Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Bose Alexa skill on Ecobee4

Hello experts, 

I use ecobee4 with built in Alexa. I enabled the skill on the app, linked the account however Alexa responds ' I am not sure how I can help with that' 

Please advise if this skill is tested with Ecobee4 as well. 

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Bose Alexa skill on Ecobee4

Hi suhailshaik, 

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with the new Alexa skill. At this time, I can't confirm for sure if testing has been done on this specific third-party device, but can definitely look into this. Based on a bit of quick research, it seems that this device fully supports 3rd-party skills, so it doesn't seem that there should be any compatability issues. 

Curiously, do you have an Amazon Echo device (non 3rd-party) that you could try the skill on?

Could you also confirm that you went through the following steps to set up the skill?

1. On your mobile device, open the Amazon Alexa app
  2. From the app menu, select "Skills"
  3. In the search field, enter "Bose," then tap the search icon
  4. Select the Bose Skill for Alexa from the search results
  5. Choose "Enable"
  6. When prompted, enter your SoundTouch account username and password

Finally, are you using the following phrase before you are attempting commands: "Alexa, ask Bose to..." ? This invocation phrase is important. This tells Alexa to use the Bose skill instead of accessing her own standard responses. 

Some common commands you can try:

Alexa, ask Bose to turn on (or off) 
Alexa, ask Bose to turn up (or down) the volume 
Alexa, ask Bose to set volume to 8 [or any level from 1 through 10] 
Alexa, ask Bose to mute (or unmute) 
Alexa, ask Bose to play (or pause, skip forward, skip backward) 
Alexa, ask Bose to play preset 1 (or any other stored preset) 
Alexa, ask Bose what's playing 
Alexa, ask Bose to list my presets 
Alexa, ask Bose to play all 
Alexa, ask Bose to turn all off 
Alexa, ask Bose about [system name] 

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Hello Brian, 

Thanks for responding. I do not have an echo device unfortunately to try this on. 

Yes I followed the exact same steps you have listed. I even disabled and re-enabled the skill but it doesnt really work 😞 

Is there anyway which I can get this solved? 

Thanks!

Suhail Shaik

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Suhail Shaik, thanks for your response!

One final item to check would be to make sure your SoundTouch speaker(s) are updated to the latest software version (17.x). This version is required for compatibility with the new Alexa app and is currently in the midst of a staged roll-out. The final stage should be complete by the end of the day tomorrow (12/02/2017). 

To check your software version:

1. Open the SoundTouch app
  2. Select the menu icon (top-left corner)
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select About
  5. Select your speaker
  6. Check the Software version. Let us know if this begins with 16 or 17. 

If you see 16 or lower, you should be prompted for the update within the next day. If you do see 17, let us know. We will escalate this further to our engineering teams if needed. 

Thank you!

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Hello Brian, 

The version is 17.0.8. 

I restarted Ecobee4 as well and no luck. 

Please do escalate this and looking forward for a fix. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi there Suhail Shaik,

I just have a few more questions before I get this escalated for you.

Are you located in the US?  Currently the skill is only enabled for US-English and US based Amazon accounts.  It sounds like you do have a US based account, but I want to be 100 percent sure as that is the first thing engineering will ask.

Do other 3rd party skills enabled on your Ecobee4 work without issue?  If so, what skills do you have enabled (if you don't mind me asking)?

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Hi Brandon, 

Yes I am based in US. I have other skills such as CBC news, Weather, Fox news, Animal sounds etc work with no issues. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 5, 2017

Hello Brandon, 

I think I know what the issue is - 

My wife had a Canadian amazon account which she registered Alexa with. Initially Bose wasnt showing up on the skill and she called up Amazon to change the country. They did that and Bose skill showed up on Alexa however due to this conflict the  skill doesnt work. 

I have used a different account to link Alexa and it is recognizing the skill now on Ecobee4. The problem now is it says 'No soundtouch systems online, please check the sound touch app to see if your speakers are online, you can also reconnect offline speakers'

When I go to my Sound touch app I can see the speaker listed. I can still see 'Connect to a wifi network' even after I reconnected it still seems to be not online. 

Kindly advise. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for the extra info Suhail,

Let me investigate this and I will follow up with you soon.

Best,

Brandon

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2017

Has this ever been resolved? I am a US customer, just purchased an Echo, have 17.0.8 updated on my soundtouch 20, and even though the skill is enabled, and sees the speaker when I enabled the skill, Alexa is telling me no soundtouch systems are online....