Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2016

Re: Bose disconnects from wifi frequently.

Think I'm having a similar problem. I have a portable and a 20. They were both installed and working fine. Next time I try, the app cannot find them. They both have a strong wi-fi connection and the pre-sets all work. If I power cycle the Talk-Talk router, there's a chance it will all work again....for a while.   I've tried re-naming the 5g signal in the router settings but if anything it's probably worse. Bose products have a magnificent sound,  we pay for that. This apparently common issue is unacceptable and needs a solution. 
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 6, 2016

It's not disconnecting from the WiFi its the bluetooth connectivity that is the problem. If I connect the Bose to WIFI and play an internet radio station it plays fine.

I have a Soundtouch 20 and I have connected my Echo Dot to it via Bluetooth. This connectivity is awful. It does not matter where in the room the echo dotis, it could be right next to it and it will still constantly disconnect.

If you use an audio jack cable it works fine. So it is definetly the bluetooth connectivity that is the problem.

Are Bose going to release the Amazon Echo Skill to connect to Alexa without constant disconnection any time soon?

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2016

I had the same problem, fixed it by enabling QOS (traffic manager) in my router setup and putting
"media streaming" as top priority in the list. Been working fine for a month now.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2015

So after months of trouble shooting, resetting wifi settings, resseting soundtouch devices, etc, etc I think I have worked out what causes my Soundtouch app to suddenly stop seeing my device.

This is my network setup:

1x Dual Band Wifi Router that has DHCP on and serves up wired and wireless network addresses

1x Single Band Wifi Router set up in AP mode.  DHCP off, Wireless on - same SSID as the main router but different channel.

Everything in my house works perfectly fine with this setp except for Sountouch.  I have three Soundtouch devices - 2 are wirelessly connected and 1 is conntected by Ethernet.  All of them were set up with the 2 router in AP mode switched OFF.

If I use Spotify Connect to drive streaming of music to any Soundtouch device from any device running soundtouch all is OK.

If I use the Soundtouch app to drive streaming of music to any Soundtouch device it will only work (ie. actually detect my Soundtouch devices) If I am connected to the main Wifi router (not the 2nd AP).

This is totally unacceptable.  It's the only system I have a problem with.  I can connect to my printer and chromecast and NAS devices without a hitch no matter where I am.  But Soundtouch wants to be particular.

Given it all works well with Spotify I can only assume this "feature" has something to do with the ability to "play anywhere" or play to multiple devices.  But I don't really know and can't imagine why it would make any difference.

Bose, I'd love to hear from you.  I like the new app, BTW.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

I have the same problem.  I just bought a Wave SoundTouch music system series IV.  I have a Cisco Aironet 1142 in the same room as the radio (10 feet from the radio).  I can stream 50 Mbps to a computer in the same room.  The Cisco is part of a large network in the complex where I live.  I do not have direct access to the Cisco but the network administrator can monitor the MAC address of the Bose.

The Bose will be playing internet music.  It will suddenly switch from the 2.4 GHz band to the 5 GHz band (or the other way).  Sometimes there is a short (one minute) pause and sometimes there is a 15 minute pause before the radio starts playing again.  Some days it switches every 30 minutes.  At other times it may work for a couple of hours.  I have noted the times when it fails and checked with the network administrator.  In each case the Bose switched bands at the time of the failure.  It doesn't matter if the computers in the room are powered on or not.  There are also short (5 second) pauses that seem to be some sort of buffering.  The Bose is not switching bands at that time.  The computers are running fine at the same time that the Bose is having problems.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 20, 2015

Hi Dax,
The traffic manager in my router was set correctly (priority to 1-SoundTouch speaker 2-iTunes 3-my pc). It's a Cisco 49366 router (Linksys smart wi-fi). I still experience frequent interruptions in listening internet radio or playlists from iTunes from Windows 10 pc. I have a SoundTouch 30 second generation (wi-fi).

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 19, 2016

Hi moff,

Don't know much about routers, mine is an asus RT-AC3200, it's a tri band and i also have a repeater in the basement, just been experiencing with it,

trial and error. I have a wave soundtouch in the basement and a soundtouch 10 upstairs where the router is. At first i assigned all bands on both machines
the same SSID name, and Asus has a setting called smart connect which was already enabled in the wireless settings, i figured let it decide what connects on what band. Don't even know if that's what smart connect is for.. Everything using wifi in the house started taking a long time to connect and when they
finally did they would cut off often. So i turned the smart connect off, assigned different SSID names to all bands,(5 in all with the repeater) and then
reconnected all my wifi on specific bands. Both soundtouch are on the 5ghz 1 and 2 bands and they worked fine but was still experiencing occasional cut offs
that would last from 5 to 30 seconds. Turning QOS on fixed it, permanently i hope.

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 31, 2016

I have the same problem. The speaker is a week old. I am unimpressed with this issue.

I am even more unimpressed at the lack of help from Bose. So many people commmenting about this problem... Where are you bose? You have a faulty product.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 1, 2015

I have spent a bit more time on this issue and I seem to have a relatively stable system now.   I have the occasional issue where the Soundtouch app cannot find a speaker but this is becoming less of an issue. 

This is what I have done:

• On the main Wi-Fi router, set the 2.4Ghz channel to 1.
  • On the router in AP mode, set the 2.4Ghz channel to 6.
  • On the router in AP mode, ensure UPNP is ON (mine was off).

In Australia apparently the three best Wi-Fi channels are 1, 6 and then 11.  I adjusted my settings accordingly.   The main Wi-Fi router also has a 5Ghz wifi radio. This has the same SSID as the 2.4Ghz radio but is on a different channel altogether. 

So far,  running in this configuration for about a week seems to have given me the best performance since I started using Soundtouch.  Obviously I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes.  It's still pretty bad that the system requires such effort to get it to operate properly. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 25, 2016

I have the same issue, and yes, it's my app that is disconnecting.  The Soundtouch 300 stays connected to the wifi without a problem.  If I go through the connection procedure all over again - put the speaker in wifi connection mode, connect my iPhone to the Bose speaker in my Wifi settings, go back to the app and sign into my home wifi network - it fixes the problem but only temporarily.  I've tried deleting and then redownloading the app but it did not solve the problem.