ManuelP
Collaborator
Registered since

May 2, 2017

Bose SoundTouch 520 drops Tunein signal too often

Hi Bose, 

I have a Bose SoundTouch 520 in my living room and other SoundTouch speakers in the remaining rooms of the house. My Sountouch 520 is connected through a LAN cable with priority set up with my Linksys 3200ACM router. The problem is that the signal drops out, sometimes for a few seconds sometimes a minute. Sometimes when we use some other internet application in to hone, such as a call through WhatsApp, the signal could drop. 

Im not a network expert, but I have an high end router and most of my devices are connected by LAN cables (cat5e) and we have a 200Mbs connection so it could not be our bandwidth. We all know that software of Bose ST is not perfect, as signal drops randomly everywhere, also on my WiFi ST10/20’s. 

Is there anything we can do to improve this, or we have to wait a few more months/years before you update this through software with the potential that other stuff will not work after that? I still want to buy a sound bar for the second tv but I’m not sure if I want to keep investing in Bose for home audio. I have it for around three years now, and the software doesn’t seem to catch up with competion. It’s sad as I’m one of the biggest bose fans. Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Bose SoundTouch 520 drops Tunein signal too often

Hi ManuelP,

Thank you for the post.

Your SoundTouch systems will drop out even when connected via ethernet?  I just want to make sure I'm understanding the issue fully.

Do you have any QoS settings enabled on the router?  Can we try disabling WMM in the router settings and test the speakers?  I wonder if other devices are getting priority over the SoundTouch systems.

Do other sources aside from TuneIn drop out?  Have you tried multiple stations on TuneIn to see where the issue lies?

Let us know so we can get this resolved for you.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

ManuelP
Collaborator
Registered since

May 2, 2017

Hi Brandon,

Indeed even though it is connected to Ethernet, it is dropping out occasionally. Yes QOS is enabled and actually because of the drop outs on SoundTouch speakers, i can priority to the Bose speakers in my house as I hate music which stops, even if it’s occasionally. 

I have tried to switch it off but it keeps dropping out, with or without QOS/WMM enabled. I am using a Linksys WRT3200ACM router. Sorry to say but this happens on multiple Tunein stations as well as on Spotify (currently only have Apple Music, but did happen on Spotify before) Blue tooth seems to work properly. The problem I guess is maintaining the stream, Airplay 2 could be a solution I guess as it buffers a song, if I’m not mistaken. 

Thanks and regards,

Manuel

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Thanks for the info and troubleshooting steps Manuel.

Does signal drop on other devices outside of SoundTouch products?  Like computers or smartphones?

Do you have a music library on your computer that we can test?

Can you go into the SoundTouch App and go to Settings>About and check the software version of your ST520 system?  We've just released an update (19.0.5) and I'd like to see if you have gotten it yet.

Thanks,

Brandon

ManuelP
Collaborator
Registered since

May 2, 2017

Hi Brandon,

nomthe signal doesn’t really drop on other computers or devices. Most of the devices are connected through Ethernet anyways. But Philips lights and mobile devices always work perfectly. 

On my computer I don’t have a music library as I am using Apple Music only, that’s why I only use tunein. I have a few songs on my NAS though which you could test. I am still running 18.xx as it is actually a Cinemate with a ST adapter, but that shouldn’t make a difference I suppose? The problem has always been there so if it isn’t specifically addressed in 19.x then I guess it wouldn’t make a difference. 

ManuelP
Collaborator
Registered since

May 2, 2017

No solution for this problem?

Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Manuel,

My apologies for the delay in response.

Since the adapter is connected via ethernet and the audio is cutting out with both ethernet and Wi-Fi my recommendation would be to have the adapter replaced by your local support center.  If you select your country and go to the bottom of the page, you can click "Contact Us".  There should be a contact phone number there, and they will be able to assist with replacement.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best,

Brandon