Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 4, 2018

Bose Soundlink

I'm having trouble linking my Bose Soundlink to my computer which is in another room. It wants to works but then cancels out.

I keep getting a message on the Bluetooth browse device that says The divice does not have the necessary services. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

Re: Bose Soundlink

Author Accepted Answer selected by MRF

@MRF wrote:

I have thick pre Sheetrock era 1950's plaster walls getting a clean signal can be tough.

That's nothing.  Without doing any further research, I would give this kind of wall a -6 dBm loss (compared to elevator shaft, with cars, would be about -20 dBm and pre-fabricated concrete is about -12 dBm).

What I would like to know is what kind of wireless AP/router/modem you've got.  Make and model would be nice so I can determine if the issue is due to co-channel interference (if the WiFi adapter is connected only on 2.4 Ghz) or not.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello MRF! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty, but would like to help! 

With a few more details I can better assist you. 

• Are you connecting to a desktop PC or a laptop?
  • Your source device also needs to support the A2DP and AVCRP Bluetooth profiles, are you able to tell if yours does?
  • Are you able to tell me which speaker you have?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm connecting from a Macmini to the Bose SoundTouch wireless adapter that is plugged into my home theater. The Macmini is in my den and the SoundTouch is in the living room about 20-25 feet away.

Merrill

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello Merrill,

Thanks for the additional information. Have you tried to connect over the Wi-Fi network? If you are trying to get a Bluetooth connection you are likely very close to the maximum range for Bluetooth given that you likely have multiple walls in the way, which is probably why you are having difficulty connecting.

Best Regards,

Greg

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

@Greg_B wrote:

If you are trying to get a Bluetooth connection you are likely very close to the maximum range for Bluetooth given that you likely have multiple walls in the way, which is probably why you are having difficulty connecting.

BLE will work at a distance of 20-25 feet.  

Recommending WiFi, without knowing the channel utilization at the location, would only make things a lot worst.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for getting back to me. I've kind of figured it out. Since my MacMini is in adjacent room den to the living room and I have thick pre Sheetrock era 1950's plaster walls getting a clean signal can be tough. I've been streaming from my iPad that I bring into the living room and leave a few feet away from the Soundlink connected to my home theater. 

Any other recommendations would be fine.

Merrill

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 22, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by MRF

@MRF wrote:

I have thick pre Sheetrock era 1950's plaster walls getting a clean signal can be tough.

That's nothing.  Without doing any further research, I would give this kind of wall a -6 dBm loss (compared to elevator shaft, with cars, would be about -20 dBm and pre-fabricated concrete is about -12 dBm).

What I would like to know is what kind of wireless AP/router/modem you've got.  Make and model would be nice so I can determine if the issue is due to co-channel interference (if the WiFi adapter is connected only on 2.4 Ghz) or not.

View solution in original post