say 'ready to pair'. Hope that helps and there's a solution in the horizon. Regards Pragathi
Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 10, 2015

hi Jason,
I now picked up a digital audio cable to connect the tv to sound touch. And no luck again! Nothing happens on Aux mode. is there any specific cable i should be using?
I still wonder why bluetooth connection with tv worked fine with sound link mini but not with sound touch!
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Pragathi,

The Aux-In for the SoundTouch system is a 3.5mm analog input. It cannot be connected to a digital output from your TV without use of a Digital-to-Analog converter. If your TV has a headphone jack, or red and white RCA outputs, these may serve as an Analog output the speaker could use without a converter. 

Thank you.

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 29, 2015

I am trying to connect the Soundtouch20 to my samsung smart tv with red and white RCA outputs but no luck. I was able to connect my bose solo15 to the same tv using optic cable provided by bose. what cable should be used to connect Soundtouch20 to my samsung smart tv.
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Hi Sulekha,
Your TV's digital output will likely only be available via that Optical jack that you used with the Solo system.  The SoundTouch 20 is not designed for home theater use and does not have an optical input.
To use these two devices together, you would need to use a Digital-to-Analog converter connected between them. This is a 3rd party device that  would change the digital optical signal to an analog signal that your SoundTouch 20 can receive via the AUX input. 
Hope this helps!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 16, 2015

The fastest and easiest way I have found to do this is to use a male to male 3.5mm headphone cable and then connect to the Soundtouch20 via the auxiliry input setting... works fine on my 2 tv's (samsung and LG brands)