Highlighted
Paul Westbrook
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

Can't search into my NAS library

Hi: I just moved my iTunes library from my Mac to a mycloud mirror NAS. The idea was to permit SoundTouch to access my library when the computer was sleeping. All the music is there and accessible, but the SoundTouch search function does not operate the same way. The search screen offers different options and there are no icons to the left of each search option. The search function is case sensitive - for example, ‘joni’ finds nothing, but ‘Joni’ (capital J) finds all Joni Mitchell albums. Most problematic, my iTunes playlists do not show up. iTunes is set up to permit sharing and the search function still works properly - and shows my playlists - when SoundTouch accesses the library through the computer. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can't search into my NAS library

Author Accepted Answer selected by Paul Westbrook

Hi Paul Westbrook,

Thank you for your post. You are correct, the search function is currently case-sensitive. I will certainly pass your feedback along to our development teams. 

As for seeing your iTunes playlists, here are some steps to try:

Exporting playlists from iTunes to use in the SoundTouch app

If you use iTunes to manage a music library that is physically stored on a NAS drive, you can use this method to export iTunes playlists that are compatible with the SoundTouch app.

To create and export an iTunes playlist of content stored on a NAS drive, follow these steps:

• If a playlist of NAS drive content has not already been created, open iTunes, select File > New > Playlist.
  • Name the playlist.
  • Add content to the playlist by either dragging it to the playlist title in the sidebar or right-click on the song/artist/album and click "Add to Playlist" then select the name of the playlist
  • Once all content has been added to playlist, right-click on the playlist title and select Export... (Any subsequent changes to the playlist iTunes will require re-exporting the updated playlist)
  • In the save window that appears, be sure to 1) save the playlist file in the same location as the music on the NAS drive and 2) save the playlist as an M3U filetype.
  • Once the file has been exported successfully, close the SoundTouch App and wait a few minutes for the NAS to identify the new playlist.
  • Upon opening the SoundTouch App, the iTunes/NAS playlist should show up in the Playlist grouping of the music library.

Notes:

• It is not possible for iTunes to export multiple playlists simultaneously, so the process can be time-consuming for numerous playlists.

• If the exported playlist does not show any tracks, be sure the contents of the playlist are referencing the files on the NAS drive and not the computer.

Let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian

7 REPLIES 7
CentralBK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Apr 3, 2016

Hi there,

Unfortunately this is nothing new. I bought a Synology NAS because it was recommended from Bose.

Since that time I can't search my NAS (which makes it useless). You can read my old Post (May 2017) here

Bose still advertises the use of a NAS system without telling that you can only play your library but not search (You can scroll too it manually, which really makes sense with thousands of individual songs).

Quote: Bose advertising text on Bose UK:

Experience your favourite music from your SoundTouch® speaker with the SoundTouch® app on your smartphone or tablet. SoundTouch® lets you take total control of your listening experience. Browse popular music services, as well as Internet radio stations or your stored music library. END Quote <- very misleading for the regular user

Quote: Bose FAQ from Bose UK:

SoundTouch® systems currently offer Internet radio (which offers access to roughly 20,000 stations from around the world) and music services such as Spotify®, Pandora®, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio™, SiriusXM, Deezer and QPlay, where available. They can also stream music from a music library stored on a computer or NAS drive. END Quote

So marketing and reality are very far apart. So is the customer service in this case. You'll find lots of NAS problems if you search the forum (and archive).

Best regards,

Central

Author Accepted Answer selected by Paul Westbrook

Hi Paul Westbrook,

Thank you for your post. You are correct, the search function is currently case-sensitive. I will certainly pass your feedback along to our development teams. 

As for seeing your iTunes playlists, here are some steps to try:

Exporting playlists from iTunes to use in the SoundTouch app

If you use iTunes to manage a music library that is physically stored on a NAS drive, you can use this method to export iTunes playlists that are compatible with the SoundTouch app.

To create and export an iTunes playlist of content stored on a NAS drive, follow these steps:

• If a playlist of NAS drive content has not already been created, open iTunes, select File > New > Playlist.
  • Name the playlist.
  • Add content to the playlist by either dragging it to the playlist title in the sidebar or right-click on the song/artist/album and click "Add to Playlist" then select the name of the playlist
  • Once all content has been added to playlist, right-click on the playlist title and select Export... (Any subsequent changes to the playlist iTunes will require re-exporting the updated playlist)
  • In the save window that appears, be sure to 1) save the playlist file in the same location as the music on the NAS drive and 2) save the playlist as an M3U filetype.
  • Once the file has been exported successfully, close the SoundTouch App and wait a few minutes for the NAS to identify the new playlist.
  • Upon opening the SoundTouch App, the iTunes/NAS playlist should show up in the Playlist grouping of the music library.

Notes:

• It is not possible for iTunes to export multiple playlists simultaneously, so the process can be time-consuming for numerous playlists.

• If the exported playlist does not show any tracks, be sure the contents of the playlist are referencing the files on the NAS drive and not the computer.

Let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian

Keith.adley@strother-labs.com
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 16, 2017

For those with a NAS library looking for a solution to the searching problem check out the excellent music server software called Minim Server at http://minimserver.com/

I installed this on my Synology NAS (it supports loads of different platforms) and I was immediately able to search my library whereas before it was useless.

I think it boils down to the way that the music server delivers the data to the music player and minimserver seems to be able to provide everything Bose needs.

Best of all its free although you can donate to the author. If you have any technical queries they have a great support community.

mattius
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Feb 15, 2017

Cheers for that, but it does seem bizarre Bose recomend and advise people to buy a Synology and yet it doesn't work.

Apparently last update it was fixed for Synology NAS', it made no difference. I believe you can search for Artist, but nothing else.

Keith.adley@strother-labs.com
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 16, 2017

To be fair to Bose (and that's not something I say often) I think this is likely to be down to the way that the media server presents the data to the player and maybe Synology have messed up somewhere as well. With minimserver the guy who writes it is very serious about compatibility and standards and seems to have made sure it works.

If I try to use my Synology media server i get very poor search results, most of the time I get error messages and no results.

bartkennes
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 26, 2014

My problem is related but slightly different..... When searching my music library on my NAS (WesternDigital MyCloud) I get inconsistent results.... It frequently turns up with no results although I am certain there should be valid results from the search entered. But sometimes I get "partial" results. For instance when I search for an artist called "Frank" the result will list "Frankie goes to Hollywood" but not "Frank Sinatra".

If I search via the Artist index I do find Frank Sinatra listed at the F. But this requires endless scrolling.

bartkennes
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 26, 2014

Reading through some other posts I conclude my search problem is related to the case sensitivity of the search function. How MS DOS is that? 

Good thing is that my NAS library is searchable as long as I get the capitals right...