Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Bose soundtouch Alexa skill does not play preset Tunein radio

Hi,

Lately I noticed that Alexa does not play my preset 1 on my 3 soundtouch speakers. Both my ST20 show the preset symbol on the display, my Bose solo 5 which is connected to the wireless link adapter stays standby. What I do as a workaround is pushing my preset 2 button which is a mapped network share and the my Boso solo 5 gets active and I hear music through all my 3 speakers. If I then push my preset 1 button I hear my favourite radio channel. Weired isn't it ? 

But it get weirder, all my 6 presets are radio chanels with exception of number 2 ( network share ) if Alexa activates the Bose soudtouch skill and the above situation occurs and I push another radio preset ( all tunein ) no playback will start. Only the manual playback off another source seems to do the trick.

What also is funny is that the Bose skill eachtime uses my kitchen speaker as the Main speaker in the group, I use the different volumes to optimize the " multiroom "  volume so I hear all speaker from my position. If I shutdown all speakers and I open my Solo 5 ( soundtouch wireless link adapter connected to it ) and then play on all speakers the volumes from each speaker differs form the setting the Bose soundtouch skill uses.

I noticed these abnormalities between Alexa and the Bose Soundtouch a view times but I don't seem to find the correct support line for these problems, it's not only Amazon or Bose. Is there any community or forum that I don't know of.

Does anyone have advice ?

regards,

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: Bose soundtouch Alexa skill does not play preset Tunein radio

Author Accepted Answer selected by Rob Vanderbroeck

Hey Rob, 

This is the manner in which SoundTouch groupings are made, and should be used for configuration. You stated in your initial post that sometimes Kitchen was identified as the master speaker in the group, so to modifiy this, the above is recommended. 

Grouping is a possibility in the Alexa app, however this is not compatible with Bose speakers. This could be a restriction set by Amazon to prevent speakers from playing alongside their own Amazon Echo devices in groups. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Vicky_W

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for reaching out, that certainly is a strange issue you are having. If you would like to talk this through with someone, please call your local support team. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. Even though the issue is with the Alexa skill as well as the Bose products a team member at Bose would be more than happy to talk this through with you. 

Otherwise, we can look to help here. To start with can you please try resetting the ST20, to do this push and hold the AUX button on the top of the system for 15 seconds until the display goes blank, then release the button and try and choose the preset again?

Can I also please ask, when saying Alex, ask Bose to play preset 2 does it work? If so do all of the devices play the music? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Bose Community Support 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi Vicky

I have reset both ST 20's multiple times and also did this with the WLA.

If I say Alexa ask bose to play preset 2 it always works, sometimes I try another Tunein presets and often it works. All devices start playing music.

If the problem however occurs I noticed that the Solo 5 (WLA ) still is in stand by modus, and when I change the preset manually or give Alexa a new voice command the playback starts and the Solo 5 ( WLA ) becomes active.

Regards,

Rob

@Vicky_W wrote:

Hi Rob, 

Thanks for reaching out, that certainly is a strange issue you are having. If you would like to talk this through with someone, please call your local support team. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. Even though the issue is with the Alexa skill as well as the Bose products a team member at Bose would be more than happy to talk this through with you. 

Otherwise, we can look to help here. To start with can you please try resetting the ST20, to do this push and hold the AUX button on the top of the system for 15 seconds until the display goes blank, then release the button and try and choose the preset again?

Can I also please ask, when saying Alex, ask Bose to play preset 2 does it work? If so do all of the devices play the music? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Bose Community Support 

Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Helllo Rob, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. I would recommend that you try removing the Bose skill in the Alexa app, then re-add the skill again; once you have done this please then remove the devices from the skill then re-add them back. Could you clarify what you mean by the Solo becomes active? Does it turn on? Does audio start playing? Also what have you named the speaker as sometimes when there are long name odd names used it can be difficult for Alexa to decipher.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hi Zoe,

What I mean with Solo becomes active I mean that the WLA which is connected to the Bose Solo 5 soundbar turns on from standby.

This morning I asked Alexa to play preset 3 and Alexa had the same problem as with preset 1

Alexa tells me that I have three devices Kitchen, Front and Soundbar or all devices ( names are short enough and not odd ) I tell Alexa to play on all devices , both the ST20 turn on and show the Tunein station ( radio 10 ) and no playback starts. I notice that the LED of the Bose Solo 5 soundbars stays yellow ( stand by ) .

I push the preset 2 button on my ST20 ( kitchen ) the Bose app uses this speaker as the main group speaker ( kitchengroup ) and playback starts on both ST20's and the SOLO 5 becomes active and plays music.

It seems that Tunein presets cannot awake the wireless soundtouch adapter from it's standby.

I just did some tests 

I ask Alexa ask Bose to play preset 1:

would you like to play preset 1 on kitchen, front, soundbar or all speakers 

I answer all speakers ( that's why I have a multiroom speaker system ) 

=====================================

I also can ask Alexa to open the Bose Soundtouch control and Alexa asks me How can I help

I say play preset 1 and Alexa asks me :

please pick one from kitchen front, soundbar or all speakers 

sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, strange but I think that the Bose soundtouch control which is implemented in the skill has problem recognizing the speakers and not alexa.

The only thing I know for sure is that I have more commands when I open the Bose Soundtouch control than that I ask Alexa to do things directly.

What would help is al list of all commands that can be used by Alexa directly or by using the Bose Soundtouch control opened by Alexa because there is a difference between them.

Greetings 

Rob

@Zoe_C wrote:

Helllo Rob, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. I would recommend that you try removing the Bose skill in the Alexa app, then re-add the skill again; once you have done this please then remove the devices from the skill then re-add them back. Could you clarify what you mean by the Solo becomes active? Does it turn on? Does audio start playing? Also what have you named the speaker as sometimes when there are long name odd names used it can be difficult for Alexa to decipher.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C

Zoe_C
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 26, 2019

Hello Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me, I would recommend that you try to add the speaker groups manually through the SoundTouch app as this should remedy the issue with the groups, you will also need to make sure that you turn the Soundbar on each time before commands as the Soundbar does not have a connection that will receive data for it to know to wake up. I am also curious as to how you have the wireless link adapter connected? 

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C 

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

@Zoe_C wrote:

Hello Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me, I would recommend that you try to add the speaker groups manually through the SoundTouch app as this should remedy the issue with the groups, you will also need to make sure that you turn the Soundbar on each time before commands as the Soundbar does not have a connection that will receive data for it to know to wake up. I am also curious as to how you have the wireless link adapter connected? 

Kindest regards,

Zoe_C 

Hello Zoe_C

I connected the WLA with the included SPDIF ( audio out ) to the Bose Solo 5 ( optical IN ). Please explain how I can add the group manually with the app. I know how to play with one of the speakers and add the other speakers individually to the group.

Regards,

Rob

Jeff_G

Hey Rob, 

This link will show you how to make and modify groups on the SoundTouch application. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

Rob Vanderbroeck
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 22, 2018

Hey Jeff, that is the normal way to play content using the app. This is not a solution, it is a recognition of a problem that Bose and  Amazon can not fix. There is need for a Bose soundtouch skill forum. 

Jeff_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by Rob Vanderbroeck

Hey Rob, 

This is the manner in which SoundTouch groupings are made, and should be used for configuration. You stated in your initial post that sometimes Kitchen was identified as the master speaker in the group, so to modifiy this, the above is recommended. 

Grouping is a possibility in the Alexa app, however this is not compatible with Bose speakers. This could be a restriction set by Amazon to prevent speakers from playing alongside their own Amazon Echo devices in groups. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

View solution in original post