WaMade
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Cinemate 130 and Turntable / TV issues

Hi Guys,
I have a Cinemate 130 soundbar system and have coupled it to a Numark TTX turntable to listen to my vinyl collection. All working great except for one small nuance that i hope the community or a Bose rep can solve.
The turntable is connected through the Analog L+R connections, I have set the source signal for the analog to AUX. Now every time i turn on the cinemate system either using the main on button on the Bose remote or turning on by selecting AUX button on the remote, it also turns on the connected Panasonic Viera TV. Turning the tv off using either the TV remote ot Bose remote causes the whole system to turn off. It appears there is no way i can listen to records without the TV turning itself on or being able to turn the TV off during record playback.
Is there a solution so i can just listen to my records without the TV turning on. A small however big nuisance.
Kind regards,
Joel
7 REPLIES 7
shawn_o1
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jul 14, 2015

Re: Cinemate 130 and Turntable / TV issues

Hi WaMade,
There are a few things I would like you to try to see if we can resolve the TV turning on and off like that for you when using your turntable. I would like you to try turning off CEC control in the Bose menu and turning off Viera Link on the Panasonic TV.
To turn HDMI CEC on or off in the Bose menu, follow these steps:
1. On the Bose remote control, press the System button
2. Press the down arrow to navigate to "3 HDMI-CEC"
3. Press the left or right arrow to adjust HDMI CEC setting:
4. DEFAULT ON: Enables CEC
5. OFF: Disables CEC
6. Press EXIT to exit the menu sfter setting this to off.
The next step would be in your Panasonic TV menu. You will want to use the Panasonic remote and go into the menu to locate Viera Link You will want to shut that off as well. Then test your Turntable on the aux source again.
I hope this helps,
Shawn

WaMade
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Hi Shawn,
That suggestion is all well and good and im sure it will work. We try it when i get home later on, however.....
I also have a ps4, and a dvd system connected to the system which makes the ability of individual system wake up and the use of one remote quite desirable.
Is there a way to disassociate the TV on with the Aux input only? I dont want to turn off the TV wake for the other functions. Using the one remote was a big deciding factor in buying the bose system. The manual says that Analog input which is set to Aux is not switched through CEC.
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello WaMade,
After turning off the CEC function on the console and the Panasonic TV, the TV should stop shutting itself off when selecting a source.
Once CEC is off, you are able to manually enter the remote codes for your external products such as your TV, PS4, DVD player, and turntable with the "Source Power" button directly to the right of the main power button on the remote. This means that the TV should not turn on while pressing the AUX button.
Let us know if turning off CEC helps at all and we can take it from there.
Thanks for your time!
WaMade
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Ok Michael.
Turning off CEC and Viera link does stop the TV turning on with the AUX select button and stops the complete system shutdown when trying to turn off just the TV. My best work around is to turn off the viera link auto on feature for the TV and use the bose remote source button to now do this. Although this works and is something i will get used to, we pay good money for these systems to "just work" or have the ability to tailor it to meet the required function.
My frustration is why is the bose system turning the TV to turn on when im asking it to excite the analog inputs. Analog has no link to hdmi or CEC and i therefore should not act as if it does. Is this a good idea for the development team to rectify in a upcoming system update?
I do have one other issue with the bose / panasonic tv integration and that is the Bose remote will not bring up the full screen channel guide. It performs every other function except the most important one. Can the Bose remote learn a button function from the tv remote? I would like to be able to reduce the amount of remotes i require to function.
Would i be better off purchasing a top universal remote and teaching it how to operate the bose system?
Love the bose cinemate and soundtouch. Just a few niggles getting in the way of a seamless experience
Joel
Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello WaMade,
Curiously, which page did you see the caveat about the AUX input on in the owner's manual? What you may be seeing is that the Audio Only inputs are not able to be controlled via CEC, but if CEC is turned on, this could cause issues the other way such as turning on the TV unintentionally. There are many different version of CEC, and although we try to be compatible with all of them, we sometimes can see intermittent issues such as that.
The Bose remote controls the TV using a remote code. Have you tried any other remote codes for Panasonic? A different remote code may give you more functionality than you are receiving at the moment.
Let us know if that helps at all.

Thanks again.

WaMade
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Hi Michael,
In regards to your "caveat in the manual question" option 13 on the actual unit menu is set analog input. This I assigned to AUX. my logic would assume this would negate all CEC control o other connected devices as im not aware of any devices that can be controlled by l/r audio output cables. However im not a tech head either and learning more each day.
I have had success with choosing another remote code for the TV. And have about 70% functionality for the pioneer dvd play also connected. I dont mind having full control of the dvd. Where is the "more" button on the bose remote. I must be blind. Maybe this will give me the ability to eject a dvd without pressing the button on the original remote or unit itself.
The system is working better together now, but still quite a few steps away from seemless and perfect. Im glad i didnt drop the big dollars on the lifestyle 135 system as i would be livid by now.
At least it sounds great and i guess with your system firmware updates we may see better compatibility in the future.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

WaMade,

It seems like Shaun and Michael have given you most of the details you need here, but I will chime in with a few points of clarification.

• CEC control for the TV and other devices is a very simple protocol, and it cannot differentiate which source the Bose system has selected. Other components can only sense the CEC signal that the Cinemate has turned on, and respond by powering on as well. This can definitely be inconvenient when trying to use an Audio-only source like your turntable.
  • The "More" button you mentioned in your last post is something that only appears on remotes for our Lifestyle systems. Cinemate products do not have this button on the remote or any others which would bring up on-screen menus. 

We appreciate all of your feedback on this thread, and we're glad you are enjoying the audio quality on the system.
Thank you.