Michi
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2018

Check what type of signal is received by Soundtouch 300

Hi!

I use a Soundtouch 300 with Accoustimass 300 and Virtually Invisible 300.

I have my Samsung Smart TV connected to my Soundtouch 300 using HDMI ARC.

Is there a way to determine if the Soundtouch really receives a 5.1 Signal? I'm not so sure what my Samsung TV passes through...

Would the Soundtouch 300 "upscale" a Stereo signal and also use the rear speakers if it receives a stereo signal via HDMI ARC?

Thanks, Mike

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
SkyYYZ
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Re: Check what type of signal is received by Soundtouch 300

Michi,

I have the same set up.  Regarding pass through, it will depend on your TV's capabilities. Both of my Samsung TVs (2015 and 2017, 8-Series) are capable of passing 5.1 channels via HDMI ARC and Optical. 

The 2015 TV is connected to the ST300 5.1 system via HDMI ARC:  (2017 model menu differs slightly)

1)  System -> Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC):  ON; Auto Turn Off:  YES;

Note:  Device Search - although my TV will acknowledge 'SoundTouch 300' as it is searching, it ultimately says 'Device not found' and then 'No Device' is checked by default. I can still control volume with either remote though, so it is working.

2)  Audio -> Additional Settings -> HDMI Audio Format: Bitstream; Dolby Digital Compression:  Line;

Note:  You will not see a Dobly Digital output option unless you set it Line, not RF.  RF is only 2 channel stereo.

Hope that helps some.  I'm no guru, but I believe it is set up correctly.

Highlighted
Michi
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 9, 2018

I'm pretty sure my Samsung TV only delivers stereo sound on the optical cable when external sources like a satellite receiver are used. At least it states so in the Samsung manual. Nothing is stated about audio passthrough limitations when using HDMI ARC:

I know how to make HDMI ARC work, my soundtouch 300, subwoofer and rear speakers play the audio. I wanted to know if there is a way to determine if the soundtouch 300 really receives a surround signal, or just "upscales" a stereo sound.

Highlighted
Jbaker
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

There isn't a way to tell unfortunately - this is also something i want on my 300 system as its reassuring to know your settings are correct.

I think it would be viable for Bose to add it to the SoundTouch app "system is playing another source" and on the now playing screen "dolby digital 5.1".

I ended up playing a Youtube video on my TV which was a sound checker video and had specific sounds to specific speakers "right surround" etc.

On My PS4 though it was pretty obvious as games have very distinct surround effects anyway.

Hope this helps,

Highlighted
SkyYYZ
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Michi,

After reading Jbaker's reply, I searched and found a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio file with discrete channels.  Each of the 5 speakers and the AM emitted discrete test sounds as indicated on screen. 

I chose the download link rather than playing it through YouTube and then transferred the 6 channel .avi file to a thumb drive, confirmed my TV's audio output settings and the test was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeItlnhFBxw

I think YouTube currently does not support 5.1. So u can download this video from following link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MOBiR_n5KRVFdzZ1d1ZG9GVHM/edit?usp=sharing After selecting the link Select FILE then click Download -or- Ctrl+S ------------------------------ General ----------- ...
Highlighted
SkyYYZ
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Michi,

I have now also tested a DTS audio file for discrete channel output. 

If you go to the link below, download the Master Audio Sound Check at the bottom left.  It's in DTS-HD MA but is backwards compatible with our ST 300 surround system and outputs standard DTS 5.1. 

I transferred the .mkv file to a thumb drive and confirmed it has 6 discrete channels before playing it on my TV.

Don't forget to set the audio output on your TV to DTS when you run the test (I forgot initially).

https://www.demolandia.net/cinema/dts-demo-trailers-hd/page-3.html?highlight=4

Highlighted
SkyYYZ
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

Jbaker,

I agree it would be beneficial if the ST300 would display the type of signal it is receiving on screen, as a reminder to change your audio output settings if your TV doesn't do it automatically.  Feature suggestion for Bose.

Highlighted
SkyYYZ
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2017

@Michi wrote:

I'm pretty sure my Samsung TV only delivers stereo sound on the optical cable when external sources like a satellite receiver are used. At least it states so in the Samsung manual. Nothing is stated about audio passthrough limitations when using HDMI ARC:

I know how to make HDMI ARC work, my soundtouch 300, subwoofer and rear speakers play the audio. I wanted to know if there is a way to determine if the soundtouch 300 really receives a surround signal, or just "upscales" a stereo sound.

Michi:

I investigated TOSLink (optical) output from a Samsung TV and found two useful bits of information that will a) confirm what your manual says about optical output, and b) provide a workaround to get DD and DTS via optical to the ST 300.  It also confirms that HDMI ARC will output/passthrough DD and DTS from the source.

First is a Moderator response to a question on Samsung's forum:

decoding.PNG

Next is a workaround used by someone using another brand of soundbar: Samsung TV won't pass through 5.1 on optical out if input is HDMI, need suggestions

Hopefully this thread covers questions people have about Samsung TVs and the ST 300 with regards to 5.1 audio output formats for HDMI and TOSLink (optical).