Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 29, 2017

Connect SoundTouch 20 with AppleTV

I upgraded to an AppleTV 4k from an old AppleTV and connected it to the same HDMI port on SoundTouch 130. I am able to hear audio but the video on the TV does not come up. Is there a compatibility issue with the AppleTV 4K and SoundTouch? AppleTV4k works fine when connected to the TV directly. Do I need to buy a special cable in order for the AppleTV 4k video to work with the SoundTouch 130.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Connect SoundTouch 20 with AppleTV

Hello dkasturi, 

Thank you for your inquiry. There is indeed a compatibility issue that is causing the no-video issue you are experiencing. Based on Apple's support page, step 5: "Check other components" states:

• Verify that your receiver is capable of displaying 4K and higher video, and that you're using HDMI inputs that support 4K and HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 signals.

The issue has to do with the HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) requirement. Although the SoundTouch 130 console does support 4K video pass-thru, it supports HDCP version 1.4. Many newer 4K devices now utilize HDCP version 2.0 or higher. Unfortunately, these newer devices are not backward-compatible with HDCP 1.4 devices. You can learn more about HDCP here.

Now, let's talk about a workaround. You mentioned that video works fine when you connect the Apple TV directly to your TV. This is actually what I'd recommend as a permanent setup. Next, you'd have to connect a digital optical cable from your TV, to the SoundTouch 130 console. This will allow the audio to pass through your TV, to the SoundTouch 130. 

Let us know if this helps!

Best regards,

Brian