Highlighted
hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Can I connect my iMac to my speakers using wifi rather than bluetooth?

I am in the process of setting up a Wave radio with (1) a Soundtouch speaker (2) an older model Bose radio using a Soundtouch wireless link device, and (3) an iMac. I do NOT want to use bluetooth to link these devices. Can they all be linked using wifi, and controlled using the Bose SoundTouch app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CentralBK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Re: Can I connect my iMac to my speakers using wifi rather than bluetooth?

Author Accepted Answer selected by hdow

Hi Harmon,

If I understand the user manual of the Wave correctly you will not be able to stream FM Radio or CD over the Soundtouch system. It only supports streaming service, your local music library or a bluetooth source.

With Soundtouch you should be able to group your wave and the ST10 as "one" and play stuff to them synchronized.

As Soundtouch streams radio over internet, it should not be a problem to play your favorite stations via WiFi on your speakers, even grouped (or if wanted two different stations in two rooms).

For bluetooth, that is very handy if you want to stream music or anything else that is not supportet by Bose (for example Apple Music) over your Soundtouch system.

As I don't have a Link I don't know if that one acts like a Soundtouch speaker ....

Cheers,

Central

9 REPLIES 9
CentralBK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Hi Harmon,

As far as I know the Wave Radios do not support any Network or WiFi, so my guess is the Wave will not work in your configuration. 

Maybe you can give us the Modells of the Bose devices you want to use?

Regards,

Central

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Thanks, Central -

My Wave model is the latest one, incorporating SoundTouch control. My old Bose radio doesn't, although I hope to connect it in using the Soundtouch Wireless Link. 

It seems like whenever I post a question somewhere, my mind just goes into overdrive to try to solve it. I think what I have figured out is as follows:

The iMac, my iPhone/iPad, & the Bose Wave can all be linked over wifi.

The radio & cd functions on the Wave can only be controled directly on the Wave or using the Wave remote control device. It is not clear to me yet whether I can broadcast the radio/cd functions to other SoundTouch speakers once I have them playing on the Wave. 

The iMac & iPhone/iPad will allow me to broadcast over wifi to the Wave using SoundTouch. If the Wave has been on radio/cd it will switch to the wifi broadcast from the iMac/iPhone, but as implied above, it can't switch back. 

I'm still a little hazy on how Bluetooth plays into this, but I do have my iPhone linked via Bluetooth as well. 

Now to figure out how to integrate my SoundTouch 10, and my old Bose radio using the SoundTouch Wireless Link (fingers crossed).

Harmon

CentralBK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by hdow

Hi Harmon,

If I understand the user manual of the Wave correctly you will not be able to stream FM Radio or CD over the Soundtouch system. It only supports streaming service, your local music library or a bluetooth source.

With Soundtouch you should be able to group your wave and the ST10 as "one" and play stuff to them synchronized.

As Soundtouch streams radio over internet, it should not be a problem to play your favorite stations via WiFi on your speakers, even grouped (or if wanted two different stations in two rooms).

For bluetooth, that is very handy if you want to stream music or anything else that is not supportet by Bose (for example Apple Music) over your Soundtouch system.

As I don't have a Link I don't know if that one acts like a Soundtouch speaker ....

Cheers,

Central

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Bose's own radio won't broadcast to Bose's own wireless speakers. If that is true - and it appears to be - it is beyond stupid. 

Certainly a deal-killer for me. The ability to link a radio/CD player in the dining room with a speaker in the kitchen is essential to my setup. I have it right now, with an old style Bose radio/CD player and a weird Sony RF wireless speaker that isn't made anymore. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

CentralBK wrote:  "If I understand the user manual of the Wave correctly you will not be able to stream FM Radio or CD over the Soundtouch system. It only supports streaming service, your local music library or a bluetooth source."

There's a discussion about this in the 2016 archives, verifying your understanding. Basically, Bose advertising is misleading, because it implies that the radio & CD functions can be broadcast to the speakers. Apparently, some sales people have assured buyers that this can be done. 

And it is just plain stupid. Integration of the radio/CD functions into the wireless speaker system would sell more product. As it stands, I am going to have to figure out how to link the Wave to a non-Bose wireless speaker and if I can, I will be buying a non-Bose product, not because I particularly want to, but because the Bose product isn't compatible with it's own speaker system.

