Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

Bose SoundTouch 130 -- 4k signal drop every few minutes

Hello, I have been reading the forum here for a while but this is my first post here.
I recently got Bose SoundTouch 130, and my setup is to connect my PC with the 4K TV while having 5.1 surround sound from Bose. To set this up, I use:
- Samsung UA55JS7200
- nVidia GeForce GTX 970 (ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)
- 2x HDMI 2.0 cable, one connecting from video card to Bose, and another from Bose to TV
- Computer resolution set to 3840x2160 (recommended) with refresh rate of 60Hz
On my Windows 10, the speaker is set to Bose CineMate, and I do get incredible sound from this setup. However, every few minutes (about once every 5-10 minutes), the signal will somehow drop and the TV screen will turn completely black for about 1-2 seconds before turning back. The sound, however, is not affected and continues to play even when the video signal dropped. This only happens on 4K setup.
What's weird is that there is another cable that I try. HDMI 1.4 from Amazon. If I plug this cable directly from PC to 4K TV, I can still play 4K at 60Hz without any signal drop. However, using HDMI-ARC from PC >> TV >> Bose I can only get 2 channels stereo sound, which is less than ideal. Same with my currently HDMI 2.0 cable. If I connect directly from PC to TV, 4K seems to work fine, but once it pass through the Bose receiver, the signal begins to drop.
I have already update my Bose console to the latest firmware, which supported 4K @ 60fps.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to watch media from my PC using Bose's 5.1 channel but the random video signal drop is making me crazy.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Bose SoundTouch 130 -- 4k signal drop every few minutes

It may be that some of the 4K content on your computer, the 4K TV or both are requiring a HDCP 2.2 security check. This is a copyright protection version which your SoundTouch 130 does not support and it would cause the drop-out of audio and video. This is potentially similar to the symptoms you describe. 
Connecting directly to the TV will be the best way to circumvent this if so. However, the trick will be getting your Surround sound audio to pass through the TV unchanged.

1. There may be audio format options which are being selected within the computer's audio settings based on what type of device is attached. If so we would need to override these settings on the computer to make it output 5.1 sound to the TV.
  2. If the TV is receiving 5.1 sound and then outputting 2.0 stereo via HDMI ARC, this would instead be a matter of format settings on that TV. Most TV's have an audio output selection. The ST130 will do best with Dolby Digital surround sound, but DTS or PCM should also work. 
  3. If this cannot be altered via HDMI ARC, it may be available as an option over the TV's optical output. This would require connecting an additional cable, but if the options are available it may resolve things.
  4. Make sure that you are testing the signal to your ST 130 only while surround sound content is playing, even when set correctly, the system will only report 5.1 during a movie or game creating this type of signal. Your computer desktop and most programs will only produce stereo sound, so the format will switch back and forth.

Hope this helps you narrow things down and solve

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

Thank you for the response. I think HDCP 2.2 is what causes signal dropout, since my graphic card is 2.2 and my TV is 2.2. It's a shame that SoundTouch 130 is not. Did you mentioned that it might be because of the 4K content on my computer. Does that HDCP 2.2 handshake occurs only when I play media that is in 4K? Because my symptom is that the dropout occurs occasionally whenever I set display resolution to native 3840x2160 and even if I keep my desktop open and nothing running, it will still cause dropouts.
Right now I'm connecting PC's HDMI directly to TV, and use HDMI-ARC to SoundTouch 130. The sound is noticably worse than connecting from PC to SoundTouch 130, and I have not been able to pass 5.1 from PC to SoundTouch 130.
You did mentioned in #1 that I might be able to override the settings on computer to make it output 5.1 sound to the TV. How would I do that? My playback devices on PC is listed as "SAMSUNG" and there's audio channel options only have "Stereo" available.
On the TV, I did go to Sound >> Additional Settings. My HDMI Audio Format is set to Bitstream (as opposed to PCM), and Audio Format set to DTS Neo 2:5 (original option was PCM, but that was 2.0, other option as Dolby Digital and DTS is greyed out). This is as close as I can get to see the Bose console displaying "DTS 5.1" -- but since the original audio source from PC is 2 channels stereo, the audio quality is already not a true 5.1. If I connect to TV+ARC (forced stereo) and play movies with 5.1 sound, the media player will still think I am outputting to stereo speakers and only stereo options available.
If I can somehow force my PC to output the audio in 5.1 to TV, I might be able to work this out. If you know a way to do this on PC (Windows 10, GeForce GTX 970), please let me know. It would be a great help.
Thank you
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

minnattawat 
You have the right idea that your content needs to maintain 5.1 channels throughout the trip from your computer to the sound system. We have discussed the possibility that the TV is down-sampling to stereo. However, there are three steps before the sound reaches the TV where things might be converted to stereo. Three other places to check:

1. Content - is the movie file you are playing definitely in 5.1? Sometimes streamed movies (from netflix or amazon) or ripped movies from DVD will only encode stereo audio to save space and bandwidth. 
  2. Player - Is the software that is playing your file set to output 5.1 surround sound? Some players like VLC have a number of audio options you can adjust manually.
  3. Sound Card - Is your computer capable of sending surround sound via the HDMI port? If the channel options in the "playback devices" list only 2-channel stereo then this may not be an option for the computer. Does this option appear when HDMI is connected to your Bose system instead of the TV?

It may or may not be possible to change settings or drivers such that your Sound Card will send 5.1 to the TV via HDMI. Regardless, the type of trouble described in #3 is an issue between the computer and TV. Support for either of those devices might have more insight on how to resolve this. 
Thank you. 
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

Hi George, thank you for the reply.
I'm certain that the content that I'm playing is 5.1 sound, because if I copy this same content onto the hard drive and play it from TV's USB port, I can select audio format to Dolby Digital or DTS depending on the content. This cannot be said the same when connecting with my PC. I'm using VLC Media Player and it's capable of playing my content in 5.1. If I connect my PC to Bose system I could output it in 5.1 channels and the media player would see it as 5.1 capable speakers, but with HDCP 2.2 incompatibility it's not ideal to connect to Bose this way. Connecting directly from PC to TV, however, it sees as stereo system and so does the media player.
I do not have a sound card on my computer, but my mainboard (ASUS Z97-K) is capable of 7.1 and I'm outputting the audio from my video card's HDMI. Again, connecting to Bose will display as 5.1 system, and even 7.1, but when connected to TV the only option is listed as stereo.
Thank you
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

minnattawat,
If the computer offers 5.1 as an option when connecting HDMI to the Bose system but not when connecting to the TV, then that is definitely at the heart of the issue. It is unclear whether this is a computer issue or whether it does this because the TV is refusing to accept surround sound.
In either case we cannot really assist with narrowing things down much further than this. The conflict is between two non-Bose devices and the solution could lay with either.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Hi Minnattawat,
I have the same setup as yours, which is a PC connected to the Bose Receiver and trying to passthrough 4K 60Hz. I've been in discussion with George with respect to potential limitation on the Bose Receiver HDMI1.4 output to the TV. HDMI1.4 have bandwidth limitation (10.2Gbps) and when handling 4K 60Hz signal hence potentially the drop out you experience on your end. It probably requires HDMI2 output from Bose Receiver (18Gbps) which has more bandwidth and able to fully handle the 4K 60Hz signal. And yes, this is not sending any HDCP 2.2 material yet and its purely just trying to get a consistent signal from PC through Bose Receiver to the TV i.e. desktop is open with nothing running.
Note that HDMI1.4 is only able to handle 8bit colour depth and if you are sending a 10 or 12bit colour depth from your GTX970, this would be unsupported. 
The workaround for you will be to use the DisplayPort on your GTX970 to output the video directly to the TV. Then leave the existing HDMI from your GTX970 to Bose Receiver as Audio only. In your Windows 10, set the playback device to BoseCinemate. You will also need to set Windows 10 display to Extended Display to make this work. Video is PC->TV directly while the Audio is PC->BoseCinemate. This way, you can still allow Bose to automatically determine the audio format e.g. DD or DTS when you set your video player to bitstream. If you are using VLC, check out how to get VLC to bitstream it through the Audio output setting.
Cheers,
Alvin

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

Thank you Alvin, I thought of this same approach -- video from DisplayPort and sound from HDMI. Could you share which cable you use or where did you get it from? I assume you will need DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable in order for 4K@60Hz setup to work. I could find one on eBay but unfortunately it does not ship to where I live (Thailand).
Thanks

Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Yep, you'll need a DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI2.0 cable for 4K 60Hz to work. The one which I have tested working and been using is Club3D CAC 1070/1170, which can be found from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54. I'm not sure if it ships to Thailand though. There are many of those out there which claims to do the job of converting DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI2.0 but so far the one from Club3D deliver its promise and they have good support too. My ultimate is still wanting to go through everything through my SoundTouch 130 receiver and I am still waiting for Bose for confirmation whether HDMI 1.4 output from Bose Receiver still able to do so. Good luck