Highlighted
sadloyalist
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 31, 2016

Bose SoundTouch is going to go the path of Blackberry

Moderator Note: This post has received a reply from one of our product managers. This post can be found HERE.

I have been on this site for to many months now waiting for updates and answers that never come. Updates too features that should be integrated quickly like every other competitor. I currently have 3 Sound Touch 20 systems and the Bose Sount Touch 130 in what should be an awesome home music experience but this setup has failed me miserably. Either Bose is using their brilliant  speaker engineers to also create the software platform or  Bose corporate is giving them instructions tieing the software engineers hands behind there back. No group of software developers could be this incompetent and if so no HR department could be so bad at finding replacements. At this point I don't give a damn if you hate Apple, and consider Tidal a competitor to whatever other company you want to partner with and think Amazon might be a competitor in the speaker market one day but your lack of integration is killing this brand. This is exactly how blackberry died. Falling back on your core and not moving with the time. Its 2016 and its all about the connected house and my Bose system doesn't play well with anything. Within the next week I will be putting all of my systems for sale on Amazon and buying replacement speakers by sonos unless I can get some serious answers to any of the things we have been asking for the past few years. I was so sad to learn today that Sonos is now creating full integration with Amazon Alexa and even has an app out for the xbox one. Whys is Sonos leading the charge in every category and the biggest feature you guys have added in the last two years is a clock. Please give me any possible clue as to what you guys are planning to bring. I you never plan on integrating something we should know. If you are planning working on it buy haven't started tell us to.  These are a few things I would like added and would like to know if this will ever happen. We as a community have been complaining and waiting for too long.
Apple Music-
Tidal Music-
Amazon Echoe Control
Xbox One-App
IFTTT Integration

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Re: Bose SoundTouch is going to go the path of Blackberry

Moderator note:  This response was provided by a member of our SoundTouch product team following an inquiry we made for updated information on behalf of the community. 
SADLoyalist, 
I share some of your frustration. The software team at Bose, of which I am a part, has some relatively new faces (I assure you we didn’t force the acoustics guys to code), and this team has been and will continue to work on improving the speed at which we deliver software releases (we’re moving to multiple releases a year for speaker updates, with more frequent app releases as needed). This is a much faster cadence than we’ve had in the past, but we are just starting to get into this groove. We also have some work to do on improving communications.
In way of an explanation, it is typical to keep hardware under wraps for as long as possible until launch day. This is not the case with Software. For too long we have received feedback in this forum and responded with a standard response “thank you for your suggestion, we will add it to our list for consideration…” We are putting an end to that. We will answer you honestly and as quickly as we can. That said, there will still be some things we aren’t allowed to talk about…we can all blame contracts, partnerships, exclusivity periods, etc….but when those types of questions arise we will tell you clearly that we can’t talk about it. I hope that’s fair.
Let’s talk about Apple for a second. There is a belief on our forums that we don’t like Apple, or that they don’t like us. I won’t address the reasons people feel this way, but I will point out that we do work with Apple, in many ways.  Currently, you can buy some of our products through Apple Retail.  Likewise, many of our shipping products contain Apple technology.  I can’t say much more than that, but we work together often and deliver benefits when we can and when priorities align.
With that said, we do hear you. You deserve answers. First, we really do appreciate that you have invested in our ecosystem, and we are focused on making it better…so, some answers to your questions:
Music Services in General - We follow the requests of customers closely. As a result, we maintain a prioritized list of music services to be added to the ecosystem. Some will obviously get done sooner than others, and some are, I assure you, as wanted by us as much as by you all. Although I’d like to share the prioritized list, there are a bunch of reasons why I can’t. I’m walking a line here, please bear with me. That said, we are working with some new music service integration tools that will hopefully make adding music services much faster. 
Apple Music - I know this is important to many, but beyond the facts stated above, I cannot comment further at this time.
Tidal Music - It is on the aforementioned list.
Amazon Echo Control – Can’t talk about this one, read into that what you will. 😉
Xbox One App – I would need to stop playing Star Wars Battlefront for more than 30 seconds to think this one through in more depth…but in all seriousness, we have heard this request from a small group of people. It’s a solid idea, we just need to do some additional work to investigate the effort level.
IFTTT Integration – This one is a bit more complicated. We’ve been looking closely at this. Overall, we believe that control of SoundTouch should be “open” so that any product or service can integrate, thus our API.  To that end, we’ve actually done a bunch of work with Samsung on SmartThings. That said, we definitely think it would be awesome to hook SoundTouch products into IFTTT. Right now, our API is only accessible via products on the local network – and IFTTT can only integrate with products that are accessible from the cloud. So, we’re actively exploring ways to improve our API offerings to enable integrations with cloud-centric services like IFTTT. No solid details on timing are available yet, but stay tuned.