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

And, of course, if I can't, my entire Bose purchase gets returned, and I wind up joining a different ecosystem, or just patching my current mixed audio system with some other non-Bose wifi speakers. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Okay, I figured out a workaround to make all my Soundtouch speakers play radio stations & physical cds broadcast from my new Bose Wave. It requires two or more Soundtouch speakers to work.

First, you have to hard connect speaker number one to the Wave with using the headphone output on the Wave and the AUX input on the speaker. Then you go into the Soundtouch app and starting with speaker one, and adding the additional speakers you want to use. (Note that the Wave is NOT part of the grouping.) Finally, on all speakers, select Aux for playing. 

With this setup, I was able to play anything I wanted from any source on the radio or the app. In addition, both the radio presets and the Soundtouch presets could be handled from the Wave's physical remote control, as well as the sound level for all grouped speakers - that is, by controling the Wave's volume (which you can't hear) you control the volume on the speakers. (You could also use the separate speaker remotes, or the app, to control volume levels, but if you do that, you will find that when you change the music source, you might get blasted by sound.)

Downsides:

1. you have to purchase one more speaker than you really should have to buy. 

2. you lose the speakers on the Wave, which sound better than the Soundtouch 10 speaker I have plugged into the Wave. 

3. if you turn off speaker one (the hardwired speaker) you loose the grouping. 

4. if you want to hear the actual Wave speakers, you have to unplugg the cable from the back of the Wave. 

CentralBK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Nice workaround 🙂

And yes, plain stupid from Bose to cripple the new Wave in that way. It seems like they added the "Soundtouch" part just before producing a new batch. You can play from a NAS, so why not from a CD?

I, for myself, stopped expanding my Soundtouch system. Already spent enough into a system with new faults with every major update.

Since V17, I as well, have massive problems finding my speakers (all on 5 GHz WiFi). On our Mac's it takes up to a minute (only 3 speakers), on the iOS devices it took 10 minutes this morning until all speakers were visible. And of course, nothing changed in our setup, RSSI is good & great.

I wanted to buy four more ST20 but that has to wait until Bose sorts their software problems.

Happy Christmas

Central

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I've been engaged in a weeklong battle with Apple & Bose - or more precisely, I'm a victim of their unwillingness to cooperate, digitally. But after reading lots of posts & working with their suggestions, I've managed to get all my devices up & running, adn so far the app is recognizing everything. My devices, to date, are one Bose Wave radio IV, one Soundtouch 10, two Soundtouch links, and a Portable Series II 20. I hope to add another Series II 20 in a few days, when it arrives. The Links are attached to my stereo system (with a 5 cd player) and my television. I have an iphone 8 Plus, an iPad Pro 10 inch, a 2013 iMac, and my wife has an iPhone 8. All are running the latest OS. (My wife also has a MacBook Air, but I've kept it out of the game.)

Here is some of what I think I've learned this week:

(1) Apple & Bose don't play well together. From what I've been reading, people running non-Apple devices have fewer problems than people running Apple devices. Further, it appears that the Bose app & devices need to all be on the same network with the same GHz - evidently, Apple devices think that the 2.4 & the 5 GHz networks are different flavors of the same network, but Bose devices beg to differ. 

(2) I have an Airport Extreme, with two Airport Expresses. They run 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz networks. When the dust settled on my mucking about with them, I wound up setting them all to "bridge mode" under the network tab in Airport Utility. It's possible that using "bridge" mode makes some difference in how the Bose app & devices communicate. At any rate, it seems to work now & I don't intend to change it unless things stop working. 

(3) Everything (except my wife's MacBook) is on the 5 GHz network. Possibly the 5 GHz network is not as crowded as the 2.4 ( I live in a dense part of Chicago) so that the Bose connections work better on that network. At one point, I had everything on the 2.4 network & things didn't work so well, although it was a bit better than when I had a mix of devices running, some on 2.4 and some on 5. Evidently Bose's software doesn't like "mesh" networks, & perhaps it's the same for mixed networks. But it appears that it's important that all the Bose devices, & the device with the app, are on the same GHz network. 

