Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 23, 2016

Bose disconnects from wifi frequently.

My Bose Soundtouch 10 is connected to my home wifi network but frequently disconnects on its own. Sometimes, it reconnects on its own but not always. Hints? Thank you.
130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Sep 2, 2014

Re: Bose disconnects from wifi frequently.

Hi there.  There are many reasons why the system mayb be disconnecting from your network but one of the most common is due to wireless range or interference.  
You can check in the app to see how strong the wireless signal reaching the system is by going to Explore > Settings > About and selecting the system.  Try relocating it temporarily as close to your router as possible and see if it continues to disconnect.  If not, we may need to look at solutions for improving your Wi-Fi signal.  
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 2, 2016

I have the same problem with my Soundtouch 20.  I have talked to support twice today and i get it to work for about 10 minutes and then it stops playing.  The power light is on, i can control the volume from the app but it doesn't play
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi reals8, 
Many apologies that you are still experiencing this. Can you elaborate a little further as to how this issue started manifesting? Also, what was tried with support? 
Does the system appear to be dropping off the network? Are you losing the system in the SoundTouch app (getting the dotted outline)?  
What is the make and model of your router? Have you tried to unplug it for 30 seconds to see if that helps?
Thank you 
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Sep 22, 2016

I am having the same problem.  I have 2 soundtouch 30s, a wave radio and a lifestyle system.  I also have an SA amplifier hooked up to outdoor speakers.  If I don't use the system for a couple of days, my Soundtouch APP on my Iphone cannot find the systems.  OR sometimes only a couple of the boxes connect but not all.  I have a COMCAST modem which is directly next to the Lifestyle system so I don't think it is a range issue.  any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

patmorsecpa,
From your description it sounds as though you may simply be having trouble detecting the speakers in the app rather than having the speakers disconnect from the network.

1. Do your Soundtouch products still show a solid white Wi-Fi LED even when they do not show up in the app? 
  2. Do the products still play music normally when using the 6 preset buttons? (on top of the ST 30 models or on the remote for the lifestyle system) 
  3. Next time one of your systems does not appear, try unplugging power to that system for 30 seconds before reconnecting. Does this solve the issue temporarily?

Let us know. 
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

George - 
I am having this exact issue.
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes - it solves it temporarily!
What do I do?
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I have similar problem. Just bought the system last weekend. I have the 10s and was planning to add more to it if it performed as hoped. What I am experiencing is the slave unit dropping out then coming back a few seconds later. It is pretty frequent. What's a real bummer is, it is right near where we sit most of the time so it is quite jarring. We are using an echo dot connected via Bluetooth most of the time.  I have the speaker that drops,literally about 12" from the wireless router. Says connection is "fair". The master across the room says "good". Keep in mind, across the room is a whopping 17' or so. 
The other strange thing is it doesn't stay in the play everywhere mode if the system goes to sleep. It should be in a LTP mode so when the system wakes up it maintains its last state. The whole reason I got this system (echo and two Bose) was for sake of ease for my wife and kids that aren't going to pull out a phone to communicate with the system. I want them to be able to get up in the morning and ask Alexa to play the morning play list while pouring their coffee and they are off to the races of the morning routine. 
Right now they need to ask Alexa to reconnect Bluetooth (gets dropped over night) ask for their playlist and then ask me to connect the play everywhere. Kind of a bummer. So, I often come in and they are listening from just the dot speaker which should make anybody at Bose  cringe. 
System should stay connected via Bluetooth or at least immediately reconnect once echo starts playing, and should stay in whatever mode it was in last (play everywhere or otherwise).  
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

My Bose Wave Soundtouch also has a terrible time with WiFi.  I can listen to about 10 seconds of a streaming audio source before it stops and has to resync.  This makes it unbearable for listening to streaming audio.  In the same location I can stream video to a tablet on the same network.  The tablet sees a good WiFi signal but the Bose reports the signal strength as "poor".  Is there a not very good antenna in the Bose or something wrong with this unit?

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2016

I just bought the Bose 10 to act as my Echo Dot speaker.  I'm happy with the sound - when it's connectred!  Trouble is the Dot and the 10 become disconnected over a period of inactivity (like overnite).  I then have to reset everything to restore connection.  There must be a fix!