rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Bose Should Drop HDMI

Over the years we have seen tech companies drop redundant and unnecessary technologies in the name of progress. Apple is famous for it all the way back to floppy drives, SCSI and more recently optical drives and 3.5mm port(maybe a little too far). The original Apple TVs were loaded with ports.

Bose has also dropped technologies with the view of streamlining their products. Whole speaker lines gone. Most recently the 901 with its equalizer, optical drives and a host of other obsolete connection ports. The SoundTouch Cotroller that looked like a wall thermostat - gone. If you look in the box of the latest ST500 speaker all you will find is a power cord and some papers. Indeed the line has been reduced to one bookshelf speaker. That may only be related to product deployment plans with more speakers on the way. 

Up up until recently I held ground on the console approach last seen with the 130 speaker bar series and Lifestyle line. I have to say however lately I am seeing the logic of a speaker line with fibre only connections and of course the wireless protocols. While Bose still offers the Lifestyle series with its shiny console I beleive those days are number in the Bose universe any way. 

I was was concerned about upgrading my older Plasma TV to 4K and what to do about the HDMI cables, HDCP 2.2 etc. Fortunately that wasn’t a problem with the latest lineup of Smart TVs. I expressed concerns that relying on the TV manufacturers for consistent standards was problematic. However I have changed my view for good reason. These TVs seem to be doing a good job with the Apps. Apple is even climbing aboard with iTune and airplay.

Fibre optic seems to be a great audio connection standard - still. I have a couple Solos that sport only a fibre connection. They have been rock solid. Fact is that on the advice of the Bose moderators I set up my new tv connecting all my components directly to the TV via the HDMI ports. Optical carried the sound. This was a work around to the 4K HDCP 2.0. Well in fact turns out the TV is doing a **bleep** good job carrying the apps in 4K HDR no less. Optical sound to my soundboard is first rate DD 5.1.

So now I have a 130 console sitting in between an aging Yamaha BD player, Apple TV and Cable Tuner. I would be happy just to clear that second shelf of my TV stand but there is a little matter of Live TV and cable for other users in the household.

I remain committed to my Cinemate 130 at least for a few more years because it still works so well and I have a long extended warranty. But I have certainly changed my mind about consoles v non console setups. 

HDMI ARC/CEC represents to me at least a lot of problems and issues around varying CEC standards and  4K playback. Optical across the Bose line seems like a clean trouble free way for Bose and consumers alike. After all Bose need not concern itself any more with the video side of the equation. The TVs are doing that.

What will be interesting if the engineers will be able to figure out a ways to transport ATMOS over fibre if indeed ATMOS is here to stay.

6 REPLIES 6
mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Re: Bose Should Drop HDMI

Seems like in what youy want Bose will also have to do Atmos. Some thing they don't do now. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I disagree.  HDMI is great when it works and it works for me.  Optical won't carry Atmos and I hope Bose is working on an Atmos system.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I disagree.  HDMI is great when it works and it works for me.  Optical won't carry Atmos and I hope Bose is working on an Atmos system.

Arguably keeping HDMI in the Bose speaker bar line up does differentiate the line from Sonos and others.

Agree, from what I have read optical doesn’t support hi def audio like Atmos. Only time will tell if Bose will adopt that standard. There certainly seems to be a lot of industry movement on Atmos and the DTS version. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I think Bose will have to keep up with the technology or they won't be around in 5 years.  It may or may not be Atmos, but probably will require HDMI or some sort of enhanced optical.

mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

It is hard to say what Bose will do. After all they still are stuck with 5.1. The best hometheater system they sell is behind other manufacturers. I own one and I do like it but I think it is the last Bose system I ever buy. While I like the nice small speakers and they do sound good I think for the premium price I should get a premium product. I don't think they are delivering this anymore. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I think Bose will have to keep up with the technology or they won't be around in 5 years.  It may or may not be Atmos, but probably will require HDMI or some sort of enhanced optical.

I shared in another post, comments made to me by a Best Buy employee some months ago. When I asked to see their Bose section he advised that Bose had really fallen behind lately on the sound formats and that the competitors were much further ahead with more advanced sound capabilities . At the time I wasn’t too sure what he was talking about except the fact that Bose didn’t have any Atmos offerings.

I have a better understanding now inso so far as Bose isn’t offering any of the higher resolution audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Atmos and DTS -X. I don’t know how this is translating into sales but I am sure they are weighing the benefits of entering into the higher grade sound offerings, costs for engineering and development and dollar return. Bose has been around for some time. I am sure that Bose evaluates whether they will get a good return on their dollar prior to making the investment.

Bose is a lot like Apple, they don’t necessarily play on the bleeding edge but aim for good solid products that they can sell lots of. 

HDMI has a pretty good roadmap for the future. From what I have read HDMI 2.1 can get up to 10 X video theoretically. e-ARC also boasts some pretty impressive cabilities on the audio side.

Apple dropped Toslink Fibre from the Apple TV. This is likely because the latest Apple TVs provide Dolby Atmos which Toslink fibre can’t carry. So perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps HDMI audio is the way of the future and more work needs to be done on the CEC side of the equation.

I often wonder if HDMI can be used just for audio so as not to worry about the 4K standard and for that matter tricky CEC. Apparently CEC is required in order for the Audio Return Channel to work.