(4) I found it impossible to get all 5 of my Bose devices on the same 5 GHz network until I started by first putting the radio on, then adding the other devices when the app asked me if I wanted to add the other devices it recognized. Before stumbling on that procedure, I found that sometimes the Bose app would not recognize my 5 network during setup of a specific device if I was using my iPhone, but would recognize the 5 network if I used my iPad. Or vice versa. But when I set up the radio, the app instantly recognized the 5 network no matter what iPhone/iPad I was using (yeah, I did it more than once). By starting with the radio, and adding the other devices during the radio setup process, I avoided that problem. 

(5) The app sometimes "loses" one of my Bose devices, depending on where I am in my apartment. This appears to have something to do with the extent, or lack of it, of the coverage in my 5 GHz network. But if I walk toward the location of the missing device, it links up - that is, it moves from "searching" stage to "ready to play" stage. And once it's detected, it doesn't disappear if I go back to the place it first couldn't be detected. Must be a weak signal, but the app can hold it once it's grabbed it.

(6) I can kinda sorta establish semi-permanent "groups" of speakers if I don't turn the speakers (or radio) off, but merely pause the music. I've done this, gone away for hours, come back, & been able to merely unpause the music & it plays on all the group speakers. OTOH, I've had one instance in which, even though the group was playing, leaving (without closing) then returning to the app degrouped the speakers. 

(7) Internet radio, one of my presets, will sometimes stop playing. Trying to restart the station using the Play icon doesn't work. Usually, selecting another preset & then returning to my internet radio preset, will get the music going again.

(8) Although it has yet to happen in my present setup, if the app "loses" a speaker it can usually be retrieved if I close out the app entirely, then open it again. 

(9) One of the things I did before moving everything to the 5 GHz network was delete the Soundtouch app on all my Apple devices & redownload it. I did this because I thought that maybe the app had been tweaked since I first downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, when the current version was released. Maybe it has been. 

(10) Another thing I did was to intiate the set-up of each of my Bose devices by a USB connection to my iMac. I figured this might get all the devices on the same, uh, ... wavelink. 

(11) As an aside, I found that a Soundtouch Link device can both broadcast from an Aux connection, and relay what's playing on the network to my stereo system through one of the input channels (I use the Phono input) albeit not at the same time, of course. 

So to recap:

1 - I connected all my Apple devices to my 5 GH network, with all my routers & extenders running in bridge mode.

2 - I deleted the Soundtouch app from all my Apple devices, then redownloaded the app.

3 - I determined to set up all the Bose devices on the 5 GHz network. 

3 - I set up all the Bose devices by starting on my iMac, beginning with the Wave radio device. 

4 - Once the radio was set up, I set up all the other devices without exiting the app (that is, I did not even leave it while letting it run in the background).

I am still annoyed that the base radio & cd functions on the Wave can't be broadcast to the other speakers. If I connect a Soundtouch Link to the headphone jack of the radio, I should be able to broadcast the radio & cd output to the other speakers (cutting out the radio speakers, though.) I did this at one point, but using a Soundtouch 10 speaker rather than a Link. I might consider it if the link to my stereo system turns out to be flakey, or if the internet radio connection keeps dropping, though it probably makes more sense to use a Soundtouch 10 for this purpose (to replace the muted radio speakers. I also think it might be possible to connect my 5 cd player to the AUX port on the radio & broadcast the music through the headphone jack connected speaker to the rest of the network. But it's not worth $150/$200 to me to do so at this point, as long as the present situation remains more or less stable. 

I hope all this is helpful to someone. 

SUBSEQUENTLY: I just went in to Soundtouch > Settings > About, out of curiousity, to check the signals & connections on my various devices, & found that the 5 devices are using three different networks, one of which is 5 GHZ and the other two, 2.4 GHz. The 5 GHz & one of the 2.4s emanate from my Airport Extreme router, while the other 2.4 emanates from my internet provider's combination modem/router. Yet all my connections are Good, except for one which is Great. Four of my five devices seem to have migrated away from the network I originally attached them to. So what I believed worked for me may have been illusory, or magic, or something. It might help, then, to close your eyes tightly and whisper "I believe, I believe, I believe I can fly..." when you do the setup...