Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
postmich
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2015

Connecting ST Wireless Adapter to Cinemate 130 fails

Hi all,
I bought the Cinemate 130 in Nov 2014 and really love its sound!
As I would like to use all the network benefits - like hearing web radio etc. - I bought an ST Wireless Adapter beginning of March 2015. Unfortunately I'm not able to connect it to the Cinemate. 😞
Here are the issues:
1) Whenever I connect the adapter to the console of the cinemate (via bose link), turn it on, the display becomes frozen after a couple of minutes. Even after disconnecting the cable from the console, its display remains frozen. I have to unplug the power cord for a short while and reconnect it again.
2) When I keep the cinemate turned off after connecting the adapter, sth different happens: after a couple of second the console's display shows "Installing" (although I did not turn on the console!) and the installing bar starts to raise, however only for some seconds. Then the display changes to "Error, contact Bose" and becomes frozen as well.
Here are the things I already tried:
a) Keeping the adapter's control button pressed while connecting it to the console --> The WiFi indicator starts blinking white --> the indicator becomes solid white for a couple of second, after that blinking white again, then blinking slow amber --> same issues as described in 1) and 2)
b) Trying to update the Cinemate via usb stick --> update fails during copy of *.upd-file to Acoustimass module.
I exchanged the adapter with another one --> same issues as described above.
Does anybody have any tipps or experience?
BR
Michael
Germany

7 REPLIES 7
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Connecting ST Wireless Adapter to Cinemate 130 fails

Hi Michael,

The Cinemate 130's console software will absolutely need to be updated to the latest version before the wireless adapter can be connected successfully. If you are having trouble with that update via USB, we will need to resolve that problem first. 
Please try the following

1. Make sure that you are using the update file found here: updates.bose.com/cinemate
  2. Disconnect the Soundtouch Wireless adapter from the boselink connection on the Cinemate 130 while performing the USB update on the subwoofer.
  3. A few seconds after you connect the flash drive to the Acousimass module, the LED indicator on that module should turn green, flash briefly, then shut off. If the LED does not change after connecting the USB drive, remove it and reinsert it.
  4. if the failure continues, please let us know the exact error symptoms you see, including any exact error messages on the system.

Let us know. Thank you. 
postmich
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2015

I did this procedure several times. the result is always the same:
the LED turns green and the display of the console shows "Installing". The copy-process seems to start the right way. after 2-3 minutes the LED starts flashing permanently and does not stop. The display of the console is frozen and I have to disconnect the power cord to be able to turn on the console again.
Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

postmich 
Let's try forcing a factory reset to the console before trying to update again. You can do this  with the steps below:

1. On the remote control, press the System button
  2. Press the down arrow to navigate to "16 FACTORY RESET"
  3. Press the left or right arrow to factory reset the system
  4. Press EXIT to exit the menu 
  5. Try loading the software again after the factory reset. 

Can you please also check on what version of software the console is currently running? You can use the steps below to find this information:

1. Turn the console on to any source
  2. On the remote, press and hold the Red button for 4 seconds to bring up the System Information Screen
  3. Press the Red button to cycle through the information
    1. CONSOLE: 2nd line: SW version
    2. ACOUSTIMASS MODULE: 2nd line: SW version
    3. SOUNDTOUCH (if connected): 1st line: SW version

4. To exit the System Information Screen, press Exit.

Let us know what you find. Thank you. 

postmich
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2015

George
when doing the factory reset before trying to update the system via usb stick, the result is the same as mentioned in my previous answer. Maybe it's important for you to know that the process to trigger the factory reset is slightly different to the steps you have described:
1. similiar to your guidance
2. similiar to your guidance
3. different: I have to press button "5" to factory reset the system
4. different: the console automatically turns off after the reset --> pressing EXIT not needed.
Regarding the SW version, there are also differences in my system:
1. similiar
2. similiar
3. different: Only these two lines show up:
"010011
1.0.11"

That's all. There is no functionality to show the different SW versions via cycling through the information. I pressed the red button several times (I checked the other colored buttons and arrow buttons as well), but nothing happened.
Pressing and holding the red button for 4 seconds again, leads me back to the source. 😞
Any idea?
Regards Michael

Michael_Fitzpat
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Oct 6, 2014

Hello postmich,
It certainly does look like the system is not updating correctly. I have a couple more questions and steps to try to isolate the issue:

1. I had noticed in your original post you had mentioned the system the system update failing when the file was being transferred to the Acoustimass module. Curiously what did the error message say exactly when the software update failed?
  2. Have you tried rebooting the Acoustimass module by unplugging it from power for a full two minutes then plugging it back in? This may correct any small or minor hiccups that may be occurring when the update is attempting to transfer.
  3. Another thing that we could try is to see if another USB drive will work for the update. It may be a possibility that the drive is incompatible so the best next step in terms of troubleshooting would be to re-download the update file from the link George had posted above, and trying the update with another USB stick. We recommend FAT32 formatted drives for the updates.

Let me know if that helps at all and we can take it from there.
Thanks for your time.
postmich
Participant
Registered since

Mar 11, 2015

Hi Michael,
1. There is no "error message". The display shows "Installing" and the bar below grows up to 2 milimeters or so.  Then the display freezes after 2-3 minutes, still showing "Installing" and the small piece of bar. Then I can't do anything with the remote control. I have to plug off the power cord.
2. Yes, several times.
3. I tried this with a 128 GB and a 32 GB stick. Both Fat32 formatted. Always the same result (see 1.).
Any idea?
BR
Michael

Bose_-_George_P
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Michael,

We would strongly recommend that you try this udate with a smaller drive. Due to normal limitations of the filesystem, A FAT32 partition typically cannot be created that is 32GB or larger. 

In any case, if we cannot update the Cinemate system by any means then that product would require harrdware service. You would want to contact support in your region for further assistance with this. 

In the USA you can call 800-905-2156 - Hours are M-F 9am to 9pm EST; Saturday 9am-6pm. In other regions you can find contact details by visiting http://global.bose.com  and selecting your country from the drop-down menu.
Thank you.