Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ribird
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Bose Speakers are constantly disconnecting and not grouping together properly

We have 3 large rooms in our building that we use Bose Soundtouch speakers. Each room has roughly 4 speakers. We set up the groups to clearly distinguish what room they are in. Give it a day and we can't connect to all of the speakers in a group. One room can only connect to one speaker. This a daily occurrence. Today, one speaker added itself to another group and no we can un-add this speaker. Would having this many speakers in a close vicinity of each other be the issue? Or would having multiple routers on the same wifi signal be the issue? Side notes, the speakers are high up, so we can't just keep reconnecting the speakers, every, single, day. On a good day, when we have all speaker in the group, we can use multiple computers to access the same group without a problem. On bad days, we can have one computer connect to only one, while another can connect to only three of the four.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Jessie_O

Re: Bose Speakers are constantly disconnecting and not grouping together properly

Hi Ribird, thank you reaching out and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing, the issues could originate from what you have said. We normally recommend up to 8 SoundTouch speakers before you may start to encounter some issues with the connection. 

To get a better understanding of your set up, can you confirm which speakers you have?

Which device are you using to connect to the app?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to try and get this working?

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Ribird
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Re: Bose Speakers are constantly disconnecting and not grouping together properly

Between this reply and the original posting. An IT guy, that works with us, got all of the groups to be in the correct spots. Then this morning everything was good. Let's say around 2pm, all the speakers started to get jumbled again. The basement speaker set only has access to three of the four. A good chunk of the time they disappear from the groups and will not reconnect with a manual power on.

10 total speakers in three rooms. For more information on these rooms, six speakers near each other, two of those in another room that are usually fine. The other four usually get disconnected and only have access to one speaker on most days. The last four speakers are directly under the group of four, underneath a concrete floor. On a good day the basement group only has 2 speakers they can connect to. The two groups of four usually have the issues connecting to all of them. Yesterday was an outlier, where oen of the basement speakers showed upstairs. It is usually each group not being able to connect to those speakers.

Speakers: Soundtouch 20

Devices: Laptops and Desktops, depends on the group in charge of said speakers.

Yes we have, and is solved, but never lasts for more than a day.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi Ribird,

Thank you for the extra information, this is going to be useful for helping us get to the bottom of this. 

When one of the speakers is removed from the group and unavailable in the app, do the Wi-Fi indicators show it as still connected to the network (solid white), or do they change to an amber? 

If they stay connected and show a solid white, from how you have described this it does make me think there is something in the network that is causing communication issues with the app.

As you have mentioned having multiple routers on the Wi-Fi network, are these all using the same SSID/name and password? 

Also, are any of the routers dual-band routers at all with a 2.4GHz and 5GHz band? With dual bands, if they are both broadcasting the same SSID, you can sometimes see the speakers and device running the app connected to different bands and having trouble communicating. I would recommend having the 2 bands named differently to make sure this doesn't happen.

I'm going to post our list of recommended router settings below for SoundTouch speakers. If you feel comfortable setting this yourself, or you could use your IT guy to do so you can do this yourself. However, if you would like assistance from us get in touch with your local support team and they will be able to go through this with you as well. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Recommended router settings for SoundTouch™ compatibility

UPnP - Enable

Multicast - Enable

IGMP - Enable

Wireless Isolation - Disable

IGMP Proxy - Disable

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N

Stealth mode - Disable

MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list

WPS - Disable

Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.

Security type WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.

WMM – Disable.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Ribird
Participant
Registered since

Mar 16, 2020

Yes, the speakers continue to show the white wifi indicator.

Our IT messed with some settings on the speakers for connecting onto the network. We can all see most of the speakers on the network, but not all of the speakers on some of the devices connecting. If we can keep the speakers on the network like they are, we should be better off than we were before. Time will tell.

Another issue it might be is the windows app has issues when starting up. Currently, I can see the four speakers I should be seeing. By tomorrow morning, I will most likely see only two or three of the four speakers. I could not tell you if they aren't showing up properly in the app or on the network, atm.