Highlighted
Ultimate15
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 20, 2019

Bose Soundbar 500 setup

Hello! I have bought a Soundbar 500.

I have a Philips TV: 55PUS6703

With HDMI Arc on HDMI 1. I connected my soundbar in that input.

In HDMI 2 i have chromecast and in HDMI 3 the Xbox One X.

The first question is: Netflix use Dolby Digital Plus, but the soundbar only support Dolby Digital. For a 5.1 sound can i use the TV Netflix app or i must use the Xbox Netflix app? Because i read that the Xbox One will down mix the Dolby Digital Plus to standard DD AC3 5.1. The Netflix app on the TV can do it? I prefer the TV app.

The second question is: I have 4 different options for TV Digital out fomat: Stereo, Multichannel, Multichannel (bypass) and Dolby Digital Plus. Why if i set the Digital out fomat on Dolby Digital Plus i receive no sound? In another post Bose said that the DD+ get converted in Dolby Digital.

The last question is: Now with the Netflix TV App i don't hear any change between normal audio and 5.1 audio in films and tv movies. It's because the soundbar it's not enough for 5.1 sound and i need the two surround speakers? 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Re: Bose Soundbar 500 setup

Hello Ultimate15,

Thank you for posting and welcome.

If you prefer the TV version of the Netflix app, I would personally recommend sticking with what version you like the best.  As for audio differences between the different formats, the Soundbar 500 is only capable of simulated surround sound.

You may get more a surround sound feel by adding the Surround Speakers to create the ambient noise during movies and gaming. 

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support