Highlighted
hptasins
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 25, 2016

Re: Bose App with Plex Media Server DLNA?

I'm using a Shuttle XS35V2 PC running Ubuntu Xenial 16.04.

Henryp,
While our NAS drive feature involves some aspects of DLNA, it is still designed only for use with dedicated NAS drive hardware. Hosting your music library via DLNA with other hardware like a Linux PC is not recommended as you may experience partial or no functionality.
While we do occasionally see customers having success using non-standard devices, we see just as many cases where this isn't possible to set up successfully.  This is not something we can provide support on however.
We do encourage any other community members who have a similar setup running to discuss their results here.
GadgetGeek
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2016

I use my SoundTouch 20s and 30 with Plex, but the results are usually less than perfect.  I have all my music sorted by Genre, Artist, and then Album. In Bose Soundtouch software I have to hit Plex, Music, Music, By Folder. Large albums like compilations used to trip up the Bose app, but recent updates have made this better. For example, my 80's compliation folder has 580+ songs and I can play it sometimes (I just tried right now, and get an eternal spinning wheel).

What happens often is that I select something to play and the SoundTouch just does nothing and says "select something to play". When this happens, I usually have to pull the power on the SoundTouch in order to get it to start playing again. I never have to do anything with Plex--so I believe my troubles are a Bose DLNA issue. 

I bought this very expensive system to seamlessly stream my local music, but I have so many problems with the DLNA implementation I get very frustrated. 

nico007
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 22, 2016

The overall problem is that Bose is still within the mindset of the old proprietary approach and think it can do better than software giants. 
Focus should be on DLNA, Bluetooth, Airplay and Chromecast and that's it. Once this is in place then it's about APIs so you can use IFTT, Smartthings, Alexa,,, Only then  there should be a proprietary software added to it.

GadgetGeek
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 26, 2016

Well...let's see... Airplay usually cuts out after listening to a few songs and hangs the iPhone. Bose decided to pull Airplay support completely from the SoundTouch 30 generation that I purchased. DLNA/Plex often times won't play with random errors. I'm not a fan of Bluetooth audio as I have a large home and the 30 feet radius is very limiting. What's left? Pandora that plays the same songs over and over. *sigh*
nico007
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 22, 2016

i am with you GadgetGeek. So much hardware potential totally ruined by weak software. Would be much better to Open Source Soundtouch and get the developer community to take it where it should be.
SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Wave SoundTouch IV - Basic Function

Now ripping software onto an external HD. Plan to move music files to a NAS.

Qu: Will The SoundTouch app read the music files directly from the NAS or do I need to build a library for it to read??

Re: Wave SoundTouch IV - Basic Function

Hi SingingEyeTie,

Thanks for the question!

You'll need to have a media server running on the NAS drive to serve the files to the SoundTouch system.  My recommendation would be Twonky Media Server (as long as your NAS drive supports it).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Thanks - your reply helps as I wade through this rather “murky” arena of NAS vs External HD.

I am leaning towards a WD NAS. Indications are that these come with Plex. Also Twonky - but I see some indication that for Twonky firmware updates you are on your own. 

So does Plex work with SoundTouch IV?

SingingEyeTie
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

Like I said...murky world of NAS drives!! Plex works sometimes. DLNA works sometimes. Is there anything that works “all the time”?

I am sticking external HDs on my PC in my upstairs office. I will set up Wake on LAN so I can fire up the PC from downstairs when I want music.