Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2016

Bluetooth signal skipping and breaks up

Just bought the Soundtouch30 this December. When using  Bluetooth, the music stream is skipping at a regular interval . This is quite annoying.  
The problem is present using my LG phone  or my Samsung tablet.  I also know others who have the same issue.
This is NOT a poor reception or signal strength issue. I tested the Bluetooth signal with another wireless speaker in the same location in my house using the same streaming source and have no issues and never had any issues with Bluetooth in my house.
It's seems clear that this is a BOSE system issue. Any fixes on the way ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2016

Re: Bluetooth signal skipping and breaks up- SOLUTION

Author Accepted Answer selected by fclemay

The problem is that the radio frequency for Bleuthooth most wifi are 2.4 ghz thus creating interference. Most routers will allow you to set a 2.4 and a 5 ghz connection. I switched the wifi connection on my Soundtouch 30 to the 5.0 connection.  This completely resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by fclemay

The problem is that the radio frequency for Bleuthooth most wifi are 2.4 ghz thus creating interference. Most routers will allow you to set a 2.4 and a 5 ghz connection. I switched the wifi connection on my Soundtouch 30 to the 5.0 connection.  This completely resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 21, 2017

Re: Bluetooth signal skipping and breaks up

i have the same issue here. My small JBL speaker of 30 euro never has issues. I placed both speakers at the same spot.
The bose looses every now and then signal. The JBL never!
I do not have the possibility of changing to 5GHz.
But in my opinion that is a workaround. Not a solution.
Maybe someone else has a idea?
Participant
Registered since

Feb 21, 2017

I made a mistake.... I own the soundtouch 300....
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Hi @Hbol,

Connecting the system to the 5GHz network would be the best option to avoid interference with the wireless network, but if that is not an option I would recommend trying to change the wireless channel on the 2.4GHz network. I would recommend trying to change the wireless channel to 11 first, and then trying 6 or 1 if channel 11 also causes interference with the Bluetooth connection.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 21, 2017

I will try that. But only after the new firmware will be rolled out.

I hope that that does not solve the problem, because the wifi channel I use is the one where no neighbours are on. So it is my clearest wifi channel to use.

What I still do not understand is that by little jbl-go speaker has no problems with bluetooth. Even when I place the small speaker at the same spot as my BOSE ST300

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2016

Hi Hbol

The interference comes from the fact that the Bose speaker has built in wifi and Bluetooth connectivity thus the interference. Your JBL-go speaker only has Bluetooth connectivity thus elminating any possibality since it has no built in wifi chip. The source of the interference comes from within your Bose speaker and not from the router signal in the house. 

As for the 5.0 ghz connection, any recent routers support that frequency but has to be configured on your router otherwise it will not be available to you. Once you do the setup you should see the two chanels (2.4 and 5.0)   

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

I would like to confirm that setting a 5GHz WiFi network on my rooter and connecting my soundtouch 20 to it solved the problem.

Till now, i had the st20 connected to the  usual  2.4GHz network, and i was experiencing gaps in sound and even pitch changes (!?! I know it is not supposed to happen with digital devices) it sounded like an old cassette tape player slowing down for 1 second or 2...

I tried to change channels to 1,3,4,9,11, (i didn't try all the others) but no success.

By the time i switched the st20 to the 5GHz network, no more issue, i can stream on Bluetooth while my android devices are still on the 2.4GHz. 

This forum discussion has been very helpful. 

I'm still wondering though why there is this very specific interference with the 2.4GHz option and using Bluetooth...

I think not everyone has this issue...

Anyway, I'm glad now to fully enjoy the soundtouch 20.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

I'm frustrated with this same problem...i would like to try this solution. How do i determine if my settings are 2.4 or 5 ghz?? and how do i change from one to the other??

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2017

How do you set it for 5Ghz? Is it set in router or Soundtouch?