BONUS INFO:
November release:
November will be an interesting month for SoundTouch.
We’re delivering Left/Right Stereo Pairing for SoundTouch 10’s. Finally.
We have made some minor changes to how Bluetooth works in order to improve the way SoundTouch works with some complementary products from our partners.  Keep an eye out for more details on this topic THIS WEEK. We will post info from the CEDIA show here on SoundTouch.com when available
We are also adding QPlay functionality for access to QQ Music, a great music service for our friends in China who haven’t been able to enjoy many of the other music services that we have integrated.
And finally, we’re delivering the first phase of a complete overhaul of the SoundTouch app. It provides MUCH faster access to the music you love. Also, frankly, it doesn’t look clunky and out of date anymore. We hope you’ll like it.
I know the lack of transparency has been frustrating, but bear with us. Some good changes are on the way. Oh…also adding Apple watch support early in the new year.
Thank you for taking the time to write.
All the best,
Mike Angelo
Product Line Manager, SoundTouch Software Group

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Pitulafresca
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 14, 2016

I also have the same feeling and I M very disappointed 
I connect via AirPlay. I start the song. The music takes up to 30 seconds before it plays on the soundtouch. Sometimes it just don't play anything even though the display shows it is connected via AirPlay.
cannot believe this can happen with Bose
Highlighted
dmb
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2015

Ha ha !! After the instant customer response you haven't had after ten days you're probably getting a sense of how much of a sh*t Bose give for your or any of our opinions ...
Sorry, I have extreme sympathy with your situation, having spent thousands on a sound I love and a company I have learnt to hate with a passion, for their lack of interest in their customers (I seriously believe they consider us an irritation and an inconvenience that they would much prefer to be without), and their sheer lack of any business acumen as far as software related products are concerned. This was fine back in the 60s when they just had to trundle a new speaker out of the lab every few years but Bose has no interest or desire to engage in a market where daily software builds, automated regression testing and releases is the norm. Yes they are a dinosaur, and I agree, with a comparable intellectual capacity-to-size ratio, they're likely to go the same way.
My guess - Google or Amazon buy them for the hardware engineers and the IP/patents, and fire the rest. I'd subsidise that ...
Highlighted
cloudDriver
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

So there is no Apple Music integration with SoundTouch. I don't know why I thought it came preloaded like Spotify or Pandora. I'm seriusly thinking of selling my $1,300 soundtouch 130 and getting the Sonos 3.1 because of it.
BOSE, when are you including Apple Music integration?
Highlighted
castalla
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

I recently started researching the Soundtouch 10 - impressed UNTIL I discovered it not only doesn't support Airplay BUT that upnp/dlna is also virtually unusable ....
I have a number of sound devices - all of which can operate with their native control systems (eg. Sonos, Pure, Pioneer, and Loewe) as well as offering industry standard DNLA or Airplay.  They are therefore extremely flexible.
The only industry standard which the Soundtouch supports seems to be Bluetooth - incredible short-sightedness on Bose's behalf!  Bluetooth as the way forward - poor wifi range, crap audio rendering - good grief!
I love the design but the versatility seems severely compromised.
Very disappointed ... the typical support responses which ignore the lack of airplay, and fail to address the failure to implement an industry standard dlna/upnp function don't inspire confidence either.
Until these issues are addressed I'm a no-buy .....
Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Moderator note:  This response was provided by a member of our SoundTouch product team following an inquiry we made for updated information on behalf of the community. 
SADLoyalist, 
I share some of your frustration. The software team at Bose, of which I am a part, has some relatively new faces (I assure you we didn’t force the acoustics guys to code), and this team has been and will continue to work on improving the speed at which we deliver software releases (we’re moving to multiple releases a year for speaker updates, with more frequent app releases as needed). This is a much faster cadence than we’ve had in the past, but we are just starting to get into this groove. We also have some work to do on improving communications.
In way of an explanation, it is typical to keep hardware under wraps for as long as possible until launch day. This is not the case with Software. For too long we have received feedback in this forum and responded with a standard response “thank you for your suggestion, we will add it to our list for consideration…” We are putting an end to that. We will answer you honestly and as quickly as we can. That said, there will still be some things we aren’t allowed to talk about…we can all blame contracts, partnerships, exclusivity periods, etc….but when those types of questions arise we will tell you clearly that we can’t talk about it. I hope that’s fair.
Let’s talk about Apple for a second. There is a belief on our forums that we don’t like Apple, or that they don’t like us. I won’t address the reasons people feel this way, but I will point out that we do work with Apple, in many ways.  Currently, you can buy some of our products through Apple Retail.  Likewise, many of our shipping products contain Apple technology.  I can’t say much more than that, but we work together often and deliver benefits when we can and when priorities align.
With that said, we do hear you. You deserve answers. First, we really do appreciate that you have invested in our ecosystem, and we are focused on making it better…so, some answers to your questions:
Music Services in General - We follow the requests of customers closely. As a result, we maintain a prioritized list of music services to be added to the ecosystem. Some will obviously get done sooner than others, and some are, I assure you, as wanted by us as much as by you all. Although I’d like to share the prioritized list, there are a bunch of reasons why I can’t. I’m walking a line here, please bear with me. That said, we are working with some new music service integration tools that will hopefully make adding music services much faster. 
Apple Music - I know this is important to many, but beyond the facts stated above, I cannot comment further at this time.
Tidal Music - It is on the aforementioned list.
Amazon Echo Control – Can’t talk about this one, read into that what you will. 😉
Xbox One App – I would need to stop playing Star Wars Battlefront for more than 30 seconds to think this one through in more depth…but in all seriousness, we have heard this request from a small group of people. It’s a solid idea, we just need to do some additional work to investigate the effort level.
IFTTT Integration – This one is a bit more complicated. We’ve been looking closely at this. Overall, we believe that control of SoundTouch should be “open” so that any product or service can integrate, thus our API.  To that end, we’ve actually done a bunch of work with Samsung on SmartThings. That said, we definitely think it would be awesome to hook SoundTouch products into IFTTT. Right now, our API is only accessible via products on the local network – and IFTTT can only integrate with products that are accessible from the cloud. So, we’re actively exploring ways to improve our API offerings to enable integrations with cloud-centric services like IFTTT. No solid details on timing are available yet, but stay tuned.

BONUS INFO:
November release:
November will be an interesting month for SoundTouch.
We’re delivering Left/Right Stereo Pairing for SoundTouch 10’s. Finally.
We have made some minor changes to how Bluetooth works in order to improve the way SoundTouch works with some complementary products from our partners.  Keep an eye out for more details on this topic THIS WEEK. We will post info from the CEDIA show here on SoundTouch.com when available
We are also adding QPlay functionality for access to QQ Music, a great music service for our friends in China who haven’t been able to enjoy many of the other music services that we have integrated.
And finally, we’re delivering the first phase of a complete overhaul of the SoundTouch app. It provides MUCH faster access to the music you love. Also, frankly, it doesn’t look clunky and out of date anymore. We hope you’ll like it.
I know the lack of transparency has been frustrating, but bear with us. Some good changes are on the way. Oh…also adding Apple watch support early in the new year.
Thank you for taking the time to write.
All the best,
Mike Angelo
Product Line Manager, SoundTouch Software Group

View solution in original post

Highlighted
castalla
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 10, 2016

Interesting, BUT - still no Airplay, still no DLNA certification .... just more marginal features.
Not convinced.
Highlighted
sadloyalist
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 31, 2016

Jason, Thank You. 
Though there isnt specifics for mentioned resosns I appreciate the feedback. Just seeing someone at Bose type the words Apple Music,Tidal and Amazon in a resposne gives me a little hope. I have been with Bose since the first sounddock was launched and hope you guys figure this out. There are at least two people selling Apple Watch Soundtouch conrolers on the App store and one of them has been there for awhile so when we cant get an answer on here it hurts. Please humble all of us and make this product worthy of the Bose name.
Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I see the BOSE Cinemate/Sound Touch 130 has been discontinued in favour of the new SoundTouch 300 sound bar and accessories.
That's  too bad. I quite like my Cinemate 130. The virtual rear sound projection is working very well in my HT/audio space. Will there at least be an update to the 4K handling for the 130 series?
Highlighted
polaris
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 22, 2016

Hi Jason,
I do want to simply listen to my music, stored into my smartphone (and not in a "NAS", which I do not have and don't want to), using the WIFI link and not the bluetooth. All other companies do this .... but BOSE !. When do you plan to implement this in your Android App ?
Expecting an answer
Best regards