Highlighted
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Bose App with Plex Media Server DLNA?

Is the Bose App supposed to be compatible with Plex?  In the app, I can add Plex as a music source, and in the App I can browse my Plex library and, when I can navigate to a song, I can play it on my SoundTouch speakers.  
But in many instances navigating around often results in error 1601 - it always happens for the same items / folders and it seems to be those that have large amounts of items immediately beneath them.  For intsance, navigating to "All Artists" or "By Album gives this error (there are thousands of each in my library), but "By Genre" or "By Decade" work.  
Additionally, attempting to use the App to search the Plex library (i.e. the magnifying glass icon) always gives error 1621, no matter what I search for. 
Is there anything Bose can do on their side to improve this?  I could just use the iTunes feature of the Bose App, but this has huge issues as well (especially the need to go through a 10 minute sync process every time PC is turned on)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - Basic Function

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Joel_D

Hello SingingEyeTie,

Thanks for the reply and question.

SoundTouch does not work with Plex; it works with NAS drives that have DLNA capabilities. The WD NAS My Cloud Personal Cloud Storage is a NAS drive other SoundTouch users have had good experiences with. 

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

20 REPLIES 20
Community Manager

Re: Bose App with Plex Media Server DLNA?

Hi Marty.  The SoundTouch systems are not fully DLNA compatible so use with other media servers such as Plex is not completely supported.  We've done some testing with Plex based on your post and can confirm the behavior you're describing.
A 10 minute sync process every time the SoundTouch music server starts does sound excessive though.  How large is your music library?  
For extremely large libraries you may wish to consider using a NAS drive for better performance and the benefit of not needing to turn the PC on to access it. 
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Hi, thanks for your reply.  Glad to know you guys can duplicate these issues with Plex.  My library is a bit over 50,000 songs so it is indeed large, and I haven't timed exactly how long it takes to sync (but seems like around 10 minutes to me, give or take) - I think though that there's a big opportunity to improve the software in that regard, though - Plex might take 10 minutes to resync my library too, but it doesn't need to do it every time it starts up.  Same for Spotify - the Spotify app on my PC makes my local songs available as well and it doesn't have to go through a huge process every time it restarts to do it, but unfortunately it cannot play local songs to SoundTouch devices, it seems.  
skinfreak
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 20, 2016

This is a big shame. I am trying to make up my mind about SoundTouch after having some experience with a Samsung. Whether I stick to Samsung or jump to Bose or Sonos hinges on a decent DLNA integration. Plus Sonos has Plex support nativly now...
hptasins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2016

Is there some magic required to get music to plat from Plex?  I have a SoundTouch 10, and use the Android app to control it.  In the app, I can add my server, browse the albums, and select a song.  But nothing ever plays, and I don't get any error codes in the app.

Henryp, 

As Jason mentioned above SoundTouch products may or may not work correctly with Plex. Most often we see some partial or incomplete functionality since these both use Elements of DLNA however this may change across different combinations of hardware and software. The SoundTouch systems are not fully DLNA compliant, and thus they are ultimately not compatible with Plex.
We apologize that this will not match the way you were hoping to use your product.

hptasins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2016

Which protocol(s) does the SoundTouch system use to get music from compatible NAS servers?  The FAQ for the SoundTouch 10 states "SoundTouch® systems are compatible with select NAS drives, including Synology’s DiskStation and Western Digital’s My Cloud™". I'm currently using Plex with DLNA on my server, but I can switch to some other protocol and/or media server app.
Also, is there a complete list of compatible NAS drives available somewhere?  The FAQ only lists the two drives I quoted above, but it implies that drives are compatible.

The issue in this case is specifically with Plex, other DLNA media servers tend to work better. For instance, the WD MyCloud drives run Twonky media server and have worked very well in testing. Synology's equipment has also tested well which is why we list them in that article.
There is no complete list of compatible drives as new hardware is released all the time. We have heard from customers having success with a wide variety of brands and models generally.
Thank you. 
hptasins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2016

Well, I tried both Twonky and MediaTomb, and they behave the same as Plex - no music playing, no error messages on the Android app.  My LG TV is able to find and play music with both Plex or Twonky servers, so the issue doesn't seem to be on the server side.  The SoundTouch 10 can stream Amazon Prime and Pandora ok, so it's at least somewhat functional.  Any suggestions?

Henryp,
If multiple DLNA servers have the same trouble then we may have hit one of the corner cases of hardware compatibility. Can you let us know what Brand and Model of NAS drive you trying to use in this situation?
Thank you.