Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Bose Soundtouch and Amazon Alexa Skill - Request for Info from Mike_A_Bose VIP

@Mike_A_Bose - you commented a month ago now that the Amazon Alexa skill was coming "in a few weeks." See your exact words below, both copied verbatim and linked. Why haven't we seen any updates on this?

This is exactly why your customers are so upset with your company. You make comments like these, don't deliver and don't even provide a simple update. I want to love your products, but you (Bose) keep making it harder and harder to want to stick with.

"We view Alexa in the SoundTouch ecosystem as a phased approach. The first exposure you all will see is the Alexa skill which we expect to be available in the coming weeks. We are looking at how that skill will manifest in the app, and based on usage we will progress the Alexa capabilities for SoundTouch from there. There's a sticky post in the main page about the functionality we expect to deliver with the Skill intitially."
From - post on 6-9-2017 https://community.bose.com/t5/Ask-Bose-6-9-2017/Soundtouch-and-Alexa/m-p/55506#M205

42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Re: Bose Soundtouch and Amazon Alexa Skill - Request for Info from Mike_A_Bose VIP

I would also really like to get an answer to this. I just picked up an Amazon Echo + a second SoundTouch 10, and reading that this skill was out 'early 2017' was a big part of that.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Re: Bose Soundtouch and Amazon Alexa Skill - Request for Info from Mike_A_Bose VIP

Yes bose when will this be available, maybe we can finally have amazon music working on a soundtouch for the UK!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 13, 2017

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

I just saw the response from @Jason_G (admin) on https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Amazon-Alexa-Skill-Update-and-a-Note-About-Feature.... Although I'm dissappointed that the timeline has slipped again, I will say, as I've said before communication is key.

So, @Jason_G KUDOS TO YOU, (job well done - for those that may not know the English slang) for at least providing us an update on status. To your point in your own posting, we (customers) understand that priorities may change, and thats ok. But at least be willing to give us the update on progress that priorities changed and timeline shifted - just as you did. I can honestly say I at least appreciate hearing the update, rather than being in the dark on something you've been promising for months.

I'll also mention what I've seen in some other posts ... take this feedback back to your dev team ... you have a lot of users that would be willing to be Beta testers and maybe help your team identify bugs faster, before your planned launches, but also get some of the new tech in front of your customers to enjoy and play with.

We as customers know that Beta could mean doesn't work 100% (Apple, Microsoft, Google and many other companies due Beta testing), but its a great step forward in moving your dev times faster and getting new tech in front of your customers to excite them about your products. Your customers want to help you make this a great product. We don't want to have to spend even more money to move to another technology like Sonos. Help us be able to help you!

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Lt_Pete_Mitchell,

Thanks for the post.  It's really encouraging to me to see yourself (and many others) excited about the future of SoundTouch and even offering ecosystems for beta testing.  I'll send your posts up to the dev team, but they are very well aware at how passionate this community is about music, technology, and the opportunity to beta test (and also having flawlessly working systems, on top of everything).

I can't say if there will be a beta program, but all I can say for the time being is stay tuned, as there might be updates from them on the SoundTouch forum.

Thanks again for the thread, and for being so involved in the community.

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

I wish i could get so excited, but i do have to ask how much your product line manager actually knows about his product? given that just a few weeks ago he told us completely different. A feature that has been promised for over a year, but you have scaled back development to bow down to Apple, free bit of publicity too hard for you to refuse??

At least open up the API so we can develop an alexa skill ourselves...

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Amazon adds multiroom audio control to Echo devices

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/29/amazon-multiroom-audio-control-echo/

"The company [Amazon] said it's already working with Sonos, Bose, Sound United and Samsung on the upcoming capability, which would let users control connected Sonos speakers through their Echo Dot, for example."

Hopefully this means soon!

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 5, 2017

Amazon Press Release

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=RssLanding&cat=news&id=2297100

On second thought ... "These tools will be available early next year."

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 4, 2015

Yup.  I figured it was something.    This is kind of why vendors don't make hard promises because things on the development 

side change.  Essentially this API is going to make it so that you don't have the SoundTouch flavor of Echo support which differs 

from the Sonos and the Samsung and the Heos. 

Everyone should be on the same page.  Glad to see cooler heads prevailed and a global strategy of interoperation is coming.