Highlighted
loicle
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Bose soundtouch 300 , Panasonic EZ 950 and Netflix

Hello everyone! 

I've been the owner of a bose soundtouch 300 for a year now , and i just bought the VI300 one week ago , and i love it, but there is just a small detail i would like you to explain to me.

I know the soundbar doesn't decode Netflix's 5.1 DD+, that i got it, but i read a lot that the soundbar should normaly be able to decode the 5.1 DD in the DD+ source. it actualy work , but not properly.

Let me explain 

I own a PS4 slim (max quality= 1080p) with Netflix app on it. there, no problem at all, the sound work great, in 5.1, BUT , i only have a max quality of 1080p. and in the SPDIF setup of my TV, i can chosse between Automatic, Bitstream and PCM. when i chose Automatic, i can get 5.1, and it work fine, when i chose Bitstream , i get 5.1 to and it work fine, and if i choose PCM , i Only get Stereo.so i select automatic SPDIF 

On the other hand, i have the Netflix app on my panasonic 55EZ950

There, i have the max quality to 4K. 

In the SPDIF selection of my tv , when the app is open, i can only choose between automatic , or PCM. when i choose PCM , i only can choose stereo sound. And when i select automatic, i can acces the 5.1 sound, i can watch it in 4K, BUT , there is a issue, the sound is working, it's surround, but sometime during the movie or the show, the sound stop for a tiny amount of time (really less than a second, and every 4/5 minuts) wich is very annoying. 

The soundbar is conected Via ARC HDMI to my panasonic , and the Ps4 is connected to the TV via HDMI to, 

I've read poeple saying netflix work with their bar, some poeple saying it doesn't , i would just like to know if it is possible for me to watch Netflix In 4K and in 5.1.

I already thank you for your answer !

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Bose soundtouch 300 , Panasonic EZ 950 and Netflix

Hi loicle,

Thanks for the post!

Are you able to try an optical audio connection from the TV to the back of the soundbar?  Optical supports standard Dolby Digital, and this may eliminate the dropping audio issue you're having.

Give this a shot if possible, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Community Support

loicle
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

thank you for your answer, i'm going to try this tomorrow!

Do i leave the HDMI connected between the TV and the soundbar while connecting the Optical ? or just the optical alone ?

Hi again,

I would unplug the HDMI, just in case ARC stays active when Optical is plugged in.

Best,

Brandon

loicle
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Hello again Brandon

I just tries the soondbar with the hdmi unpluged and with the optical cable, and the problèmes still there .
The sound is great it' s 5.1 , but the sound cut and go back on 2/3 times every 10 minuts in the mobile on the netflix app of my TV.
Thank you for your answer, do you have any other advice ?
loicle
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Well I must be honest. , i've been looking for shows in 4K on the netlif app of the panasonic for a litlle bit more than an hour now, and actualy , while there're still cutting in the sound with the optical cable, it is a lot less than with the HDMI.
Hdmi was a cut every 5/6 minuts of the video , here is every 15/20 minuts , and only one and it then stop. 

Still , the cut is still there, so i'm going to see if it change or not 

Community Manager

Hi loicle,

Thanks for the update!  Does this only happen on 4K streams from Netflix, or does this also occur in 1080p streams as well?  I'm curious to see if it could be a potential bandwidth issue and would recommend rebooting the TV and router by disconnecting power for 30 seconds.  If possible, we could try an ethernet connection to the TV if it's currently on Wi-Fi.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

loicle
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 12, 2018

Hi Tony

Thank you for the answer! 

The problem also happen on 1080P streams, but only on the Panasonic app, i have no sounds problem with the PS4 app.

I rebooted the TV and the router , and the sound still crash. 

For what i've noticed, when i launch a movie, i can watch it for 30 minuts without any issues, and then , the sound start to crash every 3 minuts for the rest of the stream.

My TV is already connected with Ethernet. 

The only thing I find wierd is that when i'm on the PS4 , Or on my android Box, or anithing alse, i can choose between 3 differents types of SPDIF options ( Automatic, Bitstream and PCM), and if i open the Netflix app on the TV, i can only choose between 2 (Automatic and PCM), and now that i connected the SOundbar with Optical, and i select PCM, i don't get any sound from the tv , even if i select Stereo sound on Netflix. 

Community Manager

Hi loicle,

Thanks for the update!  This is certainly odd and it may be an issue with compatibility with this app.  I have a similar setup at home with a different TV, but do not get these drop outs.  Some TVs do actually limit their output to 2.0 and you would want to check with the manufacturer if that's the case with this model.

Warm Regards,

Tony A