Registered since

Dec 10, 2016

Bose SoundTouch 300 Soundbar kills wifi

Hey guys, weird one, my new bose SoundTouch 300 soundbar seems to affect the wifi of my house when plugged it. When unplugged, things go back to normal. Have tested several times. Interesting, the bose itself can play internet radio while other devices like my iPhone and Apple TV can no longer access the wifi. After the bose is unplugged, things go back to normal. I have fibre to the home internet and using an Apple airport express router. Anyone experience something similar?
27 REPLIES 27
Registered since

Dec 10, 2016

Re: Bose SoundTouch 300 Soundbar kills wifi

Note, that even with wifi disabled on the bose, the same problem occurs. My router is in a different room but the soundbar must be putting out some crazy interference. 
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

i have the same problem, did you find a fix?
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi squinly,

This is certainly an odd issue.  Sorry to hear about it, but let's get it figured out for you.  I have a few questions to start off:

I just want to confirm: even with with Wi-Fi disabled on the SoundTouch 300, your devices get disconnected from your network?

Your Airport Express, is it a newer one with 2.4 and 5ghz wireless?  If so, have you tried both wireless bands?

Is the Airport Express the only wireless router in your home?  No other extenders or routers provided by your ISP?

Thanks,

Brandon

Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 19, 2016

I fixed it for you guys.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2590236

*sigh* Why am I doing your job? 🙂

Eaglehawk writes...

I reckon try different channels first...(Wifi channels)

Squinly writes...

This fixed it. Thanks. I read in the manual the Bose uses 5150 to 5250mhz (I assume for it's additional speakers and subwoofer connection), I changed the Apple Airport's 5ghz network from Automatic to channel 149, which is well above 5250mhz (can wikipedia this stuff) and so far no issues. I'm surprised the Apple didn't adjust automatically but nothing is perfect.

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2017

Just picked up a SoundTouch 300 and it's killing all of my Apple products too.  Most importantly, it's rendering my AppleTV useless.  

I don't really undersatnd the fix though.  I rent a Verizon FiOS Router.  How am I supposed to change the channels?

Any help and guideance on the fix would be great.  

Would really hate to have to return the SoundBar.  

Thanks!

Participant
Registered since

Sep 20, 2017

I completely understand the issue that you are having, I have the smaller soundbar system but have had the problem since day one. I initially had an Apple Network, then switched to a Nighthawk (at the suggestion of Bose), and currently have an Orbi Network. In addition, Bose issued me new SoundTouch adapter to try and fix. Bose has been wonderful to work with but I still have issues with my WiFi only in one spot in my house, in the room that has the Soundbar system with the wireless subwoofer. I have 8 different zones on my SoundTouch Network, the only place that I have WiFi issues is near the Soundbar system. It is not a router location issue, the router has been move many times in an effort to resolve this issue. I would love to try a subwoofer that is wired and see if that fixes the issue, that is all that has not been tried.
Participant
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Hi,

I have exctactly the same problem, SoundTouch kills my wifi (Apple TC), unfortunatelly I cannot move my router to channel 149 because in Europe we have only 36-40-44-48, means 5170-5250MHz.

Is there any solution for this problem? Can we change the channel to the SoundTouch?

Thanks

Luca.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi lucads,

Sorry to hear about the issues.  Is the Soundbar interfering with just 5 GHz or also 2.4?

What is the distance from the router to the Soundbar?

Do you have the AM300 subwoofer as well?

Thanks,

Brandon

Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2017

Just bought soundtouch 300 and subwoofer, unable to use my wifi connection after plug in soundtouch 300, like everyone saying BOSE soundtouch with subwoofer is interupting WIFI signal, im gonna have to return this item.