rerollea
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2016

Connect ST Speakers through two routers at home

I have two routers at home

One is directly connected to the internet and serves a first LAN with WIFI (INTERNET_WIFI) ; the second, connected to the first, creates a second LAN with wi-fi (let's call it HOME_WIFI) covering the whole home. (*)

Now I can't seem to manage to connect the ST 20 to HOME_WIFI. (**)

That is problematic as my computers, which run the soundtouch app or can stream with ApplePlay, are all on that HOME_WIFI LAN.

Any clues on router configuration that would allow this to work ?

(*) Obviously I can access the Internet from HOME_WIFI via INTERNET_WIFI.

(**) Multiple attempts : I have reset ST20 to factory setting, then tried to connect it to HOME_WIFI with my computer USB link plugged in it. This has failed at various times, generally after connecting to the WIFI when setting the name of the device. Also, I have tried to connect the ST 20 with an Ethernet cable directly on a switch I have on this network, no success either. However concerning Ethernet I have a suspicion that the board is damaged as it won't connect to the

The few links that looked promising on this topic on this forum are no longer available, as support explained to me.

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Knowledge-base-links-all-wrongly-point-to-Echo-dot...

Thanks for any help.

1 REPLY 1
Brandon_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Connect ST Speakers through two routers at home

Hi rerollea,

Thanks for the post, and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with connecting your systems.

The second LAN that you have (HOME_WIFI), is this a completely different network with a different IP range?

Do INTERNET_WIFI and HOME_WIFI have different SSIDs and passwords?

Can you try connecting your ST20 via Ethernet directly to your routers in order to eliminate variables?  Do any activity lights appear on the ethernet port on the ST20?

Let us know so we can get this working for you.